Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Melissa Auf der Maur....Awsome!!

Pages: 1 7 replies

You got it. The former bassist from Hole is an awsome and beautiful musician in her own right. I got to see her open for The Von Bondies tonight and she was amazing. I never paid any attention to her because I though if she was connected to Courtney, how good could her solo stuff be. She's an amazing live performer, I'll have to see if she holds up on her album. And she reallly is a great bass player. You can see that she is really passionate about it. I would put her up there against any other Rock bass player that is worth their salt. And as far as the way she looks, all I can say is...I'm in luuuuuuuuuv.

[ Edited by: donhonyc on 2004-09-27 23:22 ]

I was about to go to the show, but they shut down Penn Station and the Von Bondies weren't going on until 11, which was way past my curfew for NYC shows.

I caught her a few months back with the Offspring and she was saddly heckled off the stage. I like the music on the record, but her voice just doesn't sound right to me.

-g-

D

Heckled off-stage? Yeah...doesn't surprise me at an Offspring show. Nothing personal to any fans here, but The Offspring are the biggest bunch of 'punk-rock' poseurs I have ever seen or heard. They are only matched by the lot of god-awful 'punk-rock' bands they laid the groundwork for: Good Charlotte, Yellowcard, New Found Glory, etc.

I know... I'm a crank, but it's a familiar scenerio; someone who posesses real talent getting heckled by a bunch of people who worship someone or something who has no talent. Sounds sort of like a situation in our current state of affairs. DOH!

[ Edited by: donhonyc on 2004-09-28 20:22 ]

Spot on, the Auf der Maur album is great. Well worth a buy.

As for the Offspring, what a bunch of talentless, middle-aged wanna be teenage, wanna be punk, shite.

K-H (aged 39)

Yeah, Kon Hemsby pushed in the direction of this album, knowing I was into QOTSA (who act as the backing band for the album). It's one of those that veers very close to FM rock, but is catchy enough to make you put it on again and again. Well worth seeking out.

Trader Woody

On 2004-09-28 20:17, donhonyc wrote:
Heckled off-stage? Yeah...doesn't surprise me at an Offspring show. Nothing personal to any fans here, but The Offspring are the biggest bunch of 'punk-rock' poseurs I have ever seen or heard. They are only matched by the lot of god-awful 'punk-rock' bands they laid the groundwork for: Good Charlotte, Yellowcard, New Found Glory, etc.
[ Edited by: donhonyc on 2004-09-28 20:22 ]

I think she would be a lot better off opening for acts like Bad Religion, Social Distortion, Henry Rollins or ...even...the Foo Fighters.

M

On 2004-09-28 20:17, donhonyc wrote:

I know... I'm a crank, but it's a familiar scenerio; someone who posesses real talent getting heckled by a bunch of people who worship someone or something who has no talent. Sounds sort of like a situation in our current state of affairs. DOH!

How about this classic example? I met a guy who was at a Sammy Hagar concert in the late eighties and the opening act was heckled and booed off the stage. And the opening act was...Stevie Ray Vaughn.

One guitar god in heaven, one audience going to hell.

D

One guitar god in heaven, one audience going to hell.

HA! That's a great way of putting it. I always hear all these great heckling stories from over the years, but in all my years of seeing live music, I have never seen an opening act get booed off the stage. One particularly good example was when I saw Van Halen in 1981, the opening band who I think were called The Cats were so god awful, I still remember how bad to this day. THEY didn't get booed off. However, I have heard that when Prince and the B-52s on two different occasions opened for the Stones also in '81, they both got booed off!

[ Edited by: donhonyc on 2004-09-30 09:57 ]

Pages: 1 7 replies