Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

What I always wanted to ask Sven Kirsten...

Pages: 1 41 replies

M

Aloha Tiki-Curious,

this Sunday (the 3rd of Oct.) we will interview the "Man of Tiki" about his BOT and everything that he got rollin. Now you get the chance to pose the quuestion that you always had in mind but never dared to ask - or more possibly didn't get the opportunity.

(We will consider your suggestions but can't promise that they will make it onto the final DVD)

Mahalo for your interest and contribution.

The DVD of Tiki
http://www.armchair-travelling.com

[ Edited by: Mogambo on 2004-11-26 04:29 ]

H

Sure, here's one.

Sven, what is your favorite tropical/tiki
drink?

Oh, and the Sven-Tiki doesn't count!

[ Edited by: Hakalugi on 2004-10-01 10:57 ]

T

Is there anything that if you could do it differently now that you would change, add or take out from the BOT to make it better. (which I know is hard with how good it is but most always think, if only I had done this.)

When is that book on Witco coming out?

Why did you spell my Grandfathers name wrong?

M

"where's the beef?" :)

V

yeah, I got one:

Sven -- do you listen to Vegas Vic's Tiki Lounge? )8

Sven,
Do you think the U.S. monetary system should return to the gold standard?

Here's one, "Did you ever dream that Tiki/Polynesia would come back around so strong again after so many years? And we're not even near the peak yet, imo.

At one point in Episode 29 of the original series, your character states that it's impossible to charge the phaser banks because the atmosphere of the planet is too dense...are you aware that there was a similar situation in episode 50 during which the phasers were successfully fired? Was this ever a matter of concern for the script person or whoever wrote that one? I personally found this to be a serious discrepancy (adjusts glasses on nose).

T

What direction would you like to see TIKI go in the next few years.

Do you think that the commercialization(sp) of TIKI has ruined it or helped bring it to light.

When can we expect to see BOT II

Does Hanes really have no tag.

How many Tongans does it take to screw in a light bulb.

What ancient TIKI style is your favorite.

Could you live the old TIKI lifestyle on your own Island. For how long.

Should we legally change the W to a V

Does the love from the people of Tiki Central keep you going.

Will you ever stop taking work in Germany so we can have you home all the time

Do people as stupid as Bong and myself stand in your way

If Arnold ever changes the way we can pick a President will you run

Ditto!

Also, will the Witco book illustrate all known Witcos from catalogs, etc.?

Will it illustrate any Witco "spin-offs" - works of people that used to work for Witco, then went out on their own? If not, we'd better be researching these on our own, while (if) people are still alive. We've already named a couple of these people on TC, but don't have anything like catalogs for them.

[ Edited by: tikijackalope on 2004-10-02 12:54 ]

S
Swanky posted on Sat, Oct 2, 2004 1:08 PM

When did BOT start and when was it first finished? I think it was done a full 10 years before it was finally published. Imagine how things might have changed had it been out 10 years earlier! We might still have the Kahiki!

On 2004-10-01 23:29, procinema29 wrote:
At one point in Episode 29 of the original series, your character states that it's impossible to charge the phaser banks because the atmosphere of the planet is too dense...are you aware that there was a similar situation in episode 50 during which the phasers were successfully fired? Was this ever a matter of concern for the script person or whoever wrote that one? I personally found this to be a serious discrepancy (adjusts glasses on nose).

Brilliant! My store is located inside of a video store and I hear this dialog damn near every day! I have to leave the room 'cause I bust up laughing every time. I make them rent "Galaxy Quest" but most of them are offended by it...

Sven, what inspires you to keep the tiki flame burning?

Who does your hair!!

All silliness aside, actually, ever since I read "The Book of Tiki" I haven't HAD any questions to ask. That is a seriously researched piece of work! Any apologies within about a "lack of thoroughness" are just formalities, I think.

Allrighty then, brethren, I will try to answer these questions in good faith...Tiki faith, that is (Joe actually posed quite a few of them yesterday):

drink?

That depends on the bar I am at, or on the mixologist. Here in Berlin at the Rum Trader it is the Elephant Hunter, a very rich full experience.
At Madame Wu's in Santa Monica it used to be the Fogcutter that Tony Ramos made, never had one like it since.
At the Tiki Ti, for a long time I preferred the Navy Grog, then I switched to the Great White as mixed by Mike senior. A very potent hallucinogenic. Unfortunately, as Jeff Berry fondly recalls, I once came home from Germany going pretty much straight to the Ti, but was so jetlagged that I overdosed on the G W, conked out at the ElChavo's restroom and threw up out of Jeff's truck window. Nothing like one to many to get you of a drink for a while. I currently prefer the dainty Hawaiian Twist at the Ti.
Generally I have to admit that after years of enjoying tart and sour concoctions, lately I have been partial to the girly drinks, the ones that have (oh no!) coconut in it. Here at the Tabou Tiki, April mixes a Guava Colada that is absolutely addictive.
Last not least my friend Ted Haigh mixed me one of his vintage discoveries, the Monkey Gland, and it is delicious, the only cocktail I know of that uses Absinth and fruit juices and works (No, I don't like the Dr. Funk). You can find the recipe in "Vintage Cocktails and Spirits", just out from Apple Press. I consider it the BOT of cocktail archeology.

