Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Outrigger in Sun Valley????

Pages: 1 14 replies

M

I was driving on Laurel Canyon through Sun Valley today when I saw the Outrigger Bar on Laurel Canyon and I5. I looked this up on yahoo, http://maps.yahoo.com/py/maps.py?Pyt=Typ&name=Outrigger&desc=(818)+768-9410&csz=Sun+Valley+CA+91352&country=us&mag=8&cs=9&ed=ZOPBw6160Syw8BtF2NQZFpwNXTxVKFAmqBGmHL8iH7UE8wClLUN8p.BSZF.j3awIokTxmbw- , and it gave me a different adress. The billboard had a huge painted outrigger going thru a wave. I was on my way to a meeting, so I could not stop. Has anyone seen, been, or heard anything about this place? It is a pretty hardcore industrial area.

wow! don't now about it. will try to investigate after the 16th... unless someone else goes sluething b4 then...

K

I tried calling them at all hours but no answer - maybe they are closed. Sounds like a great place. Any update from anyone?

Hmmmm. I too drove past this joint but it was 6 am and I usually don't start drinkin till 7:30 am. I know this is an old post, but nobody seems to have followed up on it. The sign looks very cool and vintage-like. It certainly looks like the real deal, although how could a neato joint like this get past the masses here at TC? It's probably just your basic "Tecate Bar" with a cool old sign. BUT, it could be a real cool place that just slipped through the cracks. Can anybody in the area check it out and report back to the masses?

T

Hmmm! I actually live off Wentworth (but a ways back in Sunland) - I'll be out of town for a few days - but will happily check it out upon my return. I've never ever seen a sign for this thing - don't know how I could miss something like that!

Yeah, please check it out for us. It's just north of Sheldon on Laurel Cyn, on the west side of street.

T
TikiG posted on Thu, Jan 22, 2009 3:01 PM

Bump..

Anyone do research on this place?

I talked to a co-worker who lives near this place..he says the bar is a no frills "beer only" kinda dive.

Just curious as usual.

I stopped in while driving by one day while out with my family. Beer and no frills, oh an no tiki.

Tiki Diablo is correct, no Tiki, nothing tropical with fake brick on the inside.

Three drinks later -

T

What a great sign tho'. Something tells me that this place had a tiki thing going on at some point in the distant past.

That sign makes me think it's been there almost as long as the Tonga Hut.

Maybe some archaeological digging will lead to an answer. Ask the bartender or owners, perhaps.

Jim, .....really?

The only thing tiki about that place is the sign (which is very cool). I made the mistake of stopping in several months ago. I walked in, looked around and left without having a drink. Too bad, I was hoping for another tiki watering hole in the valley.

Has the Outrigger in Sun Valley closed down? Just got a new sign maybe? The old sign appears to have a new home at The San Fernando Valley Relics Museum in Chatsworth.

Here's a story with a link to the Museum:

http://thelosangelesbeat.com/2014/12/offbeat-l-a-like-totally-rad-the-san-fernando-valley-relics-museum-in-chatsworth/

Well I thought I had posted about this place but I was wrong. There had been another photo on the web of the sign in their storeroom before it was relit which had me do a little investigating. The original location on Laurel Canyon was cited for serving minors the owner/bartender then relocated the biz, don't know if she took the sign to the new location, then was repeatedly cited for over serving, drinking while bartending and selling shots of booze though her license was only for beer and wine. The Outrigger lost it's license and is closed (well according to the web anyway).

[ Edited by: tikicoma 2015-05-26 23:15 ]

Thanks for the research, Tikicoma.

Pages: 1 14 replies