Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Hot Rods & Tikis...

Pages: 1 36 replies

Since this is "Beyond Tiki", I thought I'd ask if anyone was planning to go to any car shows this month.

Sept. 19 - 21 is the Rebel Run in Lima, Ohio

Sept 26 - 29 is Duck Tail Run in Gas City, In and the James Dean Run in Fairmount, IN.

The following weekend is the Pumpkin Run in Owensville, OH.

Each of these shows are excellent and bring in thousands of custom cars. They DO come from all over the country...including California!

Just curious if anyone is going and wants to meet, since we don't get to do all that mineral-water, Yoga-California member stuff that you guys always get to do.

Hope some of you can make it.
:wink:

Stingray75,

I've noticed the tiki/hot rod combination at car shows here in Granolafornia in the past. West Coast Custums had a cool shirt with a tiki dude crusing in a rod.

I've noticed that you seem to travel a lot. If in CA contact me and I'll take you over to a large weekly gathering of hot rod'ers here in Huntington Beach. They call themselves the Donut Derelicts because the meet at a donut shop. I can hear them coming, headers unplugged, about 5am every Saturday morning.

We had a group of guys here in Baltimore, that would meet every Friday night with their Hotrods and restorations at a small sub shop down the street from me. Then the Hondas, Neons and Accuras with neon and stickers started showing up at the car wash next to the shop. Now the old cars are gone. Where'd they go? I'm sure they had enough of th "Icy Stunnaz". I miss 'em.

:sheckymug:

Tiki Bong- Hey, thanks for the invite, man. Much appreciated. I've never been to CA. (Came very close on a workers comp case a few months back, but just didn't work out.)

But yeah, if I get out there, I'm gonna be knocking on every TC members door and saying, "Com'on - I'm here to see you guys since you don't come to see me!"

And Turbogod, yes, the old cars are still out there! These little Fast & Furious cars are nice for the kids, but few can out run some of the older muscle cars, or even well maintained older car with a nice engine.

The beauty of these shows is that they are pre-1970. No Civics allowed!

And Baltimore isnt THAT far...I generally see several rods from NY, Maryland and all along the east coast at these shows, so come on out.

Artfink? If you're out there, I'll probably run into you at one of these shows.

-C.

J

Turbogod - Have you ever been to the Big M Drive-In up in Churchville (north of Bel Air)? They have car shows almost every weekend and until recently you would never see an import at any of their shows. I actually got tired of going to car shows because these kids with their Neons and their "boomin' systems" got on my nerves. I didn't even take my car to any shows or cruises this year because I don't even like being in the company of these kids. To be honest, I feel like an outsider anyway because, there is no one my age at any of the shows that have an antique car and most of the older guys don't treat you with respect because you drive a car nicer than theirs. But if you go to a show just to look you can easily avoid the "lowriders." Oh, how I long for California...

Who would have ever thought that nowadays customizing a car only takes some wheels, vinyl decals, a loud exhaust (to accentuate that hot 4 cylinder), and the mandatory earth shaking stereo. God...it makes me feel old - "these blasted kids!" I just find it all so obnoxious!

:drink:

Amen John Amen! Never heard back from Tiki Murph, sent him another amail. Are you still planning to go to the NY Shag show?

I'll see ya's all at the Mooneyes annual X-mas party & car show happening December 14 at the Whittier Elks Lodge in beautiful Whittier, CA. As "Thee Midnighters" would say: "Let's take a trip down Whittier Blvd" honk...honk!

Guess I must've missed this thread the first time around. Anyway, there's always the weekly car show on Friday nights at the Bob's Big Boy in Toluca Lake, CA. Jay Leno sometimes brings one of his cars.

Ohio seems to be pretty busy with car restoration since I also have two friends from there that came from "car families".

And I agree with Turbo and 75sting....it's a shame what some people are calling custom these days. Who wants to see some decal-ed Honda when there's big, beautiful, burly Bel-Airs still around?

I once went with my brother to the drag races on Terminal Island in Long Beach where they had both kinds of cars. The new cars were so dull to watch....no noise, no smoke....boring! Of course, my brother didn't exactly cause a stir since the force of his newly built engine twisted his driveshaft in half. Oh well. The Big Red Bomber (his '64 Grand Prix) eventually did 114 on the dragstrip after building a new driveshaft.