Is there anything that if you could do it differently now that you would change, add or take out from the BOT to make it better?

There was the initial idea of having an Exotica CD in the back, but that got nixed due to cost. It would have been nice to be able to consume the imagery while listening to the appropriate Jungle Jazz, but when faced with the choice of getting more pages or the CD, I opted for increased volume, to make it a BOOK book, and I am happy with that: My publisher let me increase my initial page limit from 179 pages twice, to the current 287.
I regret having to lop off the Tiki TV and Exotica chapters at the end, but in the last stages of editing it became apparent that the page count for the translations had been underestimated, and something had to give, fast. Off with chapters 24 and 25. The trilingual format was essential to the book's low price.

What? Que? Was bitte? Sigh...next spring.

Why did you spell my Grandfather's name wrong?

Actually, I didn't. It's your family who had it wrong all along, Ben!

Where's the beef?

Right here, Big Boy!

Sven -- do you listen to Vegas Vic's Tiki Lounge?

Unfortunately, I am not a radio listener. But I hear it is quite good. Must be, if they play a lot of Paul Page.

Yes, and I think they should do it with a Tiki coin!

Did you ever dream that Tiki/Polynesia would come back around so strong again after so many years?

I never would have imagined that when in the 90s I was having my Tiki symposiums and editing Tiki News I would one day have my own Tiki mug. That is making it to the Tiki Olymp. Or that my contribution would inspire so many new restaurants, carvers, mug makers, painters and artists to recreate the image of Tiki. It's a kick every day.

I am glad you brought that to my attention, I was never precisely aware of that problem, but always had an uneasy feeling...

What direction would you like to see TIKI go in the next few years?

Bigger and better. True to Tiki. Anything that livens up the dreary urban landscape of today must be good, let it be Tiki.

Do you think that the commercialization(sp) of TIKI has ruined it or helped bring it to light.

As above. I think it is ironic to lament current Tiki commercialization, since it initially was a pop culture, and that's what we love about. There will be some good, some good bad, and some bad bad. It is for everyone to pick what they like, and I hope the BOT will be your guide. The more choice the better, the name of Tiki shall never be forgotten again!

When can we expect to see BOT II

Not really the BOT 2, but maybe the Son of BOT, a book of all the products that used imagery from it?
There can't be a BOT 2, that story has already been told, but there are many more books where, by exploring a specific Tiki phenomenon (Witco, Spanish Tiki, Tiki Shirts) I will recap on the larger world of Tiki, with new images, to put things into context.

Does Hanes really have no tag?

THAT was the toughest question, sorry, I opt out.

How many Tongans does it take to screw in a light bulb?

In light of their recent financial crisis I think you should be more sensitive, they might take that personal.

What ancient TIKI style is your favorite?

Marquesan: Modern, Primitive, Tiki.

Could you live the old TIKI lifestyle on your own Island? For how long?

I don't think so. Although I appreciate country living, as a visual junky I need a constant influx of eye candy, and being in a remote place, I would go on cold turkey pretty soon. Maybe a continuous supply of female beauties would help...but that's just a myth anyway. Two months max.

Should we legally change the W to a V?

Vi yes! I think Vitco sounds better.

Does the love from the people of Tiki Central keep you going?

Ab-so-lute-ly!

Will you ever stop taking work in Germany so we can have you home all the time?

I am working on it. Maybe you guys can start a trust fund for me, that would help.

Do people as stupid as Bong and myself stand in your way?

Only when I've had too many Mai Tais and have to go to the restroom.

If Arnold ever changes the way we can pick a President will you run?

If Arnold ever gets that powerful, yes, I will run...away that is. Then again, that could only be an improvement to the current state.

Also, will the Witco book illustrate all known Witcos from catalogs, etc.?

A lot, but not all. I will concentrate on Tiki, Exotic and Modern. Let's save Conquistador and Viking for later generations.

Will it illustrate any Witco "spin-offs" - works of people that used to work for Witco, then went out on their own? If not, we'd better be researching these on our own, while (if) people are still alive. We've already named a couple of these people on TC, but don't have anything like catalogs for them.

I definetly will show Witco copies, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, and I welcome any information on the makers.

When did BOT start and when was it first finished?

