Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

This rain lamp is killing me.

Pages: 1 15 replies

If you remember from my post a couple of months ago, I bought a rain lamp on ebay and was having trouble with the oil situation. Thanks to your help, I've gotten that under control.

What happens though, when the motor stops working on the pump? Power is getting to the motor because there is a very slight hum coming from it, but the armature isn't turning. I tried manually turning the pump but that didn't free it up or anything. If I install a new pump, how do I wire it so that the pump is turned on and off from the original power source?

If anybody has any ideas about what to do about this, I'd really appreciate it.

My water pump often jams ... when it does, I leave the power on, take off the little panel that encloses the little windmill-looking thing that actually drives the water, and try turning the little blades with your finger or popsicle stick -- with the power on, mind you.

But if it still doesn't work, turn power off, drain all water away, then dissamble the pump until you get to the electrical part. Undo the screws that hold the power lines to the motor. Throw pump away.

Undo new pump until you get to the electrical part. Then connect up the lines in the same way as they were on the old pump. Reassemble pump.

Hope this works --

Wow, that was actually pretty simple. I'll try it out. Thanks. Is there a certain type of pump that I should buy if I have to replace it?

Here's the pump I use for my oil rain lamp:

http://www.dickinson.edu/~osborne/pump.jpg

Hakalugi - You Got Me! Haaaaah!

I'll try to get one of those, but I don't think it's gonna fit.

UJ

Lucky, did you ever get yours working again?
I need to get mine going.

Nope. The thing is still killing me. I think I might just buy an new one on eBay. I got one of the new plastic rain lamps but it just isn't the same. I thought that I could swap out the pumps but I don't think the plastic one is strong enough to pump the oil for a big rain lamp.

I'll keep my eyes open, if i come across any motors or repair tips, I'll post them.

I know this thread is older, but I just picked one up, and am pretty familiar with the pumps. First thing is only use mineral oil, which can be found at most drug stores including CVS, on the same aisle that carries imodium/pepto, and other laxatives. My rain lamp was in really ROUGH shape, but the motor worked. As soon as I'm finished refurbishing/redesigning it, I'll post up some pics. I took apart the motor, and cleaned it out to help it run a little more quiet, and it currently works like a pistol! My rain lamp took a minimum 32oz(1qt) of mineral oil. Some of the smaller lamps can take as little as 16oz of oil and pump fine, but mine is around 32 inches in height, with double strings.

I found that using toothpicks/larger paper clips help to clean the "pores" of the lamp, and unclog slower running strings. It is tedious, but worth it. Also helps to keep the inside base dust/bug free, as the oil acts as a good trap and pulls the debris back into the lamp base, and recirculates it back to the top, where the strings can clog. Keeping clean mineral oil in it will help avoid clogs. Also running it more frequently helps keep the oil cleaner.

[ Edited by: Tom Slick 2013-07-18 11:17 ]

Awesome!

How do you fix a broken wire?
Can't wait for the pics!

8T

I just got one of these lamps this summer at a yard sale for $3.00
Now I guess I better see if it works. I hadn't looked into what kind of oil it used or where to add it yet. On a similar topic, when I was a kid, the mall by our house had a giant rain lamp in the concourse. Everyone said it was glycerine that ran down the wires. Wish I had a photo of it. Must have been 20-30 feet tall.

TS

I'd look at between 50lb-100/lb test fishing line, see which is closest to your tinsel strength, and string it from the top broken hole to the bottom, unless yours is laced similar to mine, where it is one continual line with only two ties. In that case, you'd have to relace the whole lamp.

Oh, and I'm going to try and have pics up as soon as I get my center piece ordered.

[ Edited by: Tom Slick 2009-07-24 14:28 ]

Just my rainlamp update. I was at Oceanic Arts today, and onto Michaels to pick up misc. other stuff. The lamp housing should be done this weekend, and I'm waiting to see if I will wind up with the center piece I want. If not, I may have a backup center piece to find!

I hate to bother anyone .. I have a rain lamp. A big one.. well I hadn't used it in over a year. So I changed the oil.. here's the thing... some strings are "raining"and fast, a couple just right and a couple rather pokeys ones and the rest not at all... I stuck a needle into each hole on top to make sure they aren't clogged... what should I do now??? I put mineral oil in it... it had cooking oil in it before... please help if ya would...

On 2013-05-09 20:11, melissared26 wrote:
I hate to bother anyone .. I have a rain lamp. A big one.. well I hadn't used it in over a year. So I changed the oil.. here's the thing... some strings are "raining"and fast, a couple just right and a couple rather pokeys ones and the rest not at all... I stuck a needle into each hole on top to make sure they aren't clogged... what should I do now??? I put mineral oil in it... it had cooking oil in it before... please help if ya would...

The cooking oil has probably clogged up the works, you're only suppose to use mineral oil
maybe a cleaning with a de-greaser is in order?

Pages: 1 15 replies