Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Has anyone ever seen this mug?

Pages: 1 6 replies

I havn't seen this mug in any books. Does anyone have any info on it? How old, etc.

Thanks, Gene

http://www.fallingcocos.com/

[ Edited by: MEAN GENE on 2004-09-24 11:42 ]

T

no info, but i have one at home that's very similar to it, except mine's more straight up and down. my parents got it from a hawaiian cruise they went on last summer.

M

Greetings Gene,

Don't be mean to me!

That mug was, obviously, used by a cruise ship company. I recall it was a line that toured the Hawaiian Islands, making stops at several ports. I think they recently went under, in a figurative, not a Leo Dicaprio sense. Some such negative circumstance caused a flood of these mugs to be sold in the after market. All I recall is there were A LOT of these sold, all at about the same time.

There are several mug designs involved. I recall a volcano, a fish, a surfer? I think there are about six or seven separate designs. All had numbers on the back denoting the very limited nature of its production run. I believe the numbers were on the high side, but limited!

I'd say that mug you've pictured is the most popular version. Quite a few collectors I know picked them up. It's a different look, the colors alone set the mugs apart. The first time I saw these sold in bulk was maybe a year or two ago. They hit ebay hard, not commonly seen of late.

aloha,

On 2004-09-24 12:02, midnite_tiki wrote:
There are several mug designs involved. I recall a volcano, a fish, a surfer? I think there are about six or seven separate designs.

[ Edited by: filslash 2008-09-12 14:50 ]

I use to bartend for these guys. A great fun time in my life.
I used that mug as a tip jar before I got the tiki bug.
They went under in 98.
Here's a link with some great photos of the ship.

http://www.simplonpc.co.uk/AmericanHawaii.html#anchor140376

T

[ Edited by: TNTiki on 2004-11-06 17:23 ]

Aloha,

Got the NCL surfer "Hang Ten" mug of this series today...

Sticker on the Bottom...reads...

"Progressive Specialty Glass Company, Inc. 1-800-620-5090"

Perhaps someone wants to call?

Pages: 1 6 replies