Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

Hukilau-who's bringing costumes to wear?

Pages: 1 8 replies

Hey everyone! I'm planning on bringing a couple of costumes to the Hukilau. So far I have a mermaid and a hula skirt w/ leis etc. Any other mermaids out there? Anyone bringing pirate garb? I'd love to get together a group of pirates and/or sailors to carry me in my mermaid costume! (tee hee!)

U

I'm coming as a fat white guy in a Hawaiian shirt, toting a ukulele. LOL

[ Edited by: Ukulare on 2004-09-20 11:49 ]

[ Edited by: Ukulare on 2004-09-20 11:49 ]

I'm bringing my birthday suit.

On 2004-09-20 12:39, FLOUNDERart wrote:
I'm bringing my birthday suit.

That could be the scariest costume yet. :wink:

even without a costume people say I'm a character. trust me you'll know me when you see me .I'll be one of the 4 heavly tattooed bunch ....oh that's also including my wife she has more tattoos then most men and she's a looker too

Jeff'll have a bone through his nose, Bali Hai style.

A

Last year Inky Louise and I wore mystery girl costumes that I made. We wore them at the Mai Kai on Saturday night. My mystery girl costume is packed in my suitcase, but I don't know if I will wear it.

We asked the owners/operators at the Mai Kai if we could wear the Myster Girl costumes in the resturant, before we put them on. The owner/operators were very flattered that I had made costumes much like those worn by mystery girls in the past.

The Mai Kai does have a dress code, but if I recall it was ok for the men in the group to come to the Mai Kai in shorts and aloha shirts. Men can not wear ball caps inside.

The owner said that back in the day the women would get really dressed up in evening wear and jewels when they went to the Mai Kai for the dinner show. So out of respect for the Mai Kai I think I would want to look well dressed for the evening. As for the the rest of the events and parties at Hukilau, I believe they will be less formal. Have fun and do what ever you feel comfortable doing!
Mahalo,
Shell in the Pacific

Thanks for the info. Mystery girl, huh? Wow. That sounds neat. Is that the same costume as the girl carrying the flaming drink & looking seductively into the camera lens in the Book of Tiki? I love that costume!
Well, if the Mai Kai night is going to be a little more formal, I will save my costumes for the other nights & wear my best hawaiian dress that night w/ some glittery stuff. Perhaps I will wear the mermaid one on the cruise or maybe Friday for the concert...
Angela

A

Yep. When I made it I used the girl on the back of the BOT as my guide. The first one I made had brown tapa bark cloth for the waist band and top, but then a week later I found red tapa bark cloth. I couldn't rest until I made one using the red cloth! I was coming unglued. I ended up bringing the extra costume and Inky was brave enough to join me. We had a blast! I'll see you at Hukilau!
Mahalo,
Shell in the Pacific

Pages: 1 8 replies