Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

The Tiki Tones

Pages: 1 15 replies

Does anyone know if this band still play and / or still record their music. I have their Suburban Savage LP and their Enchanted Sounds... 7" and I really dig their sound, but their website hasn't been updated since a long time. I have also read on this message board that the band features Shag the artist. Does he play in it or did he only design their sleeves ?

[ Edited by: Matthieu Oxbow on 2004-09-14 09:40 ]

V

No, I don't think they're still playing. Their last mini albums "the leisure experiment" was not even surf but more electro-lounge.
Shag was a member of the band, as a guitarist, as well as he also designed the covers.

I'm always hopeful that they will play some more shows. They layed low for a while, then came back and now seem to have faded from sight for a while.
Yes, shag played with them at the beginning, and for most of their recordings too. Last time I saw them (2002) they had a different guitarist, and for a while had various other musicians with them too.

Shag did all the covers and the covers for most of the other new surfy bands too, and a whole bunch of other bands as well. Look through your CD collection of new surf CDs and check the liner notes - you'll find his name as the artist for most of them
[ Edited by: Polynesiac on 2004-09-14 19:20 ]

[ Edited by: Polynesiac on 2004-09-14 19:22 ]

Thanks for the answers. I wish they released more stuff.

From what I understand, he was also in the Huntington Cads.

Phil Dirt says of the 'Go Exotic' album:
"The Huntington Cads reside in that void between the Tiki-Tones and Surf, where the waves are reverbin' in the structures, and the lounge is adorned with tikis and torch lanterns. The playing is pretty, luscious, precise, and very clean. Many tracks feature that wet surf guitar lead, and acoustic guitar rhythms, while others feature a Martin Denny vibraphone. Oleaje Exotica Deluxe!"

Trader Woody

Is he in a new band ?

On 2004-09-17 11:09, Matthieu Oxbow wrote:
Is he in a new band ?

My understanding is that the 'Cads' were around before the Tiki Tones. They had a release on the old Flipside label, which folded a good while back.

If you're asking if he's in a band right now? Beats me, but I can't imagine he has the time he had 5 years ago.

Trader Woody

I never knew SHAG played guitar. I even have a cut or two from both The Tiki Tones and the Huntington Cads. Does anyone have any old band photos or know what guitar he played? Seen his custom Fenders he paints on but I'm curious about his stuff before 1997.

Bomboras, The Space Cossacks, Del-Fi comps and Mai-Tai comps are some of the covers SHAG/Josh Agle did. I was really surprised how many he had done when I started looking at my collection. My favorite is Del-Fi's "Surf Monsters"

B

Here's a piss-poor discography of sorts i made about Shag's musical work -

http://covetshagmuzak.blogspot.com/

i'd like to add a list of where he only did art for the CD/LP covers, but i'm too damn lazy.

i read somewhere that he prefers Mosrite guitars.

Thanks a million! A Stoli toast is placed in your honor Baron V. Don't underestimate yourself; your site is a treasure.

Here's a strange coincedence. My wife and I use to attend almost every Tiki Tones show, plus I was a big fan of Shag but I didn't realize he was in the band. I saw what I think was his last show with them at the Doll Hut in Anaheim. After the show I said hello and told him how much I enjoyed his art. I think my wife and I were about the only groupies they ever had. We loved it when they would play with trucker up. I think one of the other members of the tiki tones works for Hep Cat records, a great resource for psychobilly, rockabilly and lounge records. Man I use to dig Kitty 21!!

Okay...so I had given up on the idea that the tikitones would ever play agian when...after noticing that trucker up is going to play alex's in LB next Friday, I decided to give their website another looksey and YOWZAH! they're back!

http://www.tikitones.com/shows.htm

you folks in SD are lucky. I wish I knew about the din din show...

:tiki: By all means pick up the Tiki Tones first L.P.(C.D.) "Idol Pleasures" it is a classic! It is on Docter Dream Records 1996 (long out of print),but worth the search! Just stay away from E-bay, where the price will get out of hand! Fire Good!

Yeah, that Din Din show was amazing. They are such a rad band. They did a full set of Calypso music too.

Wow, how did I miss this?
I have most of the stuff listed,
but there are a few rarities in there,
I never heard of.

Jeff(btd)

On 2004-09-22 16:41, BaronV wrote:
Here's a piss-poor discography of sorts i made about Shag's musical work -

http://covetshagmuzak.blogspot.com/

i'd like to add a list of where he only did art for the CD/LP covers, but i'm too damn lazy.

i read somewhere that he prefers Mosrite guitars.

Pages: 1 15 replies