Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

"The Great Tiki Drink Book"

Pages: 1 11 replies

I was just on Amazon and saw just what the world needs: Another tropical drinks book. "The Great Tiki Drink Book" by Jennifer Trainer Thompson (author of "The Great Hot Sauce Book". She sounds like a great author.) was supposedly published March 2002. Has this been mentioned here before? Has anyone seen it? And why the hell are there no tikis on the cover of a book with "Tiki" in its title? There are, instead, some toy sharks strewn about the base of the covercocktail, which has some sort of swordfish stuck in it and has no paper umbrella or flames rising from it...I have my doubts about this book.

i have the "Tiki Drinks" calendar ~ and.. there's ONE tiki mug in it (Bob Lee's Islander) ~ in the background of the October picture is a nicely carved tiki pumpkin...but that's about it! there is a tropical drink featured each month ~ aand she credits Trader Vic's as the originator of the Mai Tai.

This just in from the Canadian media:
Researcher finds link between alcohol intake and wealth

A university professor has found on average the more people drink, the more they earn.

Professor Chris Auld says his research confirms the so-called alcohol-income puzzle.

His research shows people found to drink more than average are also more likely to be successful and earn more.

The economics don at the University of Calgary in Canada has just been given more funding to research the alcohol link to earnings.

He says reasons behind the correlation could be stress of a high-paying job driving people to drink or that more sociable people are more likely to achieve career success.

The findings should not be construed as an excuse to drink your way up the ladder, adds Prof Auld.

"The puzzle is why are we finding this," he told the Calgary Sun.

He jokes his extra funding will allow him to "buy more rounds at the bar".

I mentioned it a while back, but it doesn't look like the sort of book that could really penetrate into anyone's consciousness. It looks like it could be classified alongside the "Rum & Tiki Cookbook" by W Park Kerr (Or W An Ker as I like to call him, ho ho) or that dreadful book of Tiki Drinks that was saved from instantly being bargain binned by the addition of a few old Shag prints.

For classic guides to Tiki drinks get hold of the Grog Log or 1 or 2 old Trader Vic's guides....then you're sorted.

Trader Woody

K

Just wondering if anyone has an opinion about "Tropical Cocktails" from Abbeville Press.

~Kelly

Just curious as if she is one of the original (forgive me if I'm wrong Hanford) co-founders of TikiCentral, whom I believe was named Jennifer Thompson!?

Sorry I missed this thread when it first came up.

Somone just got me the Great Tiki Drink Book. I can't vouch for the drink recipes as I'm not an expert in this subject... but overall the book looks swell.

It has about 8 pages of Tiki history; I haven't read it yet but it's got photos of Hinky Dinks and Trader Vics, as well as a shot of Taboo Cove. Scattered throughout the book are other old photos.

In the back there's a "Resources" section that includes mention of Bosko and Munktiki, and of course Tiki News and the BoT.

And it's NOT the same Jennifer Thompson who co-founded Tiki Central with me.

Anyway, I'll post a full review here sometime soon.

Untill then here's a tikiroom link to in on Amazon:
The Great Tiki Book

~Hanford

Does anyone else have this book. Woof...

Don't look for it, I would go for Trader Woody's assessment above. A cook book author was looking for something "quirky" to do next. Definitely one of those train jumpers' books that use the the term Tiki for anything tropical under the sun.

D
dcman posted on Sat, Mar 3, 2012 6:53 AM

I dig the fact that it isn't authentic tiki, but I've gotten a few recipes out of it that have worked at my home bar. The Bum is clearly the best. If you're looking for serious, you won't get it, but I found it worth the cost.

dcman

A

I agree that the drink recipes aren't great, but the appetizers featured in the book are really good.

Maybe just get it for some tidbits to eat....

Anestiki

In light of what I know now, I'm a tad embarrassed to own this book. But it WAS my gateway drug to Tiki drinks and we can't disparage anything that leads us here.

Pages: 1 11 replies