Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Sabu & Tikibelle's One-Year Aniversary Tiki Cocktail Party - October 9th

Pages: 1 45 replies

Tikibelle and I will have been married one year on October 11th! Time certainly flies when you're having fun, and the two of us would like to share the fun with you on Saturday, October 9th with a small, intimate cocktail party for about a hundred or so of our close friends.

We've been working hard on the house all year and are ready to open it up to the public. Doctor Z, master of libations and concoctions has kindly agreed to supply a watercooler-full of Chief Lapu Lapu and will probably be taking a stint behind the bar, mixing Mai Tais, etc. It's rumored that Tikibird and Utopian Dream may be bringing some of their famous home-brewed somethin-or-other.

I will be out at the grill as usual, cooking up my famous Spicy Coconut Chicken Skewers and Chile-Lime Shrimp.

Vintage turntables will be spinning. Exotica cds will be random-shuffling. There may even be spontaneous swing-dancing!

Festivities start at 5:00pm and go on till the wee hours of the morning.

Here's where we could use your help:

I'm no good at bartending - my place is out at the grill. And I don't want to stick my good friend Doctor Z behind the bar all night. We need guest bartenders.

If you've got a famous drink you'd like to share with the group and are willing to take a "Guest Spot" behind the bar for an hour, we could sure use your help. As at Doctor Z's party, I'll have most of your
basic alcohols and mixers behind the bar, but if your drink requires a special ingredient, you'll need to bring it. Let me know on this thread or by e-mail or P.M. and I'll add your name to this post as a guest bartender. The more bartenders we get, the easier the job for everybody.

Guest Bartenders So Far
Doctor Z
Ran (kick-the-reverb)
Humuhumu

On Food Contributions
Since I'll be cooking Chicken and Shrimp, I could still use any side dishes, snacks, salads or desserts you'd like to make. If you let me know what you're bringing, I can add it next to your name below, so that others have an idea of what's still needed. Alcohol is also welcome. Again, though - A food donation IS NOT REQUIRED to attend this party. We want to see YOU - so come as you can and don't stress about it.

A Sleepover?!
For those of you travelling far or who do not want to watch your drinking like a Protestant Minister (of which there will be several attending :),) - We have a guest room with a trundle bed, a large futon w/frame in the family room, and plenty of floor space for sleeping bags. We also have room for 3 or 4 tents in the backyard.

So feel free to sleep over for any reason. Maybe we can all hit King's Hawaiian for breakfast in the morning.

Attendees:
Here's the list of confirmed Tiki Central attendees so far. We also have plenty of other friends and family coming as well - And they LIKE Tiki, so don't be afraid. If I neglected to add you to the list, please let me know and I'll put you on forthwith. (I know my faulty brain has already forgotton a few of you):

Doctor Z & Dolphin Tiki
Tiki Bird & Utopian Dream
Vintage Girl & Atomic Cocktail
Kickthereverb - (Ran & Dale)
Humuhumu
Tiki Steve
Bamboo Dude
Al & Shelly
ookoo lady
Hiltiki
Polynesian Pop
ChikiTiki (Tiki Diablo)
The Bongofurys (bringing a cake).
Laney
Trader Pup
Hakalugi
The Velours
christiki295

Possibles:
Sperm Whale
Futura Girl
Tangaroa

So please come join my lovely wife and myself and help celebrate what has been for me the happiest, most challenging, and most rewarding year of my life. And wish us many more.

Directions:

From the 405 North or South: Take the 110 (Harbor Frwy) South. Exit at 223rd Street and turn Left. Take 223rd Street for about 5 lights to Grace (light) and turn Right. Take Grace 1 1/2 long blocks to 229th Street. Continue straight one more block (jogging a little to the right) to 229th PLACE. We are at the corner of Grace and 229th Place. Address: 421 229th Place, Carson, CA 90745. There is a Stopsign on the corner and the biggest Eucalyptis Tree you will ever see in our front yard. Looking forward to seeing you!

