Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

psychic tv / ptv3 tour dates

Pages: 1 6 replies

H

I'm under the impression that there is at least one other person on Tiki Central that would be interested in seeing Psychic TV. This is the third incarnation and is billed as PTV3.

Although some of the dates have already passed, I am listing all of them in order to keep the list complete.

PSYCHIC TV / PTV3 AUTUMN 2004 TOUR DATES

EUROPE

Sat Sept 18 Underground, Cologne, Germany
Sun Sept 19 Patronaat, Haarlem, The Netherlands
Mon Sept 20 Hafenklang Hamburg, Germany
Tue Sept 21 Vega, Copenhagen, Denmark
Wed Sept 22 John Dee, Oslo, Norway
Fri Sept 24 Volsbuehne, Berlin, Germany
Sat Sept 25 St. John's Church, Gdansk, Poland
Sun Sept 26 Proxima, Warsaw, Poland
Tue Sept 28 Dominion Club, Leipzig, Germany
Wed Sept 29 Abaton, Prague, Czech Republic
Thu Sept 30 Monastery, Vienna, Austria
Fri Oct 01 Mocvara, Zagreb, Croatia
Sat Oct 02 Ministry, Firenze, Italy
Sun Oct 03 Supermarket, Turino, Italy
Mon Oct 04 Bad Bonn, Duedingen, Switzerland
Tue Oct 05 La Maroquinerie, Paris, France
Wed Oct 06 CC Luchtbal, Antwerp, Belgium
Fri Oct 08 Sa Bandeira, Porto, Portugal
Sat Oct 09 The Forum, London, UK
Sun Oct 10 Gagarin 205 Club, Athens, Greece
Wed Oct 13 Port Club, St. Petersburg, Russia
Thu Oct 14 The Apelsin Club, Moscow, Russia

USA

Tue Nov 02
Knitting Factory
7021 Hollywood Blvd
Hollywood, CA 90028
323-463-0204
Support: Babyland
$20 adv/ $25 dos

Wed Nov 03
DNA Lounge
375 11th Street
San Francisco, CA 94103
415-626-6031
Support: I Am Spoonbender 1.1.1
$20 adv/ $25 dos

Fri Nov 05
Sabala’s
4811 SE Hawthorne
Portland, OR 97215
503-238-1646
Support: Dreams in Exile
$15 adv / $18 dos

Sat Nov 06
Chop Suey
1325 East Madison
Seattle, WA 98122
206-324-8000
$15 adv / $18 dos

Wed Nov 17
Café Campus
57 Prince-Arthur East
Montreal
514-844-3442
$23.50

Thu Nov 18
Fun Haus
640 Queen St West
Toronto
416-598-0720
$17.50 adv / $20 dos

Fri Nov 19
Empty Bottle
1035 N. Western Ave
Chicago
773-276-3600
Support: Wolf Eyes
$18 adv/ $23 dos

Sat Nov 20
Majic Stick
4120 Woodward Ave
Detroit
313-833-9700
Support: Wolf Eyes
$15adv/ $20 dos

I might be that person.

Good to know they are still around. I saw them once before in the bay area in the mid80s.

Hopefully Chris&Cosey will open for them.

Along similar lines, Throbbing Gristle will be playing in the UK in December.

"THE NIGHTMARE BEFORE CHRISTMAS
THROBBING GRISTLE will be performing live
at the Chapman brothers curated Camber Sands weekend, December 3 - 5 2004."

http://www.atpfestival.com/events/line_up.php?event=13

I went to a Shellac curated weekend at the same place a couple of years back, and it seems that those who made the effort to get to it from the US felt it was worth it.

Trader Woody

T

On an equally similar note, Ministry is coming around. (in my town on Oct 21st.) Then 2 weeks later, Skinny Puppy and KMFDM are playing the same venue in the same week.

H

Yeah, a Chris and Cosey opening would be great. But unfortunately that is not the case. For LA the opening act is Babyland.

