Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Polynesian Resort Tiki Mug - Insight?

Pages: 1 20 replies

TM

I saw this mug posted on ebay and was wondering if it is still available (manufactured) for purchase or is of the vintage variety. I haven't seen it in my travels (possibly being in CA doesn't help) and I think it's prety cool. I would love to add one to my collection. Any info would be appreciated....Thanks

Hey Matt, I am no expert, but I was just at the Polynesian resort with my wife earlier this year. I picked up a Polynesian resort signiture mug, but it is the old clear glass 2 faced mug everyone has. I think I am right in saying that the one here is vintage from long ago. They also did sell the mugs from the Tiki Farm 4 pak, and the ceramic Tiki Farm coasters, but I did not see this mug at all. There was alot of Oceanic Arts weapons, masks, and paddels on the walls though. They have a restaurant upstairs with many huge tikis representing many islands in Polynesia, but we didn't get a chance to eat there.
Aaron

Yep, that's an old one, not made anymore. It could be called the "original" Pele mug, cause that's where the design hails from. But it is so far off, not very well conceived, in my opinion.
Still, for the collector of rare odd mugs, this is a prize.

TM

Thanks guys, I'll now make it my mission in life to obtain one!

HL

Hmmm... I don't think it's super-old, judging by the logo on the back. The really old stuff is marked "Polynesian Village." I wish I could remember when the name changed -- maybe the mid-'80s or early '90s.

But still, it's the first time I've even seen that guy!

F

I heard through the grapevine that these mugs are back now, and they're using (selling?) them at the WDW Polynesian Resort in the restaurant and bars.

I havent gone and checked it out yet in person, but I find it oddly "coincidental" that this mug is suddenly up on Ebay, when it used to not come up very often.. hmmm

I have an original one, and it says "village" not "resort" which also gives me a fishy feeling

anybody know the scoop? Is this a new Tiki Farm repro by chance?

Look at the shadow below the word "Resort"
Would a modern robotic glazer make that mistake? I wouldn't know, I have never been in ceramics.
Just a thought.

Alohaz,
It's not ours. As far as lidded mugs to though, there is another run going on next year for the Bali Hai in San Diego and a few others!
Mahaloz!
Holden

"Look at the shadow below the word "Resort"
Would a modern robotic glazer make that mistake? I wouldn't know, I have never been in ceramics.
Just a thought."

You mean the additional word "resort"? If so, that's the photo. There's a double image there, which can be seen in the ear and the grout on the tile.

On 2004-09-17 09:29, RIBEERGUY wrote:
You mean the additional word "resort"? If so, that's the photo. There's a double image there, which can be seen in the ear and the grout on the tile.

You're absolutely right.

Yeah, there's def a double image there.

The whole thing seems fishy to me- I might run over to WDW this week and try and find those new mugs

On 2004-09-17 22:51, fatuhiva wrote:
Yeah, there's def a double image there.

The whole thing seems fishy to me- I might run over to WDW this week and try and find those new mugs

Fatuhiva - If they have any let me know, I'd gladly pay you for one...

We went to the Polynesian Resort in August and spent hours taking pictures of tikis and looking for tiki stuff to buy there. We saw nothing for purchase that was half as cool as that mug.

Howdy! If you could get/send one for me that'd be GREAT too! I'd gladly chip in some add'l for your troubles.

Well this thing nearly doubled it's selling price in the last 2 hours......the winning bidder outbid Dan (danlovestikis) by $5.00 in the last 10 seconds......that must have been dissapointing....or maybe a relief?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/ebayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2270257184

F
foamy posted on Tue, Sep 21, 2004 8:45 PM

Wow. $417 and change.

well, I got the scoop on the "repro" of this mug. My friend had it all wrong.. they had one at the bar or something sitting there not for sale, but they do have "tiki mugs" for sale in the gift shop- they way he originally told it to me was- "hey i saw one of those at disney, and they sell them in the gift shop too!" or something to that effect. It wasn't until I grilled him hard on it that I realized he was getting things mixed up ...so that one's gotta be the real deal.

HL

Good lord in heaven -- I thought the yellow glass bamboo glass was rare, or the hurricane style glass with the opening year "boat in front of the contemporary and castle" graphic were rare, but this takes the cake.

Holy Mickey & Minnie!
I have one of these, and it is in the Book of Tiki. The face looks like the image of Kon-Tiki on Thor's balsa raft. I think they are pretty rare. I found mine at an an antique store two years ago.
KG

HL

Update --

That form of the logo was used until sometime around the year 2000-2001. The mug may, in fact, not be that old.

With any luck, the unwashed masses are just starting to get sick of having them now and we'll see a flood of them in the market soon. :wink:

HL

Looks like I'm onto something -- two more of them just showed up on eBay, probably trying to cash in after the first one went for so much.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=29460&item=2272100715&rd=1
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=1380&item=3932825210&rd=1

Pages: 1 20 replies