Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Home Tiki Bars

The Lagoon Room....

Pages: 1 37 replies

A

................Is GONE!!!!!!!!!

Mahalo,
Al

How come? Are you guys moving or something? Oh, by the way, I e-mailed you guys last week about that papasan chair you guys recovered the cushion with tapa fabric. I wanted to know how you did it, and where you got the fabric large enough. Can you help me, I would like to do something similar, as I have the same chair from Pier 1 imports.

H

New carpets??????

Al, you sneeky little dog.
I know why
I know why
And I am not tellin

I bet I can guess. Bamboo floors, right? My parents have bamboo floors in their bedroom, totally kicks ass.

M

Hey, that looks scarry. Whats happening? Hope all is fine. Hope to see you guys at the Hukilau. Joe.

The DVD of Tiki
http://www.armchair-travelling.com

[ Edited by: Mogambo on 2004-11-26 04:47 ]

Appears to be a preponderance of moisture! Go easy on the Mop'N'Glo!

NOOoooo! Please tell me this is just a bad dream and it will all be better soon! PLEASE!?!

um.... the lagoon room is going to become an actual lagoon?? :tiki:

Don't tell me...the Monster House guys are gonna turn your place into a Studio 54 Disco dungeon. If you see me crusin' your street the next coupla weeks, I'm just there to pick through their dumpster.

I remember you mentioning something about bamboo floors at ITD. Good luck with your project. Can't wait to see pictures, or in person for that matter!

vw

H

It is the ceiling, the ceiling, ceilie ceilie ceiling.lalalala.

A

Al

[ Edited by: alnshely on 2004-11-12 12:42 ]

FANTASTIC!

I love the porthole, that's just perfect. The floor is welll...drool worthy of course, and the tapa wall is beautiful! I have a big piece, 10 X 12 or so, I'd like to make lamps with, but I don't have the courage to cut it up yet!
NICE job!!

Looking awesome you two. What a ton of work you've done on it. I can't wait to see it in person!

Looking great! Cant wait to see the new Lagoon room is person, keep the pics coming.

P

It all looks fantastic ! Did you start with prefinished or unfinished bamboo floors ? Also wondering, how did you attach the tapa to your walls ? We're re-doing part of our basement, and I have some tapa that I'd like to incorporate. In previous places that we lived, I just used a few thumbtacks to attach it to the walls, as we were renting. I'd like to do something a little more permanent now, that really smooths things out and keeps it flat against the wall. Did you use some kind of glue to attach it to the walls ? Any input would be great, thanks.

[ Edited by: puamana on 2004-11-12 14:51 ]

M

No more walking naked around the house behind that porthole!

Looks great, amigo.

S

Whew!

Haven't been here for a while and I thought, "oh no, first the East Indies Room and now this!"

Glad to know that The Lagoon Room lives!

Looks great, Al & Shell.

A

Tiki Wahine: I'd like to see pics of those lamps when they're finished.

Mach Tiki: we'll have you over soon. I'm almost done

Puamana: I used EZ Hang Wallpaper Paste. I also bought a $3.00 Brush used for hanging paper. It is a long brush with only one row of bristles. You use it dry and smooth the paper with it. It was my first time and it
worked well for me. My Tapa had voids in it, I slit a few open and repaired them with Mod-podge.

Martiki: Now, I am Captain Naked.

Stentiki: See you Friday Uncle Artie!!!

Mahalo,
Al

[ Edited by: Alnshely on 2004-11-14 18:04 ]

H

ok everything looks great, when is the party????????????????????

JT

I dig the beach scene painting over the fireplace in the first photo! Who is the artist?

Thanks

On 2004-11-14 17:54, Alnshely wrote:
Mach Tiki: we'll have you over soon. I'm almost done

:D I Can't Wait

Alnshel
Beautiful!
I got the bamboo floor too. You'll love it. 2 things though, it scratches very easily and its very slippery in bare/sock feet (you can slide for miles). :)

On 2004-11-15 19:18, Tiki Rider wrote:
Alnshel
Beautiful!
I got the bamboo floor too. You'll love it. 2 things though, it scratches very easily and its very slippery in bare/sock feet (you can slide for miles). :)

Sounds perfect for a Jackrabbit Slim's twist contest.

I got this on the 395 in Garnerville Nevada for $6.00

I don't know is that Kono?

The glass part of this lamp is as big as a basketball. $3.00 garage sale find.
Mahalo,
Al

Great work Al! Can't wait to visit the new improved Lagoon Room - Now With 100% More Bamboo!!!!

JT

Great Painting! I'm not sure who Kono is...but it definitely resembles some of the Highwaymen artwork here in Florida.

I came across one by Harold Newton at a garage sale for $10 and sold it 10 days later to a collector for $4000.

I'll see if Kono is on the list.

8T

It all looks beautiful. I especially like your porthole and your knocker. (on the door)
:) :) :)

J

Looks fantastic! How was the installation of the bamboo flooring? The wife and I have been contemplating replacing the ugly-ass hardwood floor in our family room with bamboo but I've been balking due to installation. Is it tongue and groove like traditional hardwood? Can you use a pneumatic flooring nailer like you would with hardwood?

A

Jon,
I used pre finished carbonized bamboo. I used a urethane based glue and glued down straight to the concrete. Bamboo plank is tonge and groove and you can nail it down. I think it looks good, but, I think it is pretty fragile. Tiki Rider put some down and he agrees with me. It may be I am Hyper sensitive to every scratch 'cause I Just installed it, after awhile I might not notice. I kept hearing this stuff was bulletproof, now I'm not so sure.
Mahalo,
Al

J

Al, thanks for the info. - I too have heard that the stuff was bulletproof so I am surprised to hear that both you and Tiki Rider have found that it is not. With two whacko Boston Terriers, a toddler and a newborn maybe we should reconsider something a little tougher...maybe poured concrete would work. :)

Gecko's freind gave me the print on the left. Suicide Sam made the one on the right.

Black Velvet from Gecko's South Seas Arts
Mahalo,
Al

[ Edited by: Alnshely on 2004-11-17 11:57 ]

That's a beautiful picture of Shely, Al.
Look forward to havin a tale with you two this weekend!!
Mahalo for sharing.

M

Al,
Great place.
Shelly... Va Va Va Voom!!!!

MTK

On 2004-11-17 07:55, Alnshely wrote:
Jon,
I used pre finished carbonized bamboo. I used a urethane based glue and glued down straight to the concrete. Bamboo plank is tonge and groove and you can nail it down. I think it looks good, but, I think it is pretty fragile. Tiki Rider put some down and he agrees with me. It may be I am Hyper sensitive to every scratch 'cause I Just installed it, after awhile I might not notice. I kept hearing this stuff was bulletproof, now I'm not so sure.
Mahalo,
Al

affirmative on those scratches, the first few I was all stressed out about them when I was trying to be oh sooo careful moving furniture back in. I guess now I just look at those scratches as "character", yeah thats right character. anyway, I got some minwax wood stain from the installer to camoflage the scratches. I use "golden pecan #245". You might try it. It does an ok job.

I came upon a sample piece at the Expo Design Center - took my car key and give it a light to medium scratch and sure enough it left a mark - I'm so glad I found out about this before we moved ahead with our project.

MT

I never saw the old Lagoon Room. Al, is there any chance you can repost some of the pics from this thread, and the Lagoon Room Improvements thread as well? I'd love to see it, especially since I'm in the thick of my build.

Pages: 1 37 replies