Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

Questions about The Hukilau (surprising my bf)

Pages: 1 9 replies

Hi everyone! :D I am so sorry to be posting this if it is a repeat question. I tried finding it but didnt, and it might be right under my nose. Im which case I am embarassed and sorry! lol!

However, I have a question about Hukilau reservations. I just moved to Ft Lauderdale about 3 days ago, and live very close to the Mai Kai. However, I have been there once before my move. Today I called to book reservations for The Hukilau for next Saturday night, and they booked me for the standard floor show and dinner. FANTASTIC! :D I was happy about that, but then asked if there was a separate reservation that had to be made, for The Hukilau. She said "No, you just made a reservation for The Hukilau". I said "I did? So the floor show and dinner and Hukilau is all included? For the same price? As it would be any other night?" She paused for a bit and then said "What? Ummm, yeah. It's a private party. For The Hukilau." I said "So what do I have to do to be a part of the private Hukilau party?" She said "You are." I said "For how much extra? Or is it the same price as any other night where there is no Hukilau?" She paused again for a long time and said "What? Yeah." The conversation got SO CONFUSING, for the two of us! I said I would just arrive on Saturday. She thanked me and hung up. So I tried to call back and couldnt get through. I got a recording asking me to try again later.

SO, I am really confused now! The Hukilau on Saturday night... my boyfriend and I have reservations for dinner and a show. Is the whole night there The Hukilau for everyone who goes to the Mai Kai that night? Or do we book that seperately with someone else to be a part of the Hukilau group? Does the event cost anything extra, and how much? I want to make sure I bring enough money, obviously. What am I paying for? And so on.

I REALLY appreciate your help! I am really excited about going and meeting everyone! :D I am surprising my boyfriend, because many months ago he took me to The Mai Kai on one of our very first dates. So it is a place of romantic nostalgia for us. He has helped me through some rather difficult times over the past few months, and helped me move into my new home so close to The Mai Kai! I am so much happier, and want to thank him by treating him through the entire evening. How much money should I bring? (he payed for the show and dinner the last time and didnt let me see what he spent, so I dont know how much this is about to run me). He really deserves to be treated on this special night. He pampers me all the time, and I want to give back and do something really spectacular for him. SO I am surprising him with a night out at The Hukilau. He has been a prince and a dream come true, and I want to make his evening as magical as he has made my entire life.

Thanks for your help! :)

~Lenore

What was the question again??

LOL EXACTLY!

I made reservations for dinner on Saturday night, and the show. Is that all that needs to be done, to attend the Hukilau? Or is that a seperate reservation I need to make?

Sorry this was all posted in such a confusing way... I am just... confused. And a little drunk on tiki drinks again. Which doesnt help.

Lenore :)

U

My understanding is that HUKILAU has reserved all seating for the first two dinner shows (7pm and 10pm) on Saturday night. Therefore, if you booked one of those dinner shows, they assume you are a "Hukiluer". The dinner show cost $9.95 per person but the reservationist probably took $25 from you as a deposit because last year they had a lot of no-shows so they're trying to cover their assets.

I'm attending the 10pm dinner show and so I have a DINNER reservation for 8:30pm. There's no eating during the show so they want to feed you and clear the plates before the first fire dancer hits the stage.

They're having two happy hours too. I believe the times are 5-7 and 7-9. I'm getting there around 6 and paying for 3 hours of tropical drinks and loading the hump, like a camel. King Kukulele will be entertaining in the Molokai Lounge as I swill and spill.

Are you going to the second show also? I think the first show sold out back in July.

To kipepeo:

OK. Sounds like you're confused & I might be able to help you. I'm not an organizer of this event, but, this is what I understand to be true:
For Saturday night, this is the deal: You've made a reservation at the Mai Kai & paid for the floor show, right? If not, call 'em & make a reservation. It's about, what? Ten dollars. Ok.
Then, all you pay for when you get there is what you eat or drink, just like at any other restaurant. I would bring enough money to pay for a nice dinner & drinks for you & your boyfriend.
Still confused? Go on the hukilau website: http://www.thehukilau.com, & it will tell you all you need to know if you still have questions. The Mai Kai also has a website. Look it up on Google & you'll find it. Remember to have fun. This Saturday should be a great time! See you at the Mai Kai! :)
Angela

[ Edited by: Mermadia on 2004-09-20 12:31 ]

THANK YOU SO MUCH! lol Yeah, I was confused! Im so embarassed about that. Crap! I need to lay off of the tiki drinks! hic! lol

What I made a reservation for, was the only show left for that night. That was the 8:30 dinner, and 10pm show. They said it was a 10 dollar deposit per person. So NOW I get it! I just show up for that, and the Hukilau event is that entire night! I thought the vendors and all that stuff would be in a seperate room or something, that I would have to make seperate reservations for. I didnt understand that if I just happened to attend The Mai Kai with dinner and show reservations on that night, that I would then just be able to attend the entire Hukilau! Is that right? Is it really just that simple?

I guess I was complicating things, wasn't I? LOL Hope to see you all there! I am building a mini tiki bar for my new pad I just moved into a few days ago, and I am hoping to get to make some purchases from vendors there for it. Thanks for your replies!

Lenore :)

The Hukilau is a three night event; Thursday , Friday , and Saturday night. Saturday night is the event at the Mai-Kai. By making ereservations for the dinner show (make sure you know WHICH show--what time)you are only planiing on doing the Saturday night event. Nothing else is included--your dinner and show bill will only include what you eat and drink for dinner and the show charge--nothing else before or after. And any other part of Hukilau if you decide to join in , you will have to buy tickets/make reservations, etc separately throught the web site. Hope this helps--bruce

I could be wrong, but i think the vendors are Friday evening-night at the Bahia Mar Hotel. I don't think there will be any real vending at the Mai-kai. I strongly suggest you check out the website so you don't miss out on anything--bruce

Ohhhhh... ok NOW I get it! I kept trying to research it and was only getting bits and pieces here and there, and not seeing the whole picture clearly. I will go to that website and now I understand what this event is and how it is structured a lot better. Thank you SO MUCH! :D See you there!
And I appreciate your patience!

Case closed! Enjoy the weekend!

Pages: 1 9 replies