Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

is my tiki bar a fire hazard?

Pages: 1 7 replies

I've been working on my bar off and on now for 3 months, my wife help me make the "roof" out of Rafia(mispelled?). My worry is someone with to many Zombie's in him flipping a cig butt on my roof and burning my intire house down (this is an indoor bar)
Does anyone know of a product one can buy to make it fire resistant? I plan on keeping a fire Exstinguisher handy just in case!!!

[ Edited by: luther_c on 2004-09-30 11:00 ]

I used layered party-store hula skirts for the thatch on my tiki bar "roof" - much easier to deal with than loose raffia. I would assume that since those are meant for human wear, they would be flame resistant, although I admit I didn't double check.

just remember, INflammable means capable of being inflamed - not fire proof.

No candles!!

D

your bar is fine.
your butt-flicking friends are the hazard! :o

how do you "flick" your butt?????

On 2004-09-30 11:00, luther_c wrote:
My worry is someone with to many Zombie's in him flipping a cig butt on my roof and burning my intire house down (this is an indoor bar).

Maybe the simplest idea is the best, to keep an ashtray or two around or require smoking guests to take it outside.

(or maybe I can only come up with simple ideas.)

I found a chemical in Germany to fire-proof the thatched roofs at the Tabou Tiki Room.
It was about a gallon for $80 and it's definetely the best thing I could have bought. It's a clear liquid that you can spray. I did a couple of coats. I'm sure you could find something similar in the US.

yep, it's called fire retardent. Use it. anyone who has done any theatrical production can tell you where to aquire it locally. Or...do an internet search.

Pages: 1 7 replies