Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Marketplace

eBay: Is this real?,,,A BLUE Tiki Bob's style mug?

Pages: 1 9 replies

K

Hi, I searched in the archives and found no references for a blue Tiki Bob's style mug. Is this real? Anyone know the story behind this? Where it's from? I figure if "dansknowstikis" is bidding on it, it must be real(?) and not painted?.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=29460&item=3933357088&rd=1

[ Edited by: Kalikiana on 2004-10-01 21:30 ]

[ Edited by: Kalikiana on 2004-10-01 22:04 ]

Keep in mind it may be worth nothing, except that it's blue. Danlovestiki's investment of a $15 is like an investment of urine to your or me...

T

I have seen a few of these in various colors pop up and around New Orleans. A close friend described 2 of them in a shop on Magazine St. recently. I personally have never bought one as they are usually kind of high in price. No names on them or anything else. Its almost as if at one point the mold must have been available for artists for personal use.

B

There have been unmarked Tiki Bob style mugs in assorted colors that have turned up from time to time. They look like home ceramics and bear no restaurant name. They are funky little novelties, but not real Bobs.

Check out Tiki Quest at http://www.pegboardchicago.com/TCintro.html
Tiki Central members get a discount and a special premium!

[ Edited by: boutiki on 2004-10-02 09:01 ]

M

Almost certainly a hobbyist mug. I have a brown hobbyist Bob myself.

S
Swanky posted on Sat, Oct 2, 2004 1:37 PM

Or they might be samples that were sent to various places hoping to get orders for them in those colors. I saw it and was excited for a moment thinking it was from the "Blue Hawaii" in Nashville. :(

...or, since so many are found in New Orleans, they might be a late variation by the Bali Hai at Lake Pontchartrain, the only other establishment (other than Elvis' Blue Hawaii PR mug) that used the Bob as cocktail vessels. It might be interesting to see if they match the slightly larger size from the Bali Hai...(then again, if they are from the 70s, they might be smaller for that reason.)

I do not discount the hobby craft theory, but this blue one is made quite professionally looking, and if there are that many of them out there..?

M

"I do not discount the hobby craft theory, but this blue one is made quite professionally looking, and if there are that many of them out there..? "

My take is a home hobbyist. It would be nice to see the "panel" on the side, but even without that info I'd guess this was done a non-commercial basis. For some unknown reason, many Tiki Bob style mugs were made by amateur ceramic makers in the greater New Orleans area. I once came across a set of them made there by one guy, must have been eight or more mugs. He had placed the names of his family and close friends on the side, and had "guest" on others. They were done in a variety of colors. All were well done, quality work.

HRT

I didnt know that danlovestikis has Blue urine...

that is almost definitely a hobbyist mug.. i saw quite a few out in the new orleans area.. and when i asked the shopkeeper she told me that a friend of hers uses an old mold (or reproduced one from an original bali hai) to recreate them with different colors.. i picked one up in a rather disgusting peach color.. ughh.. i sort of regret it now.. tiki meets country crafts

Pages: 1 9 replies