Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Question on wood choice

Pages: 1 2 replies

Okay, I'm going to take the plunge and start carving me some tikis. I can see all of the great things that people are doing here, and I'm encouraged to give it a try.

Living in NYC, though, finding logs is not going to be easy (apart from a late night trip into Central Park with a chainsaw). What kind of woods are best for carving? Since my choices may be limited, it might be better to ask what woods should be avoided. Forgive me if this has been posted before, my search didn't reveal much info.

B

You can use pretty much any wood you find up there. White Pine is very easy to carve and should be redily available. Ask around at different tree trimmers and I'm sure you will find them All willing to give you More than you need.
Don't forget to take plenty of pictures and to Post them here...

Hey - if you're in manhattan, you could just go to a home depot like store and buy a 4x4 and carve that up. I use the redwood that can be found at HD - just keep your chisels sharp and it will be good to carve.
Try to stay away from the treated poles...treated poles are no good (very bad for lungs)

Pages: 1 2 replies