Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

interview for a french fanzine

Pages: 1 30 replies

Hello all,

I run a french zine called achierpointcom (website : http://www.achierpointcom.com) and I'd like to interview a tiki carver for our second issue. If you are interested, reply to this post and leave your email address. First come, first served.

Thanks.

[ Edited by: Matthieu Oxbow on 2004-09-13 04:05 ]

No one is interested in being interviewed ?

looks like you posted in the wee hours of the morning here in the u.s. (particularly on the west coast where many carvers are). give it some time. i'm sure someone will respond.

aloha from a non-carver!

[ Edited by: Tiki Chris on 2004-09-13 10:30 ]

Mattieu I'll help out if I can as someone close by, PM or email me if you want

V

Salut Matthieu,
There's a nice carver called Phil Totem that works in Biarritz, check out his work here

Thanks everybody for your contribution. The interviews will be conducted in a few days.

B

Add me to the list if you want. I had to wait for hurricane Frances to leave, but I'm here now.
[email protected]

FACEBOOK

[ Edited by: Benzart 2010-06-23 05:13 ]

[ Edited by: Benzart 2010-06-23 05:14 ]

B

Virani, That PhilTotem does some GREAT Stuff. WOW

No kidding! I just wish the site were in english. The pics are great, though. Real nice style. I'm gonna go back to this site a few more times for sure.

B

Mattheiu, I received the copy of the Fanzine in todays mail and it looks great. Thanks for the English translation. I learned a lot about our dear Sam G and Cheekytiki across the pond.
Sam you selling personalized "Paint" shirts now? I'll take one!
Anyway Thanks for the article and exposure.

T

BENZ
you should post the trans article if you think that we would like it

B

I can't get my scanner to work ever sincenThe RevBambooBen's quit, mine will not reinstall.
I'll see if I can get it going tomorrow. I'm sure you guys would love the parts about Sam Gambino and CheekyTiki, but the rest is not so great.

Hey Ben-
I'm anxious to get my copy - probably today. Thanks for the review. I forgot about the painter shirts comment. I'll dig a few off of the floor of my work closet! Any other shirt orders? :)

http://www.samgambino.com

[ Edited by: sam gambino on 2005-02-22 13:48 ]

B

Got an e-mail from don tiki of the Fanzine today. He will probably post the interviews on their website for all to see soon.

Hi all,

The interviews are just too big to be readable attentively on the Web, particularly for our flash site. We'll be more likely to put samples of interviews (a teaser).

Nevertheless you can have the .doc english version of the interviews on the magazine here :

http://dontiki.free.fr/Bretzel/Tiki/Tiki.doc

(save)

All the best !

B

Has Anyone and Everyone found this Fanzine interpretation (in MS Word) These are the interviews with Sam Gambino, Cheekytiki and Benzart. All the stories are really great. They are too long to scan and post here in TC I think. Any input on this?
Here is the MSWord document http://dontiki.free.fr/Bretzel/Tiki/Tiki.doc

Hey Ben, I got mine a few days back. I enjoyed reading about you and cheekytiki. I learned a lot that I wasn't aware of...

http://www.samgambino.com

[ Edited by: Sam Gambino on 2005-03-11 21:03 ]

TC Artists: This is MUST READ material.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Ben, "Jimbo", & Sam - thanks for all the insight. You all have a unique story, but there's some common themes here: Love of tiki, a strong passion for art, and inspiration from TC, among other sources. It's good to hear that the other artists here are part of your inspiration, as we draw so much more of the same from you. Great article. Congrats & Mahalo, guys.

A-A

very interesting read...thanks for posting
this...and to A-A for suggesting that
everyone read it....great info!

Thanks for your kind words, AA and conga. I think the articles were well-written, and wish the fanzine a long, successful life.

Couldn't agree more Sam.
Thanks to Mattieu and the Guys at Aicherpoint

On 2005-03-11 19:03, Benzart wrote:
Has Anyone and Everyone found this Fanzine interpretation (in MS Word) These are the interviews with Sam Gambino, Cheekytiki and Benzart. All the stories are really great. They are too long to scan and post here in TC I think. Any input on this?
Here is the MSWord document http://dontiki.free.fr/Bretzel/Tiki/Tiki.doc

Thanks all for this nice feedback. I hope these interviews will help to promote (at our little scale) Tikis and all the spirit around.

To answer to benzart, yes it is too long to post or scan EVERYTHING on the forum. With the link people can print the document and read it quietly in a rocking chair.

B

Bump for TC'rs interested in the interviews of sam Gambino, Benzart and CheekyTiki.
There have been new TC'rs asking about my carving history and this is the best way I know to explain it.

B

Bump again for some interested peeps

H

Great reads! It's interesting to know the history behind the artists. I bet the Vegas gig was awesome, Ben. Alot to read though, I'll have to finish it later.

B

Thanks Howland, YES the Vegas Job was Awesome. I will have to read it and post the pictures that they posted with the stories, I may be able to find them for all three of us as I have an original. It was a fun interview. He basically mailed me these questions and asked me to ask myself the questions and then Answer them as best as I could he read them and we added some and took some out, he was Great to work with.

Very cool article. I was wondering how old were you when you carved that first tiki and what age did you carve in Vegas?

B

THanks Bindy, I was about39 when the first tiki came out and the Trop job was in 1989,90 and 91

Z
Zeta posted on Wed, Jan 27, 2010 10:31 PM

I would like to see the actual scans from the fanzine...

B

I'll se if I can find it for'ya. Thanks.

F

Hey I just downloaded the article and interviews, makes a great read, some good stuff from Benz, Sam and Cheeky Tiki
Regards
Flynny

Pages: 1 30 replies