Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Earthquake! Everyone OK?

Pages: 1 13 replies

Just read about the quake on CNN. No details yet. Any news from the front lines?

I was in Court, (Santa Clara Co.) and there was some construction going on, so nobody even noticed.

I understand it was centered in a place called Paso Robles, where in recent shakers, quite a bit of good wine was lost.

Hope everybody's okay...liquor check

T

i'm about 20 miles south-east of los angeles and didn't feel a thing. they said it was felt in la, but nothing shook around here.

T

Sounds like the mugs are safe then...

T

We rocked and rolled here in Burbank!
Bob's is safe, I'm happy to report...

I didn't feel a thing in Santa Cruz and I am cool with it.

Chongolio

-- I believe that our Heavenly Father invented the monkey because he was disappointed in man."
... Mark Twain

Come explore http://www.lost-isle.com

[ Edited by: Chongolio on 2004-09-28 18:43 ]

T

It's funny, because I get the international version of CNN (which is still US centric but not quite so much) and they had this huge red banner across the top of the page: BREAKING NEWS! CALIFORNIA HIT WITH 5.8 EARTHQUAKE! DETAILS TO FOLLOW! so I automatically assumed it was a biggie. I guess I should ignore the red banners and breaking news from now on.

It was big enough to get all the hanging lamps buckin like a rodeo bull, but did not rattle the fillings like the big kahuna that hit in December. That one was gnarly. I live a half hour from Paso, there was a 6.something in Parkfield, then two minutes later there was a 5.8 in Shandon (inland from Paso Robles). The first one made me nauseaous (sp?) the second one definately was more "quake-like". This one had the floor rolling like a wave but it didn't shake enough to topple anything to the floor. Thank heavens!

One of the guys in our office (originally from Chicago) freaked out a little - but most of us take the view that a little one is much preferable to a huge one...
Now, 1993 on the other hand, was scary...

Just had one a 12:55 pm.
Felt like about a rating 4.
Mugs are fine.

Addendum-
Hey not a bad guess Kevin.
I just went to the website and it was a 3.9.
Now if I could just predict them
I have to go buy some of that pottery stickem gum stuff.

[ Edited by: Unga Bunga on 2004-10-25 14:06 ]

Wow, you guys in Cali hang in there. We had a horrible year of hurricanes here in Florida, and the only advantage is being able to prepare. I remeber visiting my Dad in San Diego a few years ago and a slight tremmor happened really late while we were sleeping, that really scared the s*%$ out of me. I guess living in tropical areas ie: Florida, California, and Hawaii have it's costs.

T

Japan had a few fairly large quakes this week.
Do we have any TC members from Japan?
Hope things are OK over there!

Wow! Yep I hope everyone and their mugs are OK!

I had a dream the other night about being in an earthquake - I was in a horrible country bar at the time, it had shingles instead of palm thatching inside...yuck!

B

[ Edited by: BaronV 2005-07-19 17:18 ]

Pages: 1 13 replies