Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Newbie TIKI Fan!!!! now I need some help with lime

Pages: 1 9 replies

L

Ok, I've Been reading this board for about 3 months, you guys have been a great help, but here is my problem...
I purchased the Grog Log and Intoxica, and triedsome of the drinks, but it seems to me the amount of lime in the drinks tha require them is an awful lot. I mean when I make the drinks its allways real sour and lime tasting!! EEECH. I use a shot glass with the measuring marks on them. I use only fresh squeezed lime, The drinks allways seem to turn out bad.
I don't substitute anything, but yet I get yuuuck.
This is any drink... I was just wondering if it could be too much lime... is it possible??????
Please help!!!

could be, you just like a less tart drink ~ use a bit less lime and a bit more sugar syrup.

Dogbytes is right.

Also, my experience with limes is that you really have to be sure to get ripe limes. I've accidentally got some not-so-ripe limes and BOY HOWDEY, they are bitter as hell!!

Another issue may be that if you're using a citrus squeezing device, you have to be careful not to squeeze too much so that your also scraping or squeezing the rind- this is very bitter.

L

Awsome! I will have to choose more carefuly when lime shopping!!
Is the small one serving canned pinapple and oj's ok to use? I hate buying a carton of pineapple and let it go to waste. (who drinks this stuff straight anyhow!!)
I'm almost done with the bar itself, I'll post pics as soon as its finished!!

OJ or pineapple juice from a small carton would be too watery for my taste.

Get an OJ squeezer and just squeeze one orange at a time for small amounts.

For pineapple ... for my pina coladas, I buy canned crushed pineapple and then liquefy that in the blender.

First of all, your taste buds need a couple weeks to develop. Give it time, it will happen. America's palate has become too sweet-centric in the last thirty years, and you are probably a victim of that same curse. In the meantime, start with just a little less lime and try to work towards adding a little more until your body grows into your new tiki lifestyle.

Secondly, the ripe limes comment is right on the money. The first mistake most newbies make is going right for the really green, hard, bumpy limes. Those are no good--stay away! You want to find nice, plump, softer, light-colored, almost yellow limes with a smooth texture. These yield more juice and have a little more sugar in them.

Most importantly, keep trying new recipes. Maybe you'll find one a little more to your liking. Believe me, there's plenty of good ones in the Grog Log, so the time spent researching is worth it. And before you know it you might just find yourself, like me, slipping a little EXTRA lime in your drinks; substituting Grapefruit Juice for Pineapple juice to cut the sweet; and doing other outlandish things to get your sour fix.

K
Kono posted on Wed, Sep 29, 2004 9:02 PM

luther, I'm with you on the lime thing. I'm not a big sweet lover (never been one for the chocolate and other sweets) but some of the classic drinks are just too lime dominated for my taste buds.

I've had a Mai Tai (yeah, just the one) at Trader Vics and quite liked it. But I do not like the Mai Tai recipe in TV's bartender guide; the "classic Mai Tai." I don't like it at all, to me it just tastes like someone crammed a half lime into my craw and taped my mouth shut. Pucker factor at Defcon 5! I don't care for the bottled TV Mai Tai either. Try the Surf Room Mai Tai in Intoxica, great drink!

Quince: Thanks for the info on yellower limes vs green ones. I look forward to trying out the "less ripe" ones.

On 2004-09-26 23:11, dogbytes wrote:
could be, you just like a less tart drink ~ use a bit less lime and a bit more sugar syrup.

Dogbytes said it best.

I know making a mai tai is serious business and drinking one is even more but
C'mon now its not rocket science. Its a lime.
Just pick one, cut it and squeeze it already. :lol: I mean a guy could die of thirst around here while waiting for some fresh squeezed lime juice.
....how much...a little? alot? well how green? green like a...how yellow...how large....how small...what circumference?

Aloha :drink:

Pages: 1 9 replies