Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

The fish that got away, and still taunts you today.

Pages: 1 11 replies

I was wondering if anyone else has a story or memory that bugs them often enough it causes an emotional response everytime they think about it. Collecting wise; I had the chance to buy a Mauna Loa bamboo bird mug(tiki quest pg.46), but didn't because I didn't have a clue about it's past, and when I did decide to get it a few days later(still not knowing what it was), it was of course gone. Regular life; I am still haunted by the fact that I never got to see the Ramones. Rock and Roll!

20 or so years ago, I came across a guy selling cartoon cels. Many of them were priced a $10. Everything from Hanna Barbara to Disney to Warner Bros., etc. I was 18. Money was tight. I passed.

If I could set time back, I would empty my measley bank account, buy the entire box, and wait the two years when cels hit the market bigtime.

Good topic Mike,
I passed on seeing Joe DiMaggio at a sports memorabillia show, cash was tight... He died aboout a year later.
Fortunately, I did get to see the Ramones several times, but I always wish I had seen The Man in Black.
Aloha,
:tiki:

[ Edited by: tiki royale on 2004-10-02 23:16 ]

M

Yes, this is a good topic for discussion. I was lucky to acquire two of those Mauna Loa mugs by sheer luck. That was one of our better scores. On the other side of the coin, I once had the chance to get a 3-4 foot tiki that was allegedly from the Luau. It looked good/authentic, but I was hesitant about the provenance. Missed out.

Then there was this Witco coffee table in San Francisco, for sale at like $50...

Relatedly, ever saw The Ramones, did catch the Clash.

T

I still regret to this very day, that I read this thread...

M

I regret the day that I passed on choosing the name "Tiki Bong" here and when I returned to TC again, the name had already been taken.

Somethings you just never get over......

TM

passed on a '63 Valiant in mint condition, 60,000 original miles for $500 about 15 years ago. Still makes me cringe.

I regret that I wasn't born as my older brother. He saw both Jimi Hendrix and Jim Morrison and Arthur Brown who sang "Fire" with his hair on fire, all in the same concert.....I think.......maybe......

[ Edited by: Jungle Trader on 2004-10-03 10:42 ]

Tiki Matt

Was it one of those swank models with the fake tire on the trunk, and the push button automatic?

I have a similar experiance with a Studebaker Hawk, only it was free...jezus...now I'm in a bad mood.

On 2004-10-02 21:06, Tiki_Bong wrote:
I still regret to this very day, that I read this thread...

Holy shit, you kill me. I think I'm your #1 fan. Please assult and insult more people. Hell insult me if you like. It cracks me up.

Bong is the combination of Don Rickles and Timothy Leary of TC. I'm hoisting one to Bong tonite. Cheers to another crazy b*%$@&*.

T

great topic!

man, i have way TOO many!! this one ended well though. i was going to school at USC in the late 80s. i used to hit the local thrift stores practically every day (tiki was plentiful back then!). one day, i was at St. Vincent De Paul's and in the 'appliance room', there was a beautiful BUCKAROO pinball machine. its the one you see in the Who's Tommy, during Pinball Wizard. its a western theme where there's really cool, dimensional animation in the backglass. every 100 points, the bucking bronco kicks the cowboy in the ass@! i couldn't believe it! to see that anywhere was cool, but at a thrift store?! it's basically one of your orgazmatron thrift store fantasies..

anyhow, as a college student, i didn't have the 300 clams they wanted for it but i was desperate! i went to a couple of friends and was able to secure the dough within an hour. of course, by the time i got back, some hipster had already bought it! bastard from hell! for years, that haunted my existence!

about six years ago, i ran across a dealer at swap meet who had a beat up pinball machine for sale. i wasn't interested, but when i told him about the Buckaroo i had missed years before, he told me about a friend who had one fully restored for sale. turns out, that the one he was selling was purchased from a thrift store at one point! man, i was gonna have that even if i had to sell my cat and turn out my mom for tricks.

well...

needless to say, i have a new cat and my mom is still workin it!! :wink:

[ Edited by: tiki1963 on 2004-10-05 23:26 ]

[ Edited by: tiki1963 on 2004-10-05 23:28 ]

[ Edited by: tiki1963 on 2004-10-06 00:20 ]

Pages: 1 11 replies