Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Mein Tiki trip to Berlin

Pages: 1 11 replies

V

Thanks to the Kaiserstyles, my lovely wife and I had the pleasure to go to this great city.
We were there to visit the new Tabou tiki room, and while there, we visited the city for 5 days.
We made some flea markets where I found some really nice hawaiian-german records (this one is hawaiian songs sings on German !!) :

We also went to see the Rum Trader, a fantastic place with a bartender really entertaining (he speaks German, english, french...) and he makes really really nice cocktails (the "Elephant Hunter", advised by Sven-tiki is fantastic.
Here is the tiny tiny place :

We, off course, visited the new Berlin's Trader Vic, wich is not full of tikis, but still a nice bar, and a trader vic's :

But most of the time of our vacation, we stayed in the TABOU, where I couldn't stop going from one part of the room to an other, looking at every inch of the place, all filled with tiki and polynesian art.

Me at the entrance :

The room :

My new treasure :

Sandrine with a big, uh, well, big, tiki :

look how proud I am being with Sven :

and last, but not least, our host April & Stefan :

Looks great! Thanks for sharing. Outstanding bars.

Was in Amsterdam and Brussels recently and got really confused by the tipping. Some people say the tip's included in the bill, others not. Some say even if the tip's included, you should still leave 10% if the service has really been good (in Holland it usually is, in Belguim it usually is not). So please set me straight on the tipping policy is on that side of the pond, please. (or does it vary from country to country?)

Also -- just to be the complete nosy American -- how many euros for a zombie? Mai Tai?

Really enjoyed seeing the German record of Hawaiian songs.

V

On 2004-09-23 14:11, Satan's Sin wrote:

Was in Amsterdam and Brussels recently and got really confused by the tipping. Some people say the tip's included in the bill, others not. Some say even if the tip's included, you should still leave 10% if the service has really been good (in Holland it usually is, in Belguim it usually is not). So please set me straight on the tipping policy is on that side of the pond, please. (or does it vary from country to country?)

Also -- just to be the complete nosy American -- how many euros for a zombie? Mai Tai?

Really enjoyed seeing the German record of Hawaiian songs.

Tipping is really up to you. I usually leave something when I receive a good service, but I don't have to.
Service is always include in your restaurants bills, so don't feel like a naughty boy if you leave the table with no penny on it.

A Trader Vic's Mai Tai is about 11 euros, a Tabou 6.

J

My former college roommate now lives in Cologne Germany - I may need to visit him sooner than I planned! The Tabou is looking unreal! Thanks for sharing the pics and getting me geared up for a tiki bar 4000 miles away!

Hi Virani,

great pictures. The one of TABOU that says THE ROOM looks like a 60's postcard. That's the look we want to achieve for one of our cards.
....... and by the way, we love to receive tips!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

V

On 2004-09-24 07:51, kaiserstyle wrote:....... and by the way, we love to receive tips!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Did I forget something ???

Nooooooooooooo, I meant we love to get tipped even if it's not so common in Europe. Don't worry, you're a good tipper. We're not in NY where you get lynched if you tip under 20%.

It's like a band that loves the applause when they perform live. It makes them feel good but it doesn't pay for the gas to get home...........

T

Great stuff Virani! I wish you could have been at Hukilau with us, but it is great to see the trip you made there and were able to enjoy and meet up with more great tiki ohana.

Wow! I really want to visit the Tabou now. I think the wife and I are planning a North German trip in a year or two. This will definitely be on the list to visit.

THanks for the pictures and stories Virini.
I kept up with the creation photos (and chikis carving post) but never saw how beautiful the Taboo looks after it all came together. Kiaserstyles- you should proud of that place it looks fantastic!

V - that grainy pix of the inside DOES look like an old postcard!

V

On 2004-10-01 09:09, Polynesiac wrote:

V - that grainy pix of the inside DOES look like an old postcard!

Here's my secret :
Take pictures with a bad analogic for 1 use camera.
Make the pictures transfer to digital on a CDrom : and you have that kind of pics...

Maybe I should print those kind of pics I have onto paper...that's a second generation photos.

T

Insel der Traume, does that mean Island of Dreams? Great pictures Virani. Your friends April and Stefans' portrait show how proud their are of their work of art.
I like the wall treatment with the tapa cloth framed in bamboo.
The Tiki with the large staff of life looks like a Cook Island version of Lono.

tikiboy

Pages: 1 11 replies