Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Who likes psychobilly?!

Pages: 1 39 replies

I've been a big fan of Tiger Army, Rev Horton Heat and The Nekromantix for a while now, but just recently decided to venture out of the psychobilly mainstream and start looking for other bands that aren't available from Epitaph or the majors.

I was wondering if there are any other psychobilly fans out there who can suggest some good albums for me to pick up. I just ordered The Meteors "From Zorch", and was considering the Sharks. Any other suggestions?

-g-

btw: a new psychobilly store just opened up by my house in South Orange, NJ, in case any fans were looking for some new threads. It's called Street Rock.

don't think they would be deemed psychobilly....but anyone into rockabilly
should dig the blasters....just about
the best good ole rockin' band you could
imagine!

I just picked up the "Horror Pops" CD, it has a few of the guys from The Nekromantix. Gal lead singer, I like it. It is tough to beat the Rev though, especially when it comes to a live show.

S

I agree the rev and tiger army are great and put on good shows, especially if the rev is sober. You may wanna check out the amazing royal crowns or southern culture on the skids.

I completely forgot about the Amazing Royal Crowns. I actually own a few of their CDs. I have the Horrorpops record, but it reminds me a bit too much of a rock-a-billy version of No Doubt. I might just give it a few more spins though.

-g-

BB

Dirt Track Date by Southern Culture on the Skids is a classic.

M

I'm not sure if you'd consider these guys psychobilly... I've heard them referred to as Cow Punk, but I LOVE "Cowboy Mouth" and the "Old 97's". I personally would put them in the same catagory as Southern Culture on the Skids

My favorite albums of theirs are:
Cowboy Mouth - Are You with Me?
Old 97's - Satellite Rides

[ Edited by: MachTiki on 2004-10-05 15:34 ]

Try listening to Guana Batz. They're one of the original bands from the 80's and are still around today. Cool jams without a lot of silly lyrics. Others to check out: Meteors, Nekromantix (1st two albums), Mad Sin, Frantic Flintstones. There are usually a lot of Psycho gigs around Halloween time too.

Guana Batz - held down at last is a great album.
The Krewmen's first 2 albums are great too.
Also worth getting are the compliations from Klub Foot and the Blood on the Pussies.

Being a upright rockabilly slap bassist I never got to much into the psychobilly end of it. I do like the Rev. Horton Heat. I'm more of a straight ahead traditional player. However, I was always impressed by the speed of which the psychobilly bassists play at. Crazy.

I like my psychobilly like I like my bourbon...aged 25 years and straight up. Here's to the CRAMPS! Ahhhh...smooth.

C

King Kurt was a pretty fun band that played around in the 80's. They used to bring bags of flour and throw it all over the audience. A bunch of lunatics. Here is a pretty good link to a bunch of Psychobilly stuff:

http://www.wreckingpit.com/psycho/bands/kingkurt.php3

Shipwreck- good call with the cramps. Those freaks are Zombie royalty.
The meteor were pretty damn cool too. Nothing beats a good Pschobilly hairdoo!

Chongolio

-- I believe that our Heavenly Father invented the monkey because he was disappointed in man."
... Mark Twain

Come explore http://www.lost-isle.com

[ Edited by: Chongolio on 2004-10-06 20:38 ]

I went to see King Kurt a cople of weeks ago, they've calmed down a fair bit though.
A friend of mine Mike Decay in NY has produced a documentry called "Psychobilly- A Cancer on Rock and Roll". I'm not sure if its out on release yet as I know he was looking for a distributor but its a good history of the Genre starting with the interviews with all the old Eighties bands and compring them with the new wave like Tiger Army and the Horror Pops.
As far as the US goes you can't beat Hasil Adkins the only man who can produce a whole album with songs about chicken (Poultry in Motion)

On 2004-10-07 03:11, cheekytiki wrote:

As far as the US goes you can't beat Hasil Adkins the only man who can produce a whole album with songs about chicken (Poultry in Motion)

And the only man I know who recorded a record onto cardboard and then thought that it was good enough to release!

There's always San Diego's own Deadbolt.

When I think Psychobilly, I think the Cramps. They're simply one of my faves, and tie-in to Tiki quite well at times (see songs like Kizmiaz, for example).

I'm also a huge fan of Deadbolt. Again, they tie in with tiki with their song/album Tiki Man

On 2004-10-06 20:38, Chongolio wrote:
Those freaks are Zombie royalty.

