Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

dollar dvds

Pages: 1 3 replies

I haven't noticed anyone mentioning these, so I hope I'm not giving out anyone's secret DVD hunting ground: All over Southern California, and I'd assume elsewhere, I've been finding DVDs in the Dollar Tree/Family Dollar/99 Cent stores. They mostly are TV series from the late '40s to the early '60s, with some old Westerns & Cartoons thrown in. I've found 4 different DVDs of one of my favorite old TV shows, "the Burns & Allen Show," Martin & Lewis' "At War with the Army," "Superman" cartoons from the '40s, and the original L. Frank Baum directed "His Majesty, the Scarecrow of Oz" Silent from 1914!

Also I've seen several DVDs each of "Bonanza" (The older, black & white shows), "Make Room for Daddy," "Ozzie & Harriet," "the Lucy Show," the "Flash Gordon" TV show, "The 'New' Three Stooges" cartoons, various '50s & '60s Westerns, '70s Chop-Socky & Blaxploitation flicks, and '80s "Angry White Guy on a Rampage" movies.

The DVDs come in a cardboard envelope & have minimal, home-made looking menus that you have to use the arrow keys to go from one episode to the next. Many of the movies are also available for 5 to 10 times the price in video stores.

T
thejab posted on Fri, Oct 1, 2004 3:19 PM

In NoCal I found some film noir including "D.O.A." and "Borderline" with Fred MacMurray. There's also some really classic old cartoons like RKO Van Beuren Tom & Jerry (c1931-1933).

I got Frank Sinatra in "Suddenly" at my local dollar store, great movie! I also got Road to Bali and the 39 Steps. They are selling lots of vintage horror DVDs these days, at ye old dollar store, for Halloween.

Wal-Marts in the midwest have these too. They seem to sell very quickly.

Pages: 1 3 replies