Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Oasis IV photos and story in Japanese magazine

Pages: 1 16 replies

A

Oasis IV attendees this year might've noticed a Japanese magazine crew inscrutably observing the festivities. This resulted in a four page piece in Mono magazine, reproduced below. Mono is the kind of magazine that shows new products and trends for young Japanese hipsters. This issue may still be on the newsstand at your favorite Japanese bookstore. Lots of familiar faces in there...

-Randy

[ Edited by: aquarj on 2004-09-11 18:33 ]

A

Randy,
Thanks for posting I'm going to the YAOHAN and see if I can still get one.
AL.

[ Edited by: Alnshely on 2004-10-12 08:46 ]

That is really neat-o. It took me several minutes to compose myself after see the pic of Reloy. Classic.

lol!!....yes. reloy! reloy!!!......but seroiusly, this looks great, gonna try to hunt down a copy mahalo for postin this.

A

Glad you're enjoying it! Sorry if this is too late to add, but the issue is the 8-16/9-2 issue, and the cover subject is Levi's.

-Randy

T

[ Edited by: TNTiki on 2004-11-06 18:49 ]

Maybe You can ask RELOY to get you a copy!!!

S

Otto is looking very sexy there! LOVE RELOY! Ben and Al, well, hey... What can you say?

That's great! I gotta admit there's more coverage of the event presented here than I've run across in any U.S. publication. The Japanese are such "culture vultures" it doesn't surprise me they picked up on this. (BTW - great pick of BambooBen as well)

D

i particularly like the composition of picture "M" ~ the jaunty way the palm fronds stick out of his head.

and of course Reloy!

H

Reloy.Reloy.Reloy. I cant get over it.LOL. Hi, my name is Reloy, but you can call, me Ree.

A

A little more info for anyone hunting for a copy of this. The issue is available direct from the Mono Mag website. But you have to be able to read the Japanese on the website, and they probably only ship to Japan. So that probably doesn't help, but it does show the cover. Otherwise, a Japanese bookstore chain that might be able to help is Kinokuniya. We got our copy at the SF branch. They're good in general for tracking down Japanese books.

-Randy

I'd love to have one. Thanks for posting this aquarj

M

Reloy number one! Go go American carver of tiki style love!

Ya know what's REALLY "funny" about the name "Reloy"? If you SAY the actual word "Reloy" with a Japanese accent, it COMES OUT "Leroy"!!! Hmmmm, do ya think they were clever enough to print it that way on purpose so their readers would get it right? It's the new Tiki mystery of the ages. We may never know...

Very cool of you to post this, aquarj! I missed Oasis IV so this was great to see.

I work 5 min from a Kinokuniya in Costa Mesa, Ca...I'll go over there tomorrow to see if they've got the magazine and maybe I can try to hook a few TCers up with a copy (I'll check out the price of the mag too).

Reloy Rocks!
TikiTimbo

T

WoW! I made it into the Japanese magazine without even trying. That is me in front of the stage taking picture of The King.

Pages: 1 16 replies