Oh, all this talk of old cars is making me sad now since I've been without mine for a while now. She (Audrey: a '63 Chevy Nova) is in the shop for a steering problem and my brother won't fix her til it gets slow at the shop. I'm buzzing about town in this miserable little Toyota Tercel on loan that won't go past 45mph up a hill! I want my giant steering wheel, floor vents and bench seat back, dammit! :cry:

There's a big one this Sat. Contact Copro/Nason. (copronason.com)

H

Johntiki Dont worry about feeling old. I'm 21 and I dont fit in with the 'fast and the furious' set. Bugger that.

Give me a sweet mid 50's mild custom, yes siree.

Hows this: Single spinner ford - Mint green metallic, caddy sombrero hub caps, on its guts, smoothed/frenched, nosed, decked, wide whites, full white metallic vinyl tuck'n'roll interior, '50s style pin up painted on side (busty chick in grass skirt and coconut bikin) with name of tiki cocktail eg. 'hawaiin delight' (i just made that up), full instructions on how to mix drink on back window

P

On 2002-09-18 11:03, Turbogod wrote:
We had a group of guys here in Baltimore, that would meet every Friday night with their Hotrods and restorations at a small sub shop down the street from me. Then the Hondas, Neons and Accuras with neon and stickers started showing up at the car wash next to the shop. Now the old cars are gone. Where'd they go? I'm sure they had enough of th "Icy Stunnaz". I miss 'em.

I take it that that's a common pattern. The old-school rodders meet up somewhere, then the ricers show up, and the old guys find somewhere else to meet. That's exactly how my friend described the scenario in Brandon.

Personally, I'm a V8 kinda guy. Although my wife is the one that's really car-crazy. I just have a appreciation for cool cars.

no tiki in these pix, but some good old school hot rod action here - photos primarily by my uncle and his friends in st. louis.

http://www.gassermadness.com/arteaga/

my pop's old plymouth... sigh...

There's a cool car show coming up this Saturday, Oct 23rd in Ventura, CA

It's called Primer Nationals and it's all street rods and bikes.

http://www.primernationals.com

Mr. Dollar- Fantastic Plymouth man.
I am shocked to see this thread up and running after, what?...2 years? Wow!

I'll try to post a pic of our friend Catheads chopped '48 Chevy called the Villan. It's identical to the George Barris 'High School Confidential" car, I guess. Barris and Gene Winfield have both signed the glovebox and the car has been in all kinds of magaznies.
But he goes to many of the shows with us.
My brother has a '50 Chevy, my parents have a '57 Chevy...me, I'm a classic Ford man, I guess.

Thanks again!

H

Check out this http://www.oldbug.com/barrisbuggy.htm

A guy has found an original '70s Barris beach buggy and restored it with a surf theme. I would put pics on if i could be bothered to work out how, but I cant.

This is on sweet set of wheels

I've got a 63 caddi convertable, just got a tiki pinstriped on the trunk this summer at a car club show here in columbus. thinkin bout doing more tiki to it.

Slinger- Hey man, what show did you attend in Columbus? The Goodguy Nationals at the Ohio State Fairgrounds in July brings in a crapload of cars! Awesome show! I already Can't wait till next summer!

I'd love to see some pics on the pinstriping!

Hey Hewey, that's a great ride, I remember reading all sorts of stuff about Barris' work, really cartoony.

A pal of mine from Perth was visiting a few years back and we went to one of those Hot Rod gatherings, he just about laid cable when he saw it.

I guess so much of the idea of what California would be, was not here...but that ws his dream.

As I understand from him, it's not easy with all the regulations to change cars in Oz...is that the case?

it was a local car club show {the drifters) held at the voodoo cafe. lot of rockabilly guys from here and pittsburgh. I'll try to post some pic's soon as I figure out this digital camera.

Oh Slinger, we have got to talk, dude!
First of all, where is the Voodoo Cafe?

I'm about 45 minutes west of Columbus, right off of I-70. We go to Cols frequently.

Get that digital cameras manual out and get to work brother! I'd love to see some pics!

stingray, we should get together! the voodoo cafe sounds better than it is. its an old pizza hut converted into a bar. I was trying to sell them some tikis and decor to hip it up. but still no answer. anyway the car shows are pretty cool. rockabilly bands and folk. I think theres anotherone for halloween. are you in a car club? they keep asking me to join but Im kinda a lone wolf. who knows, maybe.

Slinger - Oh absolutely! I sent you a PM. I wanted to start my own "Tiki-themed" rod club. You interested? LOL.

