Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Ready to start my 1st!-Advice for beechwood??

Pages: 1 14 replies

Hello all, first off, just want to say this place is awesome.
Well, I'm ready to lose my tiki virginity. Just received a massive 2 tools via Lee Valley. I" bent gouge & 3/8" parting, and already have a cheap chisel. I'm loaded huh.
I came across fresh cut Beech tree. The bark peels off easily...any carving suggestions on this wood?

Any, and all advice deeply appreciated...I've found no one locally with knowledge.

"remove anything that doesn't look like a Tiki"
-Benzart

B

McDougall took the words right out of my mouth.
Beech should carve well.
Get a Marker, crayon or large pencil and Draw out what you want to carve and then just start chipping away. just don't get too intricate on the first one and you will be OK.
Don't forget to take lots of Pictures. We can't wait to see them.
Good luck.

I'm sure it varies by wood, but in this case, how long do I have before the wood dries up?

B

As beechwood dries it gets better to carve so you have a long time. It won't "Dry up" as in palm wood and then desintegrate. It dries up and is cured.

You guys make it look soooo easy! Anyway, here's where I got to, before I stopped to order more tools. 1" gouger is too big, need smaller for this little piece of wood. Going away for the weekend, so I can't work on it any...crap!
Thanks for the input!

the biggest problem i have had with beech is it cracs like hell. i dont use it any more. the ones i have done, nearly cracked in half. shame, it does carve up nice.

You're absolutely right Chisel slinger. I came home, and BAM... it had a full split in it. Waste of time on that. 1st one...sob, sob. So what's an easy wood to obtain in the northeast?

pretty much any wood you can find laying around, as long as it's not that beechwood. also check for bugs.those can also ruin a good carving. best bet is wood aged with the bark on. less cracking if its dry. but dont worry too much about cracks, you can color them in with a dark stain. even tiki paintings have cracks.

well, I'm continuing to carve this cracked thing.
I'm wondering if there is anything I can do to fill in the crack...glue...glue with sawdust, wood filler. If I leave it, it'll probably crack in two.

I'd say complete it & use it for experimenting on for burning, staining and other aging techniques, then the crack will fit in with the weathered look of the tiki.

B

Let it Crack. Thats great for a first or even for a 5th or more. I gotta hang around more to keep up with all you new carvers. You are doing really well. If you try to fill the crack, it will Always look patched. I'd say Freddiefree hit the nail on the head. the finish will help make it look weathered and old. People Look for that look.

I have to say, Benzart, you rock. You give such complimentary advice, to everybody, it keeps everyone stoked. I used to live in your neck of the woods, Jupiter. Boy do I wish I was into this when I was down there. Ohhhh, all the palms. I drove today for 3 hours to a wood supplier, with minimal luck. Got some small pieces of basswood, that's it... only 4" wide. I have to search for sawmills.
I may come down to FL this winter, maybe I should bring back a few logs!
-mahalo

Hi S'nT,

That Marquesan fella's lookin' pretty cool. Unless you really think it's gonna crack in half, my vote is just finish it. Kind of a judgement call. I think the concensus is that cracked tikis look pretty cool, even if unintended. Either way, I'm looking forward to your first tiki unveiled here at TC. Good luck, good carving!

A-A

Thanks AA.

Pages: 1 14 replies