Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Swing Tikis Reunion!!! Newport CA!!

Pages: 1 29 replies

CA

Well before the ‘Book of Tiki’....
The Swing Tikis were Swinging!!

Announcing the Swing Tikis 15 Year Reunion!!!!
Sep.21st!! Sat. Night!

For all you Nuevo Tiki Types------ and OC Pub Crawlers!!!
Come see the Band that started it all! Well... at least the name part...
Yes, Crazy AL was born at a Swinging Tikis gig some 13 years ago...
And these Surfer Boys are going to Rock again with all your big wave favorites... limbo contest!
Harry Bellefonte tunes! and more! Yes, way back when before Tiki Hipness, Buffet rule the music seen....

What better place to celebrate than Margarita Ville in Newport Bch!! The site of many a past gigs of Intoxicated Stray Wrangling, Located just South of Newport Blvd on PCH.

Help out the International Surf Museum of Huntington Bch with prize raffles for my stuff and many other cool things!!... commemorative Tiki shot mugs by TikiFarm!!!

Come on out!! I should be bugging the guys on stage as usual ...and original member Eric-‘Rindog’ is flying in from SF!!

See you there........Wiiiiiiiipe Ouuuuuuut!!!!!!!!!!

CA

ok... half asleep here...

It's the SWINGING TIKI!!!

CA

SWINGING TIKIS!!!

.... i'm going to bed...

And they make fun of my speling!

too musch palm dust for Crazy!!!

Okay, who's going?

TBC

Going where?
CC-ya
(tiki -Dust!)

Bong Go

S

Tina and I are in!

I'll be just back from NY with wild tales to spin about Waikiki Wally's!

Aloha,

Uncle Arty

Gotta be there, it's my event!
Seriously though, it's going to be a great time. Two smokin' bands, tons of give-aways and a great cause. Rub your Lucky Tiki before you leave. Hell, Bring It! We may even show the video from one of Crazy Al's final projects from Art Center where he created a painting with his semi-nude body while doing his "special" dance to us playing Wipe-Out live behind him. I've STILL got paint specs on some cymbals!

OK OK OK OK
What time is early enough to get a seat in this Mexican/TIKI hell hole?
(sounds like my 1st wife)

Come on just foolin' she wasn't Mexican

OK. what time?

I'm going and Vicki a/k/a Mrs. Bamboo is going, too. Girls night out!

Posted start time is 9:00 p.m. You should be fine arriving around then.
By the way, the only tiki-ness in this place will be what you/we bring into it that night. After a recent "remodel" it looks like a giant bag of Skittles in there. WAY too bright! I'll be in there unscrewing lightbulbs at noon.

CA

sounds like feek'n fun! a hole new lovable family to Swing our Tikis with... can you do that with-in a family???

Any way BEER HEAD LESSONS FOR ALL!!!!!!!!

CA

....Uncle Arto'

did you get any pics of my fab tiki in "Wallie's"

Hey, SwinginTiki - get as many of those lightbulbs out as you can! Tiki does = ambiance.

So, what did I miss?

-------YOUR WIFE------

Hey Bax - thanks for hijacking that other thread with your effedup haiku non-sequiturs. I am going to go over there and beat you with a winged cudgel (clawhammer), but I digress. It was a great show. My brain hurts.

Floratina - YOU ROCK! I can't wait to get a copy of that tape you made. I wish you a speedy recovery. I'm still hung-over. Let me know if my card got lost in your bra-let.

OH - By the way - We ended up with a few of those commemorative shot glasses left over. If anybody's interested they're $10/pair. Sorry, Tiki Hunch-Punch not included.
Let me know.

That was a mighty fine time, that Swingin' Tiki show! Lots of people dancing and jumping around. Yes, I did find that card in there. That was you? :) I am preparing to view the damage (read: tape)this afternoon. I still can't believe that Crazy Al's shaggy thatch hat didn't catch on fire when you guys tried to light it with that tiki torch - while he was still wearing it, of course. I am amazed that nothing caught on fire what with all that flame being passed around. I hope you guys aren't going to wait another five years before you play again. What an excellent band.

Oh yeah, that was me. I think EVERYONE was surprised that the whole place didn't go up in flames. The tiki-torch-on-head trick alone should get their insurance cancelled.

S

On 2002-09-20 21:59, crazy al wrote:
....Uncle Arto'

did you get any pics of my fab tiki in "Wallie's"

Hey Crazy Al!

It was tough because he was right up against the window, but I did manage to get one good shot of Mr. Fab Tiki's awesome grin!

I got hime on the first night I went to Wally's with just me, myself and I. He was good company and we toasted a couple of Zombies in honor of Tiki!

See you Saturday.

Aloha,

Arty

I'm upset that I missed the show. How did everyone like Margaritaville? That place gives me a headach just thinking about it.

If you're gonna do another one, try to hook it up at the Studio Cafe in Balboa. They have the best mai tai's in Newport and my personal favorite, thier signature drink, the Wedge; both are served in fishbowl glasses and will knock you out.

My band plays there off and on and I'm real good friends with the staff there. If you need help booking, talk to Jeff the bartender and tell him that Spike from 'Fifty-Nine Deluxe' sent you.

Aside from that, another great bar in the Newport/ Balboa area is the Balboa Saloon. While it's not a tiki bar, they have a couple of tikis and pufferfish in there. Also, there is a large collection of local old fishing pictures and pictures of the Duke back when he lived in Newport. The tiki highlight is a booth towards the back done in the style with bamboo and a woven thatch roof. The place is pretty much a fisherman's bar without the pretentiousness that comes with Newport Beach.

I look forward to seeing the Swinging Tikis soon.

I fully copped to M'ville having about as much ambiance as a dentist's office. All of those other places are fine but Studio is too small (I've played there numerous times with differnt bands) and the Saloon doesn't have live bands. Now if Emerald Forest was still open, then... Seriously though, M'ville helped out a lot with the cause - It WAS a benefit for the Surf Museums in HB and Santa Barbara - none of the other clubs could've come close to that level of support.
The next appearance of the Swingin' Tikis will be at the Hard Rock Cafe in Fascist Island on Halloween night from 9:30 - 10:30. It's a benefit gig and we don't play that often so try to make it.

You're right, I guess the 'Ville was the best place for your show. It's a shame you can't do something at Studio Cafe sometime, think of the drinks! You guys must really pack 'em in! I'm gonna try to make it to the Hard Rock on Halloween.

D

Where did the Swingin' Tikis go? I'm trying to find some information on the them.

CA

Old Tikis don't "Fade Away" .... they just -Rot into Oblivion-.........

ROT is an awful word coming from our #1 son. Be careful Crazy or I'll post that video from your Art Center final painting/performance art/siezure.
Truth be told, Swingin' Tikis retired, only emerging now for major anniversary shows (next one in '07) and benefits for the right cause.

Pages: 1 29 replies