Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

my tiki tattoo story...

Pages: 1 9 replies

V

I had this traditional tahitian tiki canoe tattoo on the leg for a few years, and I was always wondering where this canoe was going...I thought they needed a destination.

As I'm really interested in polynesian mythology, the evolution of the race...I was happy thinking that this cannoe was hoping for a new land to live on, as the polynesians used to do when they conquered the islands.

Anyway, I wanted to make this island on my chest, and of course, I wanted this island to be a tiki island, already garded by the gods.
And I thought it could be nice to have a wahine waiting for the tiki cannoe on this tiki island. And as I'm a amateur uke player, I wanted her to play the uke.
And I also wanted to have a sailor jerry kind of tattoo, as I love the old school style, and so it would make a nice evolution of tatt through my body, from the traditional tahitian-marquesian tattoo to the modern, with plenty of colors.

After looking for the right person to do it, I found out that Sunny Buick was living in Paris. She's a really talented artist (having arts on Otto's exhibition), from SF, famous for her back tattoo photographed by Pierre & Gilles, her publication on Juxtapoz magazine, her tattoo style...so she was perfect for the job and her style is definitly the one I was waiting for. And she's a tikifan and loved the idea.

And here's the result :

pics by mogambo

Some details pics by me :

[ Edited by: virani on 2004-09-16 14:21 ]

T

Verrry nice. She captured it all. Love the Jerry sailor look. The red Tiki is cool too. My congratulations.

F
foamy posted on Thu, Sep 16, 2004 1:20 PM

Hey virani, let's see the canoe on the leg too. If your gonna show us the destination, let's see the transportation! She did a way nice job on ya!

B

Cool Story Virani and what a super Island paradise to sail home to. Yes I would love to see the canoe too.
Beautiful

V

I updated with the tiki canoe tattoo. Also, the tattoo looks much more better today, as the pics were taken the tattoing day. The color are a bit less flashy...and I love living with it.

Nice ink, bro.

M

Hey Virani, that developed well. It is great how the colors settled now and once the skin has recovered, the whole beauty come out. It was a pleasure to watch how it was masterly don by Sunny. My respect to Sunny - great job. And my respect to Virani - great choice. Thank you for the wonderful Paris experience again.

For those of you who would love to see (live) how Sunny did Viranis tattoo - look out for the our "DVD of Tiki".

The DVD of Tiki
http://www.armchair-travelling.com

[ Edited by: Mogambo on 2004-11-26 04:46 ]

Beautiful work man. Great choice of design and colours.

Sweeetttt

Very nice. Congratulations!

Pages: 1 9 replies