Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Mai-Kai "rare" mugs on Ebay

Pages: 1 20 replies

K

Someone brought up the subject of the so-called rare, old Mai Kai mugs on Ebay, and mentioned they are probably new, being passed off as old (sorry forgot who brouhgt this up).

Well, here they are

http://www.islandmadness.com/tikimug2.html

Anyone ordered from this site? i just discovered it myself.

Kentiki

p.s. Thanks for the new messsage board!

D

hey KenTiki ~ wow, they've updated their site! guess its time for me to go shopping! i've not personally ordered from islandmadness, although i have received gift orders..
thanks for posting it ..

Those are the chiki tiki mugs I found at Wacko. Great deal! The black/green glaze is quite cool.
TG

M

I THOUGHT they were new! yep, that was me over at Yahoo that stared the comments on this mug, as soon as I saw the close price. As Beatle66 suggested, new mugs...and Mai Kai is likely serving them right now!

I know Trader Vic has TikiFarm making the "Honi Honi" mugs again. So watch out for them as well...not all wil be vintage.

midnite

That really ticks me off. Seems like people are trying this kind of crap alot lately. CHeck this link out http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1085767046

This is one of my own mugs, Cant beleive this guy is trying to trick people into believing its an old frankenberry mug. He listed two of them one with a buy it now for $50. At least it didnt sell for $300.

I almost feel like emailing these people. Feel bad that fellow tiki collectors are being ripped off.

At least we know the guys website that passed the wai kai mug off as rare. I now know not to give him my business.

later
-stuckie

Stuckie,
I saw that! Heck with your guys reputation, I'd think they'd get more if they said it was a Munktiki original.
I wish there was a way for people to add comments on items. Heck maybe ebay could have a "pedigree" service. Where people could verify the claims made on an auction.
Now watch ebay do that... I get 1% of profits ebay!!!!! Thats my price!!!
Tiki Gardener (Who slobbers when looking at the MunkTiki website)

Mmmmmmmm...Ti-ki Mugssss. Unghhhh

I KNEW IT! (I'm beatle66 btw- new tiki-er name)

Man I feel bad for the person who spent $300 on one of those..

there's a few more out there pushing em- AntiqueCove for one

But was it the guys from islandmadness that were posting them on ebay, or people who had bought them from IM (or the place THEY got them from) who were posting them?

Seems like theres a manufacturer out there somewhere if Wacko had em too..

I do like them- the tongue-guy especially, I just think that as new production-run mugs you can't look at them the same way value-wise as an old mug from the 60's

There is a manufacturer for them, agiftcorp is their name. And they do have a website.
TG

oh brother- read this guys description..

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1085575328

S

Stuckie-

Do you recognize this "pop-a-licious" person as being a customer of yours? 'The Worm' has not been out that long where one could have picked it up else where, has it? (Well aside from ebay apparently)

K

That was a good call on your part, noticing that these were new. I had never seen them before and for a second thought they might be old Mai Kai mugs (but only for A SECOND!:) I wonder if someone just got a hold of the Mai Kai graphics for those. They don't seem to put their name on anything new at Mai Kai. God I wish I could explore the backrooms of that place!

The Island Madness mugs are pretty nice, but $5.50 sounds a lot better than $25. I also wished I could email the bidders and tip them off.

Kentiki

K

I had a negative Ebay experience with "Pop-a-licious." I wouldn't trust them or ever deal with them again. Bad mana.

Hey Stuckie-don't let that auction bug you. If they had half a brain they would've mentioned that it's a Munktiki mug and the price would have at least doubled what it went for!

Kentiki

Unfortunatly both those people have bought from us. To tell you the truth I havnt had much experience with people like this on ebay. I had heard the stories but not actually experienced. Now they are going after the tiki scene.

Btw, I found out about some new tiki coming out. Have any of you heard of an artist named "roman dirge"? Hes got a couple mugs called "creepy tikis" coming out, dont know when but heres a link.
http://www.spookyland.com/news.html

Looks like some more friendly competition.

later
-stuckie

Roman Dirge is a very well-known artist/writer in the comic book world. His big hit is a comic called "Lenore" about a cute little dead girl. Very gothic, very Edward Gorey/Tim Burton.

I'm sure his mugs won't hold a candle to yours.

• Monkey God (Teddy T.)
S

Thanks for the heads-up. Here's some more info on the creepy tiki mugs:

http://www.slavelabor.com/creepy%20tiki/creepytiki.html

Sounds as if it's only going to be a "special two-mug boxed set". It also does not look like you'll have much to worry about.

Im not worried, I think we need more people makin mugs, will help all us mug makers in the end. I am hopeing that the news of "into the volcano" is coming back is true. In my opinion we are all helpin each other out, spreading the word

-stuckie

K

I had a similar sounding experience on ebay. I bought six mugs for about 40 and change, before I realized that the dealer was selling a bunch of the exact same sets. What pisses me off is that the description was phrased to sound like they were, in fact, vintage mugs. "No chips, cracks...very good, near-mint condition." If the guy had just said they were "new," I might have bought them anyway. Oh, well. If it sounds too good to be true, keep listening....

I kinda hesitant to buy anything on ebay nowadays, with all the repros. Garage Sale Days are here again....

Hey, I've posted an idea about this over on tikimug.com, as with the two new chat groups, and the agreement between Hanford and Beatle, the idea fits in more with that newsgroup, but could help members of both clubs, and the general public.
The thread is over there under the header
"A Thead maybe, Repro mugs???"
I invite all who know stuff on this subject to contribute, if the idea seems like a good one.
TG

Spelling edit< changed "cluns" to "clubs".>

[ Edited by: TikiGardener on 2002-03-27 22:06 ]

Pages: 1 20 replies