Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

35mm, 16mm, Super 8 and old Tiki footage wanted for Tiki DVD

Pages: 1 16 replies

M

Who has access to old film footage of tiki related things: Hawaii, Polynesia, Trader Vic, Don the Beachcomber and so on?

I would be great to make these things available for the tiki community. We could use it on our Armchair Travelling Tiki DVD.

In case you have vintage Super8 material from you family vaults, we could offer a free transfer to DVD or miniDV for your archive.

The DVD of Tiki

http://www.armchair-travelling.com

[ Edited by: Mogambo on 2004-11-26 04:40 ]

I have two reels with some tiki gardens footage. I have to edit them as they have other tourist footage on them.

Contact me if you're interested...

I have a friend who has editing equipment, and a transfer set up, so I might be able to do the dirty work on my end.

But it is going to have towait to at least the end of my Florida stormchasing holidy. HOOOK West Ivan!

TG
http://www.exotic-tiki-gardens.com

M

Hey, that sounds great. And we will meet at the Hukilau if Ivan allows.

I, unfortunately will not be at Hukilau. I am out here to visit family, and visit my ailing father in the hospital.

I will let you know when I've had the chance to get the transfers done.

TG
http://www.exotic-tiki-gardens.com

[ Edited by: filslash 2008-09-12 14:48 ]

D

King Kukulele showed a old super 8 (I think) from a 1957 trip to the Islands at the last Tiki Taix.

Mogambo,
I have an 8mm home movie of the Mai-Kai show taken in the mid-70's. I found it at an antique shop that was going out of business. It is a fairly long reel.
I also have an 8mm home movie my dad took of the Kodak hula show in Hawaii about 1970. I put both of these on VHS last year, the master turned out pretty good but home-made copies of the master didn't reproduce all that well. If you think you can use the films, I'll bring them to Ft. Lauderdale.
KG

M

Hi K-Geoff, that is exactly what I was looking for. If you bring the reels to the Hukilau I can offer to make digital copies and send them back to you including a nice crisp backup on a DVD. Which is much better than VHS, of course. That is exciting. I am glad that IVAN goes playing somewhere else.

The DVD of Tiki

[ Edited by: Mogambo on 2004-11-26 04:40 ]

M

Attention-Attention-Attention
Today the 25th of October 2004, I am posting the very last call for any kind of material that you would like to offer for the making of the "DVD of Tiki". If you think you have rare and exciting film material that you think is worth sharing with the tiki community please hurry an drop us a line within the next 7 days. We have to get this going because postproduction has to move on. The audience cannot wait forever. The release date has been scheduled now for Spring 2005! Please think about it. If you have Super8, Video or simmilar give us notice and we will arrange the rest. This is the last call. Cheers.

The DVD of Tiki

[ Edited by: Mogambo on 2004-11-26 04:23 ]

M

Aloha, I just returned from a faboulus Tiki Oasis V. Thanks to Otto and Baby Doe for doing such a wonderful thing. Mahalo to all the great people I met.

I was very happy to show a 20min. preview of our DVD project: The DVD of TIKI.

Since we are still editing, here again the call for vintage tiki footage. Who has got Super8 or similar from the 60s etc.

Thanks

And very good it was too, well done, good to meet you and we look forward to seeing more.

M

Finally we are moving with the DVD. Just started steady editing for the next 6 weeks. No more on the side editing. It does not work for this big project.

So here again my urgent question:

Who has access to old film footage of tiki related things: Hawaii, Polynesia, Trader Vic, Don the Beachcomber and so on?

How about the reel from the Maikai?

I would be great to make these things available for the tiki community. We could use it on our Armchair Travelling Tiki DVD.

In case you have vintage Super8 material from you family vaults, we could offer a free transfer to DVD or miniDV for your archive including all shipping costs.

T

What about vhs. Would that work?

M

Hmm, VHS is not good enough. Do you have vintage tiki footage on VHS? Where is it from?

H

I have some home/vacation movies (8mm) that I bought a year or so ago for the sole purpose of finding some vintage tiki/luau footage from back in the day. I bought a projector to view them on as well but it arrived in many pieces so I have not seen them yet. I can't verify that they contain what you are looking for but I've been keeping an eye, albeit a lazy eye, out for a projector so I can watch them.

Some of the titles of the 6 reels I have are:
Feb-March, Hawaii-1968
Florida64-65, Silver Springs
Hawaii-Wailua 70-71
Hawaii 1979

Some are faded/illegible so I can't tell what the label reads. One of the seller's descriptions of one of the reels (the Florida one, I beleive) read something like "luau type party with people drinking". Sounds like fun to me!

PM if interested. I like the transfer to DVD idea but I would need the reels back as well for cutting loops (of waterfalls, volcanos, surfing, etc.) to show on side of neighbors house during parties---makes a great 'backdrop'!

M

coool. hey folks: of course you get the material on a DVD …AND your original footage back. :)

I have a 16mm reel from 12-18-57 titled "Princess Leilani"-Keep Your Eyes On The Hands. Let me know if you need it.

Pages: 1 16 replies