Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Double sided tiki mug.

Pages: 1 3 replies

Y

Hey everyone! Just joined this forum. The reason I have come here is because I have carved my first tiki mug model for productoin and I want some oppinions/feedback on it. I am