Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

New mugs for the Kon Tiki!!

Pages: 1 25 replies

Hi,
I've got something I wanna share with you. The people at Kon Tiki are putting a lot of energy into revitalizing the Kon Tiki's aesthetic back to it's days of splender. We're doing 3 different exclusive pieces for them... a mug, a scorpion bowl and a shot. Here's a photo of the sculpt for the forthcoming Kon Tiki scorpion bowl...

This will be available exclusively at the Kon Tiki Restaurant in Tucson, AZ. I think we're going to produce it with a rich brown gloss exterior, tan interior & then do an iron oxide wipe for the letters so that they finish off matte... like the general exterior finish on the old PMP mugs for example.

In the meantime, we've got a custom fired decaled X-Eyes at the Kon Tiki (the new products will be available likely in January, 2005) so if you're in their neighborhood, stop on by & please get a drink from one of our mugs.
Mahaloz,
Holden

[ Edited by: smogbreather on 2004-09-20 20:43 ]

8T

Holden, that is a beauty. I Will have to get some help from an AZ tc'er to help this midwesterner out when these hit the Kon Tiki.

I kinda like the pink as pictured. Now if you can get the green to glow like that on the edges, that would be insane! Go to town dude!(hi-tech tiki mugs!!!)(traditonal but not!)

Benno... knows!!! We're workin' right now on some fire breathin' tiki metal wall maks that spit fire out about 12" (against a metal insulated backdrop)!! The eyes illuminate fire and then the top of the head spits out the fire stream! We wanna go a bit crazy now!
Mahaloz,
Holden

Great piece Holden,
Will they only be available at the Kon-Tiki in AZ. or can we also get one direct from Tiki Farm?
Keep up the great work.
Aloha,
:tiki:

I know that face! Its the Milan Guanko tiki on the sidewalk to the West of the business:

Bingo! We thought we'd pay tribute to Mr. Milan Guanko and after the fact, realized that we are replicating perhaps the most delapidated Tiki on the grounds... i.e. by the time it launches, the Milan Guanko Tiki may be long since rotted and 86'd. We should look to have him preserved.
Holden
(mahaloz!)

[ Edited by: smogbreather on 2004-09-21 23:54 ]

Holden, at some point in the future, how about this one as a tall glass?

On 2004-09-22 00:25, tikijackalope wrote:
Holden, at some point in the future, how about this one as a tall glass?

The Kon Tiki's got a lotta potential for new designs. I can't locate all of my photos now, but there's another one with a big ol' forehead that tapers upwards/outwards that we're contemplating for a small run.
Holden

Holden, this one? Its in the center of the bar, facing the door.

That'd be really cool!

Or maybe this one, to the right of the door as you go inside.

Either would net my dollars, but I like the first one in this post best - better eyes and mouth. The heads of some of the smaller tikis would make nice shot glasses. Btw, I posted pics of all of them at http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=8141&forum=2&14

[ Edited by: tikijackalope on 2004-09-22 23:11 ]

K

That is an incredible mug! Another pilgrimage...thanks! :wink:

Are there any plans for reviving the origianl mugs from the Kon Tiki? I see them every now and then on eBay.

Are there any plans for reviving the origianl mugs from the Kon Tiki? I see them every now and then on eBay.

Holden, the bowl looks great and in my neighborhood to. Going down to Tucson next month Kon Tiki is on my list for sure.

D

I see from the photos of the President's Day bash at the Kon-Tiki (other topic) that they have new mugs! What's the status of the tiki bowl? The wax sculpture looked great, is that out yet or still in the works?

S

Love that new bowl.
That's very exciting news about The KonTiki.
I was there 6 or 7 years ago, and seemed in need of some revitalization back then. I'm wondering if ownership has changed hands since then, or if they finally realized what they had.

Looking at that bowl all I could think was "wouldn't it be cool if there were little pockets in the Tikis heads for dry ice?"

D

Freddie,
What a cool idea!!! I second that! Dry ice would make it even more exotic looking!!!!!!!!!!

Was this bowl ever actually produced? I know about the new small and large mugs and the X-eyed one that was used in the interum, but have seen no references to this bowl existing yet. Thanks!

D

I haven't heard anything more about the bowl either. My wife was in Tucson last week on business and when to Kon Tiki to pick up a mug for me. The only mug they had was the Tiki Farm X-Eyes with the Kon Tiki logo printed on the back. There were no "custom" mugs available. I thought that Tiki Farm was working on multiple new mugs and the bowl for Kon Tiki. Does anyone have any more news on them?

Anyone heard any updates on the new bowl for Kon Tiki? I have a couple of friends on standby to grab one for me as soon as they are released. Thanks!

D

I was wondering that myself. Its been a while since we all last heard about them. Anyone out there know! The wife and I are planning a Tucson trip to see family next month.

No word yet? I was in Tucson for the Labor Day weekend and, naturally stopped by KT. They're new drink menu showed a picture of the their new bowl, but they didn't have it yet. Any word on release date?

B

That's going to be a SWEET Set Holden. Leave it to you and Tiki Farm to keep the tiki world supplied with quality stuff. Can't wait to see the rest.

D

OK, so I was just up on Humuhumu's OogaMooga.com and noticed that she has a new tiki mug from the Kon Tiki that looks like it was inspired by one of the tikis in the restaurant/bar. So, does that mean that the Kon Tiki is actually offering this mug NOW? If so, I definately want to get one. AND I'm still salivating over that long promised bowl from Tiki Farm for the Kon Tiki!!!!!

H

I got my tiki mug/shot set in the mail as a gift from the lovely folks at Tiki Farm, so I can't say for sure, but yeah, I think they're selling those mugs at the Kon Tiki now. Call to double check, of course.

Pages: 1 25 replies