Yes Throbbing Gristle in December! Unfortunately I'll have to miss that one, but I did fly out to London last May for their reunion gig at the Astoria. It was a phenomenal show and the LOUDEST show I've ever witnessed (second place goes to My Bloody Valentine). The bass emanations were so powerful it seemed like they were keeping you suspended in the air. My hair was literally blowing in the wind. Mind you I was in the center of the hall too, not next to a bass bin. Nevertheless, anybody that has the least bit of curiosity about true Industrial Music should make an effort to see Throbbing Gristle. They are after all the one's that started and named the genre.

Here's a review of the TG astoria show:
http://musicfortorching.blogspot.com/archives/2004_05_01_musicfortorching_archive.html

Here's an excerpt:

Things take a bit of time to warm up, due to faulty equipment. Soon enough though, a sonic force field is emitted from the PA. The face crushing loudness is made up of heavy computer generated bass tones that vibrate and oscillate making the fabric of the building creak and groan in protest. Mr P. Orridge appears to be torn between maintaining an ironic anti-nostalgia position to the whole thing, or whether to just let rip and freak out.

Lyric pages are disdainfully flipped thorough and displayed as iconic fetishes, Genesis utilises dismissive effeminate hand flourishes like he's just popped out to the nail parlour for a buff and polish. He tousles his Brian Jones hairdo and seems like he is trying to connect with the situation he's found himself in. It certainly feels like an evocation is being attempted.

The grinding, looping drones build and build towards a dread embedded Höllenspektakel as Cosey adds sharp edged skronks from death-trumpet.

Meanwhile Mr P Orridge attacks his bass guitar with a bottle and the other two members increase the pressure by throwing in found sounds, and alarming white noise filter sweeps. As is the way, the venue is extremely hot, a DVD is being filmed, and we are all lit up with strong spotlights.

I have to confess to being rather disappointed that the TG gang were just doing a set of old songs and wondered how this was any different to say a Sex Pistols reunion or Showaddwaddy at Pontins. Cynic that I am, I wondered if they really had just done it to test out brand awareness and future marketing opportunities. Then about three songs in, the whole thing clicked into place and it was really like watching a mutant toxic-funk band with Gen as the anti-James Brown.

The four members of TG syncopate together and generate a lovely tribal squelch of a sound that was pulsing and alive and also situated at the heart of an over populated, over polluted, post-superstate Exxon world. Compulsive, ugly and sickly, the spectacle was also glittering, pretty and engaging. And I think it was this combination that really kicked Gen into touch as he launched himself off into another place and became this compelling hybrid of Dusty Springfield, Iggy, and Disco Dave.

The young person next to me screams "This is Fucking Beautiful" and I wonder if that's the point. Meanwhile a Japanese American woman dances with a tiny stuffed rabbit (dunno if it was the boogaloo or not), two Germans put in earplugs, and someone else gets their tits out. People sway in psych ward trances and it all gets very intense for 90 shape-shifting, brain crunching minutes.

... Genesis P Orridge pulls a truly demonically physical performance from somewhere within himself and in some ways it's what I imagine multiple personality disorder is like: he's howling and twisting and shouting. Everything feeds back in on itself and fragments outwards simultaneously. Sweat, scars and feverish mania threaten to explode into violence as the shamanistic boundaries of immersive noise are pushed to a point of collapse. Then the energy ebbs away and the "show" comes to an end. A masterful exercise in control.

So, I arrived, I saw TG, I endured, I survived.

My final thoughts as I left were a) I'm glad I did that, and b) Genesis for Prime Minister.

http://www.throbbing-gristle.com/

[ Edited by: Hakalugi 2005-07-22 06:54 ]

Chris and Cosey will be performing at Redcat on Friday night, although I understand tickets are tight.

On 2005-02-24 19:30, christiki295 wrote:
Chris and Cosey will be performing at Redcat on Friday night, although I understand tickets are tight.

I had heard that it was sold out. Fortunately I already have my tix. :)

If any of you Tiki Centralites are going, look for me and say hi. I should be easy to spot, I'll be wearing a lampshade over my head.

Pages: 1 6 replies