Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

Jeanne takes toll on Billy Mure

Pages: 1 6 replies

I finally heard from Billy Mure yesterday after several phone calls and messages back and forth. Hurricane Jeanne roared through Sebastian, FL and I've been worried since.

It seems as though a tree that fell in the neighborhood was lifted by the winds and plowed right through the front doors of Billy's house. Everything was damaged in the central portion of the home. He said the insurance adjustors were there almost immediately and the water soaked furntiture, glass and debris was removed in the next couple of days after the storm. It is now liveable. He said the roof stayed intact and there was no damage to the roof. His studio only received minor flood damage as it sits to the side of the home.

I just have to say what an honor it was to have him at Hukilau this year. He had a blast and said it was the best time! He especially enjoyed the Tikki Beach cruise and the conga line that he started - both times!!

If anyone would like his address to send a hello just send me a private message or email.

I have to say that seeing him and his partner play was one of the highlights of Hukilau for me.

I could see this overwhelming joy in his eyes. Could you imagine what it must have been like after all these years to all the sudden have a new generation of fans.

A+ A+

the 2 times i got goose bumps at hukilau from being in such awe was watching mr. mure play friday night, and watching the hula hands dance at the mai kai on saturday, both were mindblowing to me.....

Billy is the best! It was so great to see him in person. He's still got it.

S
Swanky posted on Mon, Oct 4, 2004 5:12 PM

Hearing about Billy's house gave me a nightmare last night. Glad it wasn't a total loss.

They are some of the nicest and most talented folks you'll ever meet.

I am glad to hear both Billy and Debbie are OK. That was a mighty big storm and my thoughts go out to them. I have pictures that I am going to send them soon. Tiki Kaliki and Swanky I want to personally thank you for giving me the opportunity to introduce and meet Billy Mure and Debbie Murphy over the Hukilau weekend. It was a memorable experience that I will never forget. I actually made pretty good friends with Billy. He is one of the nicest persons around and he is so full of musical knowledge. I hope we can bring him back next year. "Hint,Hint"

T

Glad to hear Mr. Mure is OK though I do feel bad for his troubles.

Hearing him play was very inspiring to me personally - too often, I find myself getting bummed out by the non-musical aspects of being a musican. To see someone like Billy who obviously has keep things in proper perspective - love the music first and foremost and never lose that passion - was nothing short of a wakeup call to this geetar picker.

Pre-show comparisons to Les Paul proved to be apt. Billy has still got that "thing," the touch and tone that elevates a mere "guitar player" to the ranks of "Guitarist." Very tasty stuff and I'm so glad I got to hear/see it firsthand and to express my appreciation to Billy personally.

Hey - maybe next year, he could do a guitar clinic ...?

Pages: 1 6 replies