[ Edited by: Sabu The Coconut Boy on 2004-10-08 14:53 ]

Congrats Sabu & Tikibelle! Wow, has it already been a year since your wedding??? I'll definitely be there with something for the table.

D

Well,happy 1st anniversary,early!I don't believe you've given us the recipe for the chile lime shrimp-please do!If you've already put in the the food and drink section,disregard this part of the post.

Congratulations on your anniversary, and thanks for wanting to share the celebration!

I'll be there! I'd love to be a guest bartender, if you'll have me. I don't have a special drink, but if you want to pick something out of the Grog Log or Intoxica, I'll make sure I have it down before the party. At Dr. Z's party, I made a few Mai Tais and Beachbum's Owns, and no one spit them out. People were pretty drunk by that point, tho.

Thanks Humuhumu!

We'd Love to have you guest-bartend. It wouldn't be a party without you!

Take a look folks - the talent is assembling.

Ran (kick_the_reverb) has graciously offered to mix his famous "Reverb Crash" for the guests.

Humuhumu has also graciously offered to mix mai-tais and Beachbum's Owns for us.

The guests have been RSVP'ing. I've begun stocking up on the alcohol. It looks like quite a party is shaping up here. We look forward to seeing you all. Who else can we expect?

[ Edited by: Sabu The Coconut Boy on 2004-09-22 14:51 ]

H

count me in, I would love to come

Bump.

in

OL

Alright everybody, this is coming up next weekend! What can I bring?

ookoo

Ok - down to the final stretch!

I've updated the first post with a list of attendees so far - so please let me know if you're not on the list.

I've also addressed the question of food donations that so many of you have been graciously concerned about. In short, we can use side dishes, salads, snacks, and desserts of ANY kind. If you let me know what you're bringing, I'll even add it next to your name so that others can see what's already been covered.

We do also have possibilities of a SLEEP-OVER. See the first post for details.

Thanks again to all who have RSVP'd so far. It looks like it's going to be a Smashing Good Party!

Sabu

B

Aloha........I will bring .........Mrs. Fury........she will bring .......a cake......................O.K?

Excellent, Bongofurys! Sounds good. Thanks.

P

I'm in. I'll also offer to lend a hand at the bar if needed. I'm not going to mix any particular drink, though. I'll do mojitos, mai tais, zombies, whatever.

The Velours will be there!

Sabuuuuuuuuuuuuu! (and TikiBelle!)

I don't have the original "party link" that you two originally emailed! Do you have room for one more person?

CA

ya?????? me too

CA

hey... from lack of sleep, lack of good sharpie, and lack of judgment... i didn't sign any of my #13 mug's i sold in long bch... bring yours and i will sign it and also bring the numbered tag.

see you tonight

Count me in - MonkeyBoy has to work, but is mixing up a batch of our house drink for me to bring along!

Anyone going from the general downtown LA area that might want to carpool?

H

What a great party, after a few Dr.Z. mai tais there was no pain and life was just great. I met a lot of new TCers and had fun. Thank you Sabu and Tikibelle for a great party. Oh, lets not forget delicious, chicken and shrimp, specialty of the house.

Thank you guys for a lovely evening and congratulations on your first year of wedded bliss.

i think we need to have more record listening parties! that was fun - i wish i wasn't so sleepy. i could have stayed for a few more hours having sabu expose our ears to sea world and other delights!

T

[ Edited by: TNTiki on 2004-11-06 18:08 ]

K

Most notable quote of the evening overheard at the bar while Dr.Z was mixing:

"Remember the last time you made me a drink, I sucked on it for three hours and I was still completely smashed!"

Sabu, Thank you & Tikibelle for a wonderful tiki evening!

I am still misty eyed everytime I think you saving that incredible hanging tiki lamp from the late tikibar in Wisconson.

You are the ultimate host - whether ensuring that your guests (even the late arriving ones) tasted the superb barbque shrimp, continuously manning the barbque for your delicious spicy coconut chicken or traveling to the flower mart for tea leaves for the ultimate pupu serving platter, your tiki aloha shined throughout!