H
hewey posted on Thu, Oct 21, 2004 8:48 PM

Hey Gigantalope

yeh, we arent allowed to go as wild as some of the cars ive seen from the states. eg. Highboy rods have all got to run at least motorcycle fenders, no open wheels here (well not legally - wink wink - its only illegal when you get caught)

Some states are worse than others. Not sure what is happening with it but Queensland (north-east Oz) put forward laws banning even dropped spindles and airbag suspension on cars. This is even if they are fully engineered and certified etc etc. Apparently too many mini truckers are doing dodgy mods so they are just outlawing everything.

There is still some cool stuff. My mechanic has a blown V6 in his early '70s twincab kombi, on its guts in matt black, 17's all round. Used to have whitewalls too (on the 17s)

H
hewey posted on Thu, Oct 21, 2004 8:52 PM

Another cool set of wheels from old-bug.
Type 4 wagon woody with a tiki theme. Check it out

http://www.oldbug.com/412.htm

K

My Ford and Tiki.

Cool ride KAHAKA. Is that a '53? We had a maroon on black '53 Ford convertible when I was a kid. I loved that car. The boot over the top looks like it's a piano keyboard pattern. Is that vinyl or some kind of molded fiberglass creation...or am I just seeing things? (nice tiki too)

K

Are you referring to the package tray cover? It's white vinyl, same as the front seat. Back seat is just covered with a mexican blanket for now.

The car's actually a '54, same body style though. Thanks for the comps.... it's a fun car.

Kahaka- NO WAY! That big ole Tiki is yours? I saw it pictured and briefly mentioned in articles in Car Kulture Deluxe and Barracuda magazines regarding the Viva Las Vegas show. I wondered if anyone here had attended. The car is bitchin' too!

That is awesome!!! So, what, you mix drinks outta that Moai or what?

I recall the CKD mag saying something about "Some crazy folks had set up a 25 foot tall Easter Island head-bar..."

I would really love to make it out there this year if my finances will allow, but I would not drive my cars out. I'd just have to fly in - fly out.

Awesome man. Thanks !

[ Edited by: the75stingray on 2004-10-24 17:15 ]

Did anyone make it out to The Primer Nationals yesterday? I was bummed about missing it. I know Danny went out with his homeboy Ivan from teh Cavaliers to show off the new Tiki Hot Rod they did together recently.

There were lots of cars, cool bands, quite a few bitchin' bikes. My friends rode their '65 Triumph and Motoguzzi to the show and was told they had to shut off the engines and roll them in. Funny that the cars were allowed to drive in but somehow the bikes are more dangerous...

Pete "Hot Dog" Finlan was striping anything and everything. I watched him stripe the front end of a '32 high boy in less than 5 minutes and it was f'n amazing! I walked down a row of vendors and when I turned around and got back to his booth he had just finished a gas tank on a vintage Harley. Unreal the detail and symmetry in his pinstriping. I was hypnotized watching him...

Another weird sight was a huge presence of Army vehicles on display. I guess "camo" is considered primer.

Hewey-

Awesome ride... Barris did some amazing things and is still though of as the pre-eminent car customizer. All these "reality" car shows owe their existence to him.

The car you picture brings to mind another great Barris design: the 1966 Pontiac GTO convertible "Monkeemobile". Barris was comissioned to create two Monkeemobiles for the show. Found a great link for the whole story with some excellent shots:

http://www.monkees.net/docs/mmobile.htm

Check it out!

TTK

If you haven't done so already, you need to read Tom Wolfe's "The Kandy-Kolored Tangerine-Flake Streamline Baby." NOW!

My new(to me) shop truck. I am going to put it together the way it is now and cruise it around for the summer. then tear it down and do it mor 40's style with and art deco or rattan couch touch(interior).

Cool idea. Are you going to remove the bench seat? If so, are you putting it up for sale?

Cool Ride Cheekitiki!! Please post some Pic's when its done. I like your other car that is in another post! By the way, hows that car working out. You really are a True artist and I enjoy all of your various projects.
Later,
Spermy

[ Edited by: The Sperm Whale on 2004-12-19 14:58 ]

Dimenthios, Sorry bud, the interior is going a friends truck. Spermy, I'll post pics for sure. BTW that other car is not mine, I just helped out on the interior. It was featured in Burn outs lates issue(Hardcore rod and custom) the far east issue.

Pages: 1 36 replies