Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Alan Hale's Lobster Barrel?

Pages: 1 28 replies

D

I was just reading a book about Gilligan's Island and in it, there is mention that the skipper (Alan Hale Jr.) greeted people at a restaurant called Alan Hale's Lobster Barrel. Anybody remember this place? Was it in L.A.?

I wish it was true and it is!

A quick bout of Googling and I got "Alan Hale Jr. didn't just portray the 'Skipper' on Gilligan's Island, but was also a well known owner of a restaurant called "The Lobster Barrel." His famous restaurant, which was in business for about 15 years in the 70's and 80's, was Located on Hollywood's 'Restaurant Row.' Alan often greeted customers wearing his skipper's hat just like the one he wore in the show. He would stroll through the restaurant greeting patrons, signing autograph cards and even giving away several "Captain's Hats." Folks said time after time that Alan had always shown extreme good will which made their experience much more memorable.

The Lobster Barrel is now closed and was the home of a bar called "The Shark Bar Restaurant." Not too sure why it is no longer in business, but it's still standing and you can see it at 826 N. La Cienega Blvd. in Los Angeles, CA."

'The Shark Bar' sounded pretty cool, too!

Trader Woody
PS - I found this quote too " He'd be sitting at the bar in his skipper's hat, getting hammered. Then he'd go around from table to table, shaking people's hands and chatting with them, whether they were into it or not."

[ Edited by: Trader Woody on 2004-09-29 10:39 ]

D

Thats great info Woody!!!!! Does any TC members have old photos?

there was also a lobster barrel on cherry ave in long beach california.

I like Trader Woody. I wish he would defect to the U.S. like the rest of his European brethren.

With this thread being next to the Knott's Scary Farm thread gave me the idea of an undead, drunken Skipper greeting customers in a haunted Tiki bar...

On 2004-10-01 22:10, Tiki_Bong wrote:
I like Trader Woody. I wish he would defect to the U.S. like the rest of his European brethren.

Aw, thanks Bong. Actually, I did defect to the US for 6 years back when Reagan was in charge. Then I defected back.
It's ok - I'm a friendly double-agent.

Trader Woody

I like Trader Woody too. My appreciation for him dates back to his "Lawn Gnome" thread...

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=6747&forum=6

K
Kanaka posted on Mon, Oct 4, 2004 6:12 AM

Digitiki,

What book were you reading about Gilligan's Island?

Kanaka

D

Kanaka,
It was the one written by the Professor. "Here on Gilligan's Island" Its several years old but a very insightful read about the show. There is only a very short mention about the restaurant.

K

Yes remember it well. Actually I have a picture of my 3 year old daughter with Alan Hale in the bar at the Lobster Barrel - she is now 34. Great restaurant and he was a very charming man. He sat with us at dinner. The bar was quite tropical and he was the "Skipper" - dressed in his white pants, tropical shirt and hat. If I can I will scan the picture and post it.

K

Trader Woody - what you read is untrue - well at least on the night we were there 31 years ago with our 3 year old daughter - he was very cordial and not drunk or anyting like that. He sat at our table and had dinner with us and then picked up the tab. My daughter to this day remembers that evening.

I'd love to see that pic...thanks for the story too, kuuipo.

http://www.samgambino.com

K

Hey Sam - I just checked out your website - can those tiki signs be purchased?

I will find that picture and post it! I remember Alan gave our daughter a "Tiki Temple" aka "Shirley Temple".

kuuipo (Sweetheart)

Thanks kuuipo. Can't wait to see the pic if you can find it... Also, I sent you a personal message.

[ Edited by: Phillip Roberts 2013-05-28 13:59 ]

H

Alan Hale was a very nice guy. His daughter, Lana, used to sing with our rock band in L.A. in the late 60's. Very pretty girl.We saw him a bunch.
At her debut appearance, we blew the speakers out of all of our new Standel amps, and sounded like "mud" ....at the L.A.Sports Arena no less. Embarrassing ?? Yikes!!
I think she quit that day.

Obviously a man who knew his way around a cocktail.

On 2004-10-15 13:35, Sam Gambino wrote:
I'd love to see that pic...thanks for the story too, kuuipo.

http://www.samgambino.com

Hi Sam,

I had a look at your web link and scrolling through the tiki art I came across the Leaping Tiki bar sign. I hate to tell you this but I bought a bar sign from a retail chain over here a couple of years ago that is a rip off of your design. I've attached a photo to show what I mean and there's no mistaking that it's a copy of your work. I've added a Shag sticker to my sign as you can see. The place I bought it from is called Sam's Warehouse (ironically) and a link to their web site is as follows in case you want to follow them up: http://catalogues.samswarehouse.com.au/adrt/home.html

Thanks for the heads up, Thurston Howell! That sign is legit though, as I licensed that design for pub signs a while back. I appreciate you letting me know though, as I've learned about lots of ripoffs by posts like this. Cheers!

K

I've got a night shot of the sign I'm trying to find.

W

Alan Hale's Lobster Barrel sounds like it would be one hell of a cocktail!

It only gets better!

On 2013-05-31 05:44, Wayfarer wrote:

A Rum barrel with Lobster juice added?
8-o

Jeff btd

On 2013-05-31 06:43, bigtikidude wrote:

On 2013-05-31 05:44, Wayfarer wrote:

A Rum barrel with Lobster juice added?
8-o
Jeff btd

...and with Ginger and Mary Anne serving it in the manner of the Mai Kai Mystery Girl!

K
kiara posted on Sun, Jun 2, 2013 2:39 PM

On 2013-05-31 06:15, Bora Boris wrote:
It only gets better!

I'm getting a little off of topic, but this is a great photo to share here.

And then there's this image. There is some tiki here though...
Restaurant row.

K
kiara posted on Sun, Jun 2, 2013 2:49 PM

A little blurry, but worth a look.

Pages: 1 28 replies