Kickthereverb - Your smashing, award-winnng cocktails are worthy of all acolades and you are a tireless bartender.

Floratina, the soft strains of you playing the ukelele will hardly do until you can play an entire song.

Doctor Z, thank you for instructing me that there are more ways than one to spell agua.

LAWebChick, I love the flora dress & I look forward to receiving that link.

Sabu and Tikibelle...thank you so much for welcoming me into your home, and being such awesome hosts! Yes...I drank too much, but could never, ever, get too much of that wonderful spicy coconut chicken stuff. I was actually disappointed when UtopianDream handed me a skewer of barbequed shrimp...one of my favs...go figure!!

Being the first TC party I've been able to attend, I am so humbled by all the good people I met. I had to leave early...stupid thing about having to work today...and I know I didn't properly excuse myself, so to everyone I met, and especially to Sabu and Tikibelle, I just want to say what an awesome group you all are, I am happy, happy, happy. May Boo karma be with you all!

Sabu and Tikibelle, we had a great time. Thanks so much for hosting a such a cool party. You guys have a great house for this type of scene, and I hope you invite us all back again when the remodeling is done. Besides hanging out with all the TC people, it was fun seeing your collection and selection of tiki artifacts. What an amazing record collection! Of course the food and drinks were fabulous, too. Anyway, here's a link to a few photos. See you soon!

http://www.mutantqueens.com/sabu_and_tikibell_2004.htm

CA

here's some magic moments

old fresh meet for the Sabu' BBQ

second shift- mad reverberations behind the bar

behind every great man...

the "Lime Levitators"
first place... the power of the skull

behind every..... "he's just getting started!"

second place... teem effort

third place... laser eyes strikes again

[ Edited by: crazy al on 2004-10-11 00:32 ]

I had the strangest dream...

Two people opened up their home to me and and made the most awsome chicken kabobs I've ever had... a few beach bum's later (not to mention a Reverb Crash) I had my hands on a ukulele, downed a few bags of remedy and then vintagegirl almost killed me in my own car. All in all, it was the most fun I've had in years.

Sabu and Tikibelle, I never knew what the phrase "aloha spirit" meant - you guys are wonderful! Congratulations on your first year of marriage!!!

[ Edited by: Beatnikine on 2004-10-11 09:36 ]

TB

Thanks for everything Sabu and Tikibelle, Utopiandreem & i had a great time. Also thanks to Dr. Z. & Kick the Reverb for the drinks, & Dale for finding my tiki necklace.

What a great time, didnt get home till around 3am!

Well - sounds like we missed a great party! We will definately make the next one....

Congrats to Sabu & Tikibelle!

Thank you, Sabu & Tikibelle, for such a wonderful party! It was a lovely time. Thanks also to Dr. Z and kick_the_reverb for their tasty drinks, and UtopianDreem for pitching in to help with Sabu's tasty BBQ. It's probably for everyone's benefit that I wasn't needed for guest bartending duty... I was unusually tired and probably would have mixed something atrocious.

My pics are up, and you can see them here:
http://public.fotki.com/Humuhumu/party_at_sabus/

but the only one that really matters is this one:

Critiki - Hundreds of tiki bars, Polynesian restaurants, and other sites of interest to the tiki traveller, collector or urban archaeologist

[ Edited by: Humuhumu on 2004-10-11 16:56 ]

L
laney posted on Mon, Oct 11, 2004 6:46 PM

Humu, you are queen of pictures and that new camera is amazing. But had I known you were taking my picture, I would have smiled....my ass :wink:

http://public.fotki.com/Humuhumu/party_at_sabus/img_0348.html

H

Whoo! I didn't notice that, or I wouldn't have posted it. I can yank it if you want, although I don't think it's too revealing, and your keister does look loverly...

L
laney posted on Mon, Oct 11, 2004 6:59 PM

I was just joking. It's not bad, I actually couldn't even tell if I was on crack but I asked my son if he liked this picture of me. He laughed and said "your butt crack is showing"
I'm so unphotogenic :(

[ Edited by: laney on 2004-10-11 19:02 ]

Congratulations to Sabu and Tikibelle. Great party, food, drinks, and people. Love the photos Humuhumu. Did you get a shot of Laney's cool necklace? I think I drank too much.......Combover.........

