Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

tiki tv trays

Pages: 1 8 replies

Hey, folks. I only recently signed up for the boards here and was really excited to see that other people were making tiki stuff today. I'd had this idea for a while to make my plain old, Target-purchased TV trays into something tikified, and seeing what you've been up to sort of inspired me to hop to it.

I'm using a wood burning pen to carve in tikis and tiki-inspired designs into the four TV trays that my roommate and I use on a regular basis and I thought I'd show you my progress as they come along. I only started working on them this weekend, but am really doing well on this first one so far. Whatcha think?

http://www.spacemonkeyx.com/rob/tiki-tray.jpg
http://www.spacemonkeyx.com/rob/tiki-tray1.jpg

[ Edited by: SpaceMonkeyX on 2004-10-03 23:41 ]

H

Keep your day job.

Just Kidding! Just Kidding!! :)

The TV tray looks great! Now you've got me eyeballing my TV trays with thoughts of tiki embellishments.

Please post more pics as you complete all of the trays.

By the way, your Wal-Mart story on your website is great! a very fun read.

K
Kanaka posted on Mon, Oct 4, 2004 6:19 AM

Looks great SpaceMonkeyX!!! Keep posting updates!

Kanaka

On 2004-10-03 23:40, SpaceMonkeyX wrote:

What a great idea! Love to see how they come out. Post more.

Thanks for the kind words, guys! I'm hoping to finish up this first one this weekend, but we'll see how things develop. I'll keep you posted.

I got a little bit more done this weekend.

Oh, and I got the triangle design finished on the other leg as well.

Now let me ask you guys for some advice:

My original design idea had a bamboo border around the whole thing, but I decided not to do that. However, that seems to have left the tiki a little bit too far to the center now. As you can see, I have penciled in a rough palm tree design to the left of the tiki. Do you think that will help even out the design a little? Or does it look ok as is?

[ Edited by: SpaceMonkeyX on 2004-10-10 22:54 ]

Honestly, I think it needs some sort of border. If not the bamboo, maybe consider the triangle pattern on the top and sides of the tray.

S

Ditto yumyumkid.

Thanks for the feedback, guys! I'll rough something in in the next few days and see how it looks.

Pages: 1 8 replies