Yeah, I was so disappointed when the late Bryan Gregory left the band after Songs The Lord Taught Us. I always loved his evil voodoo witchdoctor look and stage demeanor. Probably the main reason I got Live At The Napa State Mental Hospital. Congo Powers took his place on Psychedelic Jungle.

Yeah, I here ya SWJ, Songs the lord taught us is one my favorite albums by them. There is some Cramp tabalature at that site I linked to in my previous post.

The Cramps are coming up to Santa Cruz soon. I may have to bust out my black Hawaiian shirt and Benz shrunken head necklace and catch that show. Shoot, I may have to get me a jar of dep and get my psychobilly on.
Dig Deadbolt too. Though I have only heard a handful of tunes by them. Mogambo, Jackals of LA, and some crazy trucker song Red something.
Not Psychobilly but a hell of lot of fun is Deke Dickerson and Untamed Youth.

Chongolio

-- I believe that our Heavenly Father invented the monkey because he was disappointed in man."
... Mark Twain

Come explore http://www.lost-isle.com

[ Edited by: Chongolio on 2004-10-09 22:01 ]

I just received a record by the Legendary Shack Shakers, and while not totally Psychobilly, this is a pretty cool collection of cow punk tunes.

-g-

Chongolio, Deadbolt has been around awhile. I remember seeing them at the SOMA New Year's Eve party at the San Diego Sports Arena in about 1995. Soma is an "all ages" venue but they have about four "over 21 lounges" set up around the arena and that's where I caught Deadbolt. Harley Davidson's idea of on-stage pyrotechniques is taking a skilsaw to a mikestand! Loved their show. My favorite Deadbolt CD is "Tijuana Hit Squad".

T

I'm a huge fan of Rev Horton. I have most of their CD's and I like their newest one. It's got a good mix of tunes. The Hillbilly Hellcats are pretty awesome too. I'm also a huge Brian Setzer fan. Some of the newer stuff he's come out with is definitely more rockabilly than it was with his orchestra.

I must say that as a whole, I haven't been a fan of Psycobilly music. That's all changed now.

The Hillbilly Hellcats are indeed a gem. They have melody in their songs and sound terrific. I've added several of their songs to my online broadcast.

But last night I was blown away by Tiger Army. They opened up for Social Distortion (great show!!!!!) and they were great. The lead singer had great presence and you could tell there were lots of people there to see them due to the sing alongs in the audience. As usual, the crowd got a little too rough for me so I moved upstairs. Social Distortion did an awesome job as usual!!

I'll be seeing Tiger ARmy/Social D on Thursday at The Roseland, NYC and The Cramps on Monday in NYC. I've never seen the Cramps before so I'm very excited. Social D and Tiger Army always put on a great show.

-g-

Start with the Guana Batz, original pure psychobilly. AND GET WRECKING!!!!

These are suggestions from someone who knows:

Hayride to Hell – They do a great cover of the theme from “The Munsters”. All around decent band that has released two cd’s and a demo tape that is still floating around out there. http://www.hayridetohell.com
The Spectres – a self-described punk-a-billy band from Seattle. Whatever they are, their music is really great. I especially dig the song “Satan’s Honky Tonk” of their new disc. They have three cd’s out, two that you can buy at http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/spectres03 . That site also has a place to listen to samples and read reviews from other psychobilly fans.
Los Gatos Locos – Another Seattle based band. Apparently something up there is really pissing people off considering how angry a lot of this stuff is. Personally, I love their new cd and listen to it when I get really angry and need to blow off steam. These guys definitely tap into the horror and violence that is common in more extreme psychobilly. In other words, think Misfits before you think RHH when looking for a comparison. The funny thing about them is that you will actually catch yourself singing along to songs like “Orgy of Blood and Guts” and “Somebody’s Gonna Get Their Head Kicked In”. Check ‘em out at http://seattlemusicweb.com/death/locos.html
Hellbillys – http://www.hellbillys.com Another band on the hardcore end. They play into that whole, “let’s show how evil we can be” schtick that can get a little tiring after a while, but their music is solid, anchored by the double bass play of Rock’N Rick.
I think someone mentioned The Horrorpops, but they are worth mentioning again. They are less into the evil show and more about the music. They are on a subsidiary label of Epitaph. The tunes are good, almost infectious at times. They also have go-go/burlesque dancers, which is always a plus. I bought their new disc a couple of weeks ago and really like it. http://www.horrorpops.com The website is well designed and has a link to a couple of videos they have shot.

