Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Tikis spotted at Feast of San Gennaro, NYC

Pages: 1 1 replies

D

Every year around this time the Feast of San Gennaro, aka The San Gennaro Festival is held in the Little Italy (or for you old school people "Litt-el It-lee") section of Manhattan. It's basically a street fair with (obviously) an emphasis on Italian food and culture in honor of the Patron Saint of Naples, and stretches several blocks on Mulberry Street south of Houston to Canal St. While I was walking through there today I saw several 'Pina Colada' booths that serve the drink in non-alcoholic form. Much to my pleasant surprise all of them had some variation of ceramic Tiki mugs to serve them in. One had the green 'Shecky' type, while others had brown Tiki God, Surfer Girl and Coconut shell mugs. All most likely supplied by Dynasty Wholesale. I woulda got one, but I wasn't really up for drinking a fake Pina Colada for $9. I also noticed one booth that was serving Mai-Tais with alcohol, but I didn't bother to try. My guess is that it is probably some sort of coconut drink. Not to mention, I had just eaten 4 Zepollis, something I never do, and felt like I gained 10 pounds just from doing that. So drinks were out of the question. So yeah, Tikis in Litt-el It-lee. Who woulda known? By the way if you're not familiar with the Feast of San Gennaro you can see it in the final scene of the Martin Scorcese film 'Mean Streets'.

aloha :drink:

[ Edited by: donhonyc on 2004-09-17 17:36 ]

JV

Ahhh..... I can smell the sausage and peppers from here.

Pages: 1 1 replies