On 2004-10-11 18:46, laney wrote:
Humu, you are queen of pictures and that new camera is amazing. But had I known you were taking my picture, I would have smiled....my ass :wink:

Made Unga smile.
Side note: Apologies to Mr. laney

I'd been there if I wasn't so far away. Still fun to know you guys are out there - rockin'!!
Hello to the Tiki Ti's gang!

[ Edited by: sneakyjack on 2004-10-12 11:37 ]

Great party!! Thank you so much Sabu and Tikibelle. You two should have a wedding anniversary every year!

Thanks to everyone who came and helped us celebrate our Anniversary in style. You made it such a fun event for us. We both loved seeing the house filled with people enjoying themselves. It was great meeting you new TC'ers as well and hope you felt at home enough to join us for many other events.

Thanks to the bartenders who put in the long hours so cheerfully. You almost fooled me into believing you were enjoying yourselves. The drinks were superb!

Thanks for all the food and alcohol and gifts! We were overwhelmed with your generosity. Tikibelle and I popped that bottle of champagne that one of you left the next morning and made Mimosas - which led to me dropping and breaking the first of our wedding goblets - exactly one year after receiving them on our wedding day. Probably a good omen. I'll probably break two next year.

Thanks to those who rolled up their metaphorical sleeves and pitched in to prepare the chicken, serve food, juice limes, wash tiki mugs, and help the whole event run so smoothly. You deserve medals. It was too much work for Tikibelle and I to do alone.

I had a stellar time and it just proved to me again what a great family we have here on Tiki Central. Tikibelle and I were talking about making this Anniversary cocktail party an annual event around the weekend closest to October 11th each year.

Thanks again.

This party was mighty enjoyable. Do it again! They actually have record albums in their vintage built-in record cabinets. Another great touch is the hi-fi console with the modern stereo that fit in it perfectly. Yummy food. Great bartending, Ran and Z. Thanks, Sabu and Tikibelle :)

Many congrats to our lovely Tikibelle and her man Sabu (the truest Master of the Grill if there ever was one). The coconut chicken skewers were at their most divine and tender. It was an all around wonderful and happy gathering. Many thanks to our gracious hosts for letting us share in the festivities. (And who made those awesome pasta salads, BTW?)

Krustiki, I said that even before I had a drink in me!

Floratina, I will have to have to work on my footing to battle you once again in the "Cleavage Crushing Combat".

What a great party it was, Dale and I would like to thank Sabu & Tikibelle for inviting us all, letting me bartend, and for generously letting us sleep on their comfy futon. The company, food, and music were all superb. Thanks Dr. Z for making me one of the tastiest Mai Tais I've ever had. Nothing like hand squeezed lime in front of you.
Also thanks to everyone who helped me at the bar - including, but not limited to, Dale, Utopian Dream & Mrs. Bongo Fury.

Here are a few more pics, courtesy of Dale:

The lovely Velours

TikiBird & Utopian Dream

No Tequila was used in the making of the drinks.

Ms. Floratina proudly showing her Tiki mug's minty hairdo

Mr. & Mrs. BongoFury

See ya'll next time!
Mahalo,
Ran

TB

Hey PolyPop & Floratina, how did the reverb crash-in-the-bag hold up?

It was delicious. I love the TC cocktails-to-go concept pioneered by Poly Pop.

I didn't have my Reverb Crash leftovers until Monday night to accompany my dinner (as you know from my phone call bragging about it :) ) and it was excellent. It didn't lose a thing and tasted as fresh as it did on Saturday. The mint was still fresh too!

BTW -- the Oktoberfest was good. I'm not sure if it was as fresh as it was on Saturday only because I didn't try any while I was there.

H

hey Plypop, what if you froze this stuff in the freezer and use it some other day would that work????? just kidding.

Pages: 1 45 replies