There are also a lot of the more “mainstream” psychobilly bands including Tiger Army (who rocked last night in Atlanta!), Nekromantix, Demented Are Go!, Long Tall Texans, Mad Sin, The Quakes etc.

Last month, a psychobilly compilation came out called “Kicked Outta of Purgatory” that has 30 tracks or so from some really bands…it is a great place to start for people who are just getting into the genre.

Finally, the best website for psychobilly I have found is http://www.wreckingpit.com. Lots of album reviews and band info, even if some of the people who post are elitists with nothing better to do.

I too am fan of the Hillbilly Hellcats. Picked one of their CDs. I used to e-mail their bassist Lance Romance but I lost touch with him. He said that the band, at the time, couldn't tour because the guitarist wasn't allowed to leave the state{I think it was Colorado}. I wonder why.........???

So is anyone going to the Social D/Tiger Army show tonight in NYC 10/14? Besides me of course.

-g-

Dave (BK) and Swanky- What was the name of the band of the cd I never got to hear of the Contractor/ Partner? (Vern?) of Brad of Hale Tiki? Wasn't he in a band that got banned all over Georgia? Psychohillbilliedestructoness?

All I heard was that they tore shit up!! Sounded good to me, but never got to hear it.

When we were building, he (Vern?) the singer, downed a bottle of Crown Royal in one sitting/standing/working/night. He was a nutty little dude!!!

Who is PsychoBilly? A relitive of Crazy Al's? HA!HA!Ha,haaa.. Sorry...going back to my time out corner...

Hey tiki_kiliki,
On your recommendation, I checked out The Spectres...music sounds great. I've ordered their latest disk and it is currently on the way. Thanks for the heads up... good stuff.

B

The all time best Show I ever went to was a triple billing of The Amazing (Royal) Crowns, Los Straitjackets, & The Rev. Horton Heat. Like a dream come true.

I was in a rockabilly band through the 80's. then a psychobilly band in the 90's got on a couple comp. cd's (psycho rodeo). the rev. changed my way of thinking on guitar. he's the best. also love the hillbilly hellcats.

Outhouse Moan is Psychobilly and sports a member of TC.
http://www.outhousemoan.com

I love Deadbolt! Harley (lead singer)and Third Degree Burns are both tiki lovers too. I've seen Reverend Horton Heat so many times I had to take time away and detox. X's first albums were punk rock in swing-time, the Supersuckers kick some country rock ass and the Flat Duo Jets showed the White Stripes how to play with two people. The Beasts of Bourbon (out of Australia) album "The Axeman's Jazz" has the most amazing version of "Psycho". You can usually find this one on eBay for under $10.

"Unsigned" psychobilly bands that you can buy CDs directly from the bands and can hear them on "myspace"

BLAZING HALEY! They give the Rev a run for his money.

edited -- band has dis-banded since original post, but have a new band Graveside Robbers, listen to them here

and from Ventura

listen to The Deadbillys

http://www.deadbillys.com
ever heard the Misfits or Echo & the Bunnymen as psychoblly songs?

[ Edited by: stuff-o-rama 2005-10-14 15:07 ]

do you like Demented are go? probably one of the best psychobilly bands out there

FA

All I can say is check out Hogscraper! They rock.

Hogscraper? Is it psychobilly? Where are they from? Never heard of

On 2005-10-11 17:28, Fez Ape wrote:

FA

On 2005-10-12 04:59, turbosickboy wrote:
Hogscraper? Is it psychobilly? Where are they from? Never heard of

On 2005-10-11 17:28, Fez Ape wrote:

Check out Hogscraper.com

I was going to post some ideas here, but y'all seem to have it covered. :wink:

I guess you can say I am quite a Psychobilly fan. My license plate is CYKOBLY, only true fans get it...:)

haha... i totally agree!!!
ever been to the Calella psychobilly meeting? probably the best party in the world

On 2005-10-14 16:00, Cool Manchu wrote:
I was going to post some ideas here, but y'all seem to have it covered. :wink:

I guess you can say I am quite a Psychobilly fan. My license plate is CYKOBLY, only true fans get it...:)

Pages: 1 39 replies