I attended an LA Cacaphony Society Tiki evening at Bahooka's in 1992 and decided after that I had to make the book. My first proposal, which had all the basic concepts of the BOT in it, was rejected by Chronicle a couple of months later. So it took 8 years to come out. The actual writing and making of it, after I got the green light from Benedikt Taschen in 1999, took only a year. It was already all in my head.

Imagine how things might have changed had it been out 10 years earlier! We might still have the Kahiki

I doubt it, after all it comes down to money, financial feasability. Realistically, to protect culturally important structures, the key is to offer financial solutions for them.
I am glad the BOT saved the Tiki theme at the Tropics Motel, but that kind of insight is rare.

Sven, what inspires you to keep the tiki flame burning?

It is still the best game to play. The toys are the coolest, and I have found playmates all over the states, and all over the world!

Who does your hair!!

The cheapest neighbourhood barber of wherever I am, currently the one at the Friedrichstrasse train station.

All silliness aside, actually, ever since I read "The Book of Tiki" I haven't HAD any questions to ask. That is a seriously researched piece of work! Any apologies within about a "lack of thoroughness" are just formalities, I think.

Why thank you. Actually, I tried to make the BOT not too academically complete, leaving out some stuff, so that the mystery that inspired me could remain and inspire future urban archeologists.

M

Right after the interview with Sven we had to race back to Munich. Now after a little sleep I wanted to sit down with a coffee and post the answers that I collected from Mr. Kirsten, but to my surprise all the work is done already. Thanks to Sven for taking his time to do such an indepth interview for our Tiki DVD (almost 5h!) and thanks to everybody at TC for participating.

It was wonderful to shoot the interview in the amazing, uneblievably exotic and charming tabou tiki room. To see it for real was breathtaking. Thanks to April and Stefan.

The DVD of Tiki

[ Edited by: Mogambo on 2004-11-26 04:23 ]

Thanks to Sven and Mogambo for all of that; 'twas a pleasant and informative first-of-the-week read.

On 2004-10-04 00:09, bigbrotiki wrote:

drink?

That depends on the bar I am at, or on the mixologist. Here in Berlin at the Rum Trader it is the Elephant Hunter, a very rich full experience.

Hmmmmmmm, "Rum Trader" - as that sounds like the kind of place that's right up my street, (and as I've flights booked to Berlin) I looked for it on the interweb and came up with this:

Looks like a lively place!

Trader Woody

On 2004-10-04 14:07, Trader Woody wrote:

On 2004-10-04 00:09, bigbrotiki wrote:

drink?

Looks like a lively place!

Trader Woody

I'll bet a mess o'Euro's that's absinthe on the left!

We just came back from the wonderful Rum Trader (yes, we don't have better things to do on our only day off). It's our version of the Tiki Ti. It's not at all like the photo (no offense but did you find the pic on a British Soccer Fan Page?) makes you believe. Very classy and great cocktails.

I bet it's not Absinthe on the picture.........

On 2004-10-04 16:15, kaiserstyle wrote:
(no offense but did you find the pic on a British Soccer Fan Page?)

What are you insinuating? No I didn't.

Trader Woody

On 2004-10-05 03:16, Trader Woody wrote:

Trader Woody

That British Soccer Fan's don't appreciate a good cocktail or cocktail bar.

V
virani posted on Tue, Oct 5, 2004 3:33 AM

Sven is right, the elephant hunter is a nirvana-feels-like cocktail. God, I loved it.

On 2004-10-05 03:33, virani wrote:
Sven is right, the elephant hunter is a nirvana-feels-like cocktail. God, I loved it.

Have you got a recipe?

On 2004-10-05 03:31, Kon-Hemsby wrote:

On 2004-10-05 03:16, Trader Woody wrote:

Trader Woody

That British Soccer Fan's don't appreciate a good cocktail or cocktail bar.

Why British? Doesn't Germany have soccer fans? Why the casual racism?

Hey, I'm curious here because I just posted a photo that amused me of a guy looking like he'd had half a dozen too many. No mention was made of his nationality as it's irrelevant even if I knew. People get drunk and paw at breasts the world round every night. He's one guy, not everyone in the bar nor a representative of the German drinking nation.

So why mention British football fans? What's that about? What's the relevance?

If a Canadian posted a photo of some drunk guy at the Tonga Room, wouldn't it seem weird and offensive if someone from San Francisco posted back that it must be a Canadian hockey fan?

When someone posts 'No offense, but...." you get the feeling that they actually are trying to offend, but I'm unsure whether it's me, Brits or British football fans that should feel offended. I'm perplexed by this whole thing as Kaiserstyle has been very friendly towards me up to now. Hell, perhaps there's a big problem with British fans going over to Berlin and getting drunk and breast-squeezing that I don't know about. Maybe it was a joke I missed, but it would be nice to have some sort of explanation.

Trader Woody

[ Edited by: Trader Woody on 2004-10-05 10:25 ]

woah woah there..I'm sure the football fan comment was meant in humour.

Anyway the real question is...is there a published recipe for the Elephant Hunter?

V
virani posted on Tue, Oct 5, 2004 6:32 AM

I was too drunk to remember the mixing :wink:

On 2004-10-05 06:32, virani wrote:
I was too drunk to remember the mixing :wink:

Any Rum Trader employees on the forum?

How do I go about becoming a cinematographer?

M

For your consideration: The interview was finished last weekend.

Unless Mr. Kirsten feels stimulated by your witty questions and drops by to check them out - don't expect more answers at this point.

[ Edited by: Mogambo on 2004-11-26 04:23 ]

[ Edited by: Mogambo on 2004-11-26 04:46 ]

Thanks Kon-Hemsby; of course it was a bad joke, written either late at night or early in the morning.

I made alot of bad jokes in my life but I would have never thought to be called a RACIST for that one?

Sorry about that.

Back to the wonderful Elephant Hunter. I think the owner of the Rum Trader gave Sven the receipe for a Beachbum Berry book.

I couldn't find it in the Grog Log or Intoxica. One day I shall taste it!

Kaiserstyle, no worries. I didn't take the comment as 'racist' either as an Englishman or a football fan (well I wouldn't I can't stand the game).

Peace and love to all!

No problem Kaiserstyle. It's incredibly easy for messages to get 'lost in translation' on a messageboard. I guess I got the wrong end of the stick and over-reacted. I've got a lousy cold and my head is about to blow up, so I blame that!

See you in March!

Trader Woody

Peace and harmony restored, 'Elephant hunter's all round!!'

Kaiserstyle, I haven't been to your establishment yet, so please enlighten me as to your house special. What's top of the list as a 'must try'?

(sorry if this is off topic)

That's right, be nice now, kids!
The 3rd volume of Jeff Berry's Polynesian researches will come out next month, it is called TABOO TABLE and deals mostly with Pu Pus of the classic variety, (some slightly modified for today's palate). Among the few cocktail recipes will be one from the Rum Trader, but it will not be the Elephant hunter.
The Rum Trader has no employees, the establishment has the size of a small living room, and is expertly run by it's sole proprietor, Mr. Scholl. And he doesn't do internet. So it seems one will have to travel to Berlin to taste his Elephant hunter, which is traditionally served in a Trader Vic's shotgun shell glass.

Thanks Sven. I'll be on the look out for the book. And another establishment on my list to visit when I (eventually) get to Berlin.

Mahalo

T

On 2004-10-06 03:48, bigbrotiki wrote:
That's right, be nice now, kids!
The 3rd volume of Jeff Berry's Polynesian researches will come out next month, it is called TABOO TABLE and deals mostly with Pu Pus of the classic variety, (some slightly modified for today's palate). Among the few cocktail recipes will be one from the Rum Trader, but it will not be the Elephant hunter.
The Rum Trader has no employees, the establishment has the size of a small living room, and is expertly run by it's sole proprietor, Mr. Scholl. And he doesn't do internet. So it seems one will have to travel to Berlin to taste his Elephant hunter, which is traditionally served in a Trader Vic's shotgun shell glass.

Herr Scholl

V
virani posted on Wed, Oct 6, 2004 6:15 AM

Herr Scholl is a great entertainer. He speaks curently german, english and french with a lovely accent. We had really nice conversation as he was happy to have 2 parisian in his place (he used to live there).
He drinks gin&tonic and makes gorgeous cocktails. The girl's cocktail he makes is a "maharadji" (don't know the spelling) wich is the female version of the maharadja, with indian rum. Verrrrry good.

ooooh, and as I may get to go to Berlin next summer (July), this is a DEFinite stop.
Ich gehe noch, Herr Scholl! (I think that's right.) That and the Berlin Trader Vic's - quelle treat!

Except that it would be with my parents' cruise ship, which only has trips into the cities by day, and has to be back by like freakin' dinner!! Afternoon cocktails?

Stockholm is also on the agenda, and I ACHE to see the cool Tiki Room (bar) there (was it you, Tiki Chris, who posted the FAB fotos of that in the past?)

It may be the kind of trip where all I do is eat my heart out cuz I'm so close and yet so far away from the stuff I want to see in these cities!! But if while over there I got to see the elusive Sven again, it might be worth it!

(to the high, whiney voice of the kid yelling "Come back, Shane!")"Come back, Sven!! Sveeeen, come baacck!"

Aloha Sven....I came across this thread and thought it time to revive it! So, to continue along the same line of question that Tiki_Bong posted to you back on 10-1-2004:

On 2004-10-01 22:01, Tiki_Bong wrote:
Sven,

You answered: "Yes, and I think they should do it with a Tiki coin!"

My question to you is: What image(s) should be on the head and tail sides of the coin?

Pages: 1 41 replies