Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Tiki Description?

Pages: 1 16 replies

I've been a TC'er for a while now, and it really has changed my life in many ways. You could say it's a part of who I am.

But I often draw a blank when people ask me, "Tiki? What is tiki?" I know there may be a couple of threads that talk about this as a broader issue, but if you had to sum up tiki in a brief mission statement to people who don't have any idea, what would it be?

Hey finkdaddy...I just tell people it's
a retro-tropical-escapist sub culture...
that seems to work. Everyone that I know
has the opinion that i'm nuts anyway...so
it just fits in.

K

I just tell people it's
a retro-tropical-escapist sub culture.

Where I live in TX people are not familiar with terms like "retro" and "sub-culture" so when I'm asked "What the hell is a tiki?" I just show them my tattoo. You'd think that people that work in antique malls would have heard the word "Tiki" before but none of them have a clue. Ask for a ceramic rooster and they'll take you right to it.

I just show people my TiKy tOny necklace, my books that I take every where I go and then I force them to listen to King Kukulele and Martin Denny. Then I send them on their way with a list of all the websites to check out. That otta do it, dang it!

http://www.fallingcocos.com/

[ Edited by: MEAN GENE on 2004-09-28 10:29 ]

On 2004-09-28 09:38, Juno wrote:

I just tell people it's
a retro-tropical-escapist sub culture.

Where I live in TX people are not familiar with terms like "retro" and "sub-culture" so when I'm asked "What the hell is a tiki?" I just show them my tattoo. You'd think that people that work in antique malls would have heard the word "Tiki" before but none of them have a clue. Ask for a ceramic rooster and they'll take you right to it.

That's what I mean. Around here 'retro' means that I watch That 70's Show. When I try and explain the laid-back attitude, the carvings, the drinks, the art, the music, etc, I just get blank stares. One woman even said I was just an alcoholic hippie! I usualy wind up saying you either know it and love it or you don't. But then I seem like a snob. Oh well, it's lonely being a tikiphile in the midwest.

Tell me about it! Tiki just isn't on the radar over here, apart from a few old codgers who remember the Kon-Tiki expedition. A few may have visited Trader Vic's, but they certainly can't imagine someone basing a lifestyle around it. I'd get more nods of recognition if I said I was into beastiality!

Trader Woody

People are stubborn, but soon they will see the light!!!

[ Edited by: MEAN GENE on 2004-09-28 12:23 ]

Fink...you stumbled onto the perfect
answer...escapism for alcoholic hippies!
We're the anti-ceramic rooster cult.

We're the anti-ceramic rooster cult

I like that!

On 2004-09-28 12:25, finkdaddy wrote:

I like that!

Ditto! Sounds like one killa bumper sticker!

On 2004-09-28 11:47, congatiki wrote:
...escapism for alcoholic hippies!

Finally someone who understands:-)

[ Edited by: McDougall on 2004-09-28 13:19 ]

W

When I'm doing my Friday and Saturday night Tiki street preaching I have to boil it down for the Ordinary masses.

Hawaii is always a good starting point...Everyone (and by "everyone" I mean the USA 'cause that's all that matters, right?) knows about Hawaii and Aloha shirts (but call them "Hawaiian shirts" when talking to an Ordinary). By now most folks are familiar with the idea of collectibles and people getting freakishly weird about collecting. For the simpler Ordinary I just stop there: Vintage Hawaiian stuff and Hawaiian bars.

For the slightly aware Ordinary I bring up the Pacific Island gods. Trader Vic's is a good next step. That naturally leads into Tiki mugs.

If it's an Ordinary under 40 or with kids "Sponge Bob Square Pants" is a big help.

After all this if the Ordinary seems moved I then ask if he/she would like to accept Tiki into his/her life.

I should make a tract. But in the very near future this will all be a lot easier once the Icon edition of The Book is here.

If they have to ask, it doesn't really matter does it...

On 2004-09-28 21:35, Tiki_Bong wrote:

now THAT is about the truest statement I have ever heard. I'll drink to that one!

K

On 2004-09-28 21:35, Tiki_Bong wrote:

This is the truth. I live in Hawaii, work next to a restaurant called "Tiki's" and sometimes people who LIVE here as "what's tiki?"..omg.

On 2004-09-28 20:53, woofmutt wrote:

Hawaii is always a good starting point...Everyone (and by "everyone" I mean the USA 'cause that's all that matters, right?)

Really?

On 2004-09-28 12:25, finkdaddy wrote:

I like that!

It gets my vote!

Pages: 1 16 replies