Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

afro-harping

Pages: 1 2 replies

ok guys i'm open up the floor on this album and seeing what you guys have to say about it.It's called afro-harping by dorothy ashby, Personal i love this album my parents had it on vinal when i was a kid my dad loved all those types of exotic albums from th e50's and 60's and since we have moved so much our old vinal verrsion got lost but it was released on cd and i picked up a copy and poped it in today and man what a timewarp i went though right back to my old home sitting in our family room in the basment listening to my dads albums

That’s a really good album. I call that type of music light jazz. It’s like lounge but with some schmaltz removed, and added some jazz chops on the lead instrument.
Tequila by Wes Montgomery is a good example.
I recently got two late sixties Tony Mottola (who sadly passed away a couple of weeks ago), and they fit that desciption, too. Being on Projet 3 like Command and Grand Award they’re Enoch Light productions.

More CDs going together well with Dorothy Ashby are:
Groovin’ with the Soulful Strings,
Cal Tjader Plays The Contemporary Music Of Mexico And Brazil,
the various artists compilation California Dreamin’ Jazz Exotica (on Impulse),
Spanish Rice by Clark Terry & Chico O’Farrill,
How About Uke? Lyle Ritz Plays Jazz Ukulele
and for the adventerous there’s a Don Sebesky album but the title escapes me now.
One of my favorite jazz guitarists is Gabor Szabo, who had a gypsy vibe woven into his groovy jazz lines.

KK

TM1

I was lucky in that my Mom worked in a trendy would music record store during the very early sixties, so I grew up listening to A. Lyman and Julie London, and bizarre albums like "afro-gypsia","voodoo drums in hi-fi" and other crazy stuff! All of my Mom's original albums are stamped "demo only"

Pages: 1 2 replies