Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Does anyone remember a 1970s pirate TV dinner?

Pages: 1 16 replies

I hope this isn't a redundant topic...but as I can't remember the name of it, I can't search it.

Anyway, it was some food company's attempt to be like the Capt'n Crunch of TV Dinners...they had treasure maps on them, lots of cartoons.

I have asked a few people my age as well as my siblings, but nobody remembers it from the '70s.

I hope this isn't like those dancing bears that took my marmalade...This product existed...at least for awhile.

no...it's not Koogle

Arrrgh

[ Edited by: Gigantalope on 2004-09-22 22:47 ]

I remember what you are talking about, but goddamn if I can find it out there on the web either. I tried.

I think I used to bug my mom to buy that pirate dinner for me all the time, but she never did. I thought she was lame for doing that back then, but in retrospect she was just trying to keep the junk away from me.

I remember these too. It was a Libbyland TV Dinner. These things came with a flavor packet to be added to milk. Usually something that didn't work very well (for me at least) like blueberry or grape.

i remember too! tiny hot dogs in buns, mini burgers, big chicken nugget type thing.. and the Magic Milk stuff ~ we got these rarely.

i particularly loved TV dinners because the food was in its own compartment. except when the vegggies migrated elsewhere. disgusting when peas touched chocolate pudding. ew.

e

D

Libbyland TV Dinners!!!!!! That's what it was called!!

http://theimaginaryworld.com/kids154.jpg

Libbyland...that's it...pirate's picnic, and sundown supper. I'm not insane.

It does appear as though some band is using that name, which makes it a pain to get good pictures.

Going thru the websites was quite a trip. Jolly Ollie Orange?

Oh yeah.

Oh god, worst tv dinners ever! And that's saying a lot. Why do you people constantly dredge up the horrible memories I've spent a lifetime escaping? All I remember about them is some kinda pudding or hash-brown-like substance that had a nasty-ass skin on it that made it nearly inedible. Again, as a 10 year old, that's saying alot! And if you have any repect for human life at all (especially your own) you never ate the hardened, burned crust around the edges of the individual food compartments.

Quick! Someone bring up another horrible childhood culinary memory so I can forget this one again! Mmmm, Space-Food-Sticks!

I used to be crazy about Rosarito Mexican TV Dinners (especialy those little tacos). I think they swiped that mystery meat from the Jack in the Box Soylent Green factory...YUMMMMMM.

Those taco ruled...I had not though tabut those in a while.

I used to think it would be great to be a grown up because you could go to cocktail parties and eat cocktail food...hmm come to think about it..it is

M

I nearly wept when I saw that image. I seriously can;t stop smiling. I use to TOTALLY love those! The food was horrible, but the packaging was the greatest.

[ Edited by: MachTiki on 2004-09-24 15:08 ]

M

On 2004-09-24 00:50, Tiki-bot wrote:
Quick! Someone bring up another horrible childhood culinary memory so I can forget this one again! Mmmm, Space-Food-Sticks!

Take your pick: http://www.theimaginaryworld.com/kidsgrid.html

this stuff makes me remember Wacky Packages. Remember these?

http://www.wackypackages.org/

I still have my original collection, although it's not worth much.

T

On 2004-09-24 15:33, dangergirl299 wrote:
this stuff makes me remember Wacky Packages. Remember these?

Oh man, those were my favorite! I still read every aluminum foil label as "Wrinkled Wrap Aluminum Fool". Yes, I'm simple. I sure could go for a SPace Food Stick right now....

K

I used to love the Pirate and Cowboy TV dinners, not for the taste but for the little pirate and cowboy characters stamped in the foil tray compartments....inticement to get to the bottom!

For some reason Dangergirl's post of Wacky Packages, I thought were these other sticker/gum combos...really exagerated cartoon monsters driving cars.

Not sure if they were done by Ed Roth or just kinda knocked off.

Now that I ponder the wacky packages, I remember them too. What mirth to be so surrounded by advertisment that child targeted humor is based on it's parody.

H

Ahh yes. Odd Rods! Those were great.

On 2004-09-23 08:41, donhonyc wrote:
Libbyland TV Dinners!!!!!! That's what it was called!!

http://theimaginaryworld.com/kids154.jpg

Great website- thanks for the link. It's missing one of my favorites, though- Great Shakes. They were powdered milkshakes that came with this plastic shaker that I can picture in my mind like it was yesterday- dark brown bottom with light brown top that snapped on. We kept the shaker for years- my mom used it to mix gravies and salad dressings. When I was about 16 or 17, my friends and I had this place in the woods where we would go drink. I used to bring the shaker with me to mix martinis while my friends drank beer. They thought I was nuts. Too bad I didn't have the Grog Log then, I could have put the shaker to better use.

Pages: 1 16 replies