Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Kahiki Moai mug question,

Pages: 1 7 replies

Hey all, I have just been given two Kahiki maoi mugs, (now I have six of the little blighters)
Now for my question, the two new ones, These two have broader features than the others, one doesnt seem to have the stripping. also there is not the detail of the others.
Can anyone help me out with a photo based study on these mugs and the eras that they may represent?
Also the other two mugs are alot heavier than the others in my collection.
Any help is apreciated!

M

Rustbelcat,

I'm sure someone here will be able to give you the whole timeline for these, I thought I'd get the ball rolling with a picture. I remember that when I got this mug I was blown away at the detail in it. As you see, it has the "Mug No.1" printing on the bottom. What do the mugs with less detail say on the bottom? I would assume that the more you use a mold, the less detail there is.

[ Edited by: MachTiki on 2004-09-23 08:10 ]

Hey Mach tiki
Well I have a couple of those little guys, The other two are thicker have less detail, (none of the "spots" on one) and very ill defined on the other. THe are both alot heavier than the mugs that I have (like the one you posted a pic of, they are also much darker in color.
Lets see what everyone else comes up with
Aloha!

M

There was a seller on ebay who consistently sold Tiki -type items. He knew a lot about Kahiki stuff. I cannot remember his name, but I do know I don't see him selling on ebay, and haven't for a long time.

This is what I recall, adjust for my meds.

The earliest Kahiki mugs were made by local producers, in the early '60's I believe. These Hoffman items are the most sought-after pieces from Kahiki. Coveted, one might say. That production line proved insufficient, so a more commercial approach was taken. The result as the "No 1" mug, the wood-grained Moai.

The No.1 mug is pretty much the protoypical Kahiki mug. Later, the No 1 mugs a were made in a less detailed, more rugged style. Still the same basic design, but distinctly less attractive. I believe they are simply marked "Kahiki", and even that mark is sometimes difficult to discern. The skull mug was "No. 2" and those too were made later on with much less detail.

Relatedly, a seller just prematurely ended two auctions of Hoffman Kahiki items. One auction consisted of two "Idol's Cast" mug bowls. It's frustrating to have that happen on something you're watching. I hope it is more frustrating for the seller when they learn how much these are worth, 'cause I doubt they get anything near actual value when ending an auction erly.

One of these bowls, in excellent condition went for upwards of $700 on ebay. Now that was probably a "one off" event. These, which looked quite nice, have easily fetched a few hundred.

hey cat, long time no see. after the original world famous hoffman pottery designs. (local columbus potter, early 60's. highly collectable stuff. any of it.)they went to the cheaper japan monkey head. I believe orchids of hawaii. I have similar mugs, one marked orchids, one marked kahiki.I believe the mug #1 is the first mug orchids made for them. every time the mold wore out , they just made a new one off of the old mug...until they became unrecognisable. sometimes they would just make a shippment of orchids monkey mugs. i have the whole progression of these mugs. all pretty much worthless to me.(being here) the only kahiki stuff I value is the finely made hoffman pottery.

Hey Chisel Slinger!
So sorry we missed you gus the last time we were in town, Hopefully we'll get to meet up the nexttime wecomeout. we'll give you guys a holler ! When is Hoffa making the big move to FLA?
JAy

hey jay. good to hear from you. do give me a hollar next time. jimmy.

Does this help?

Pages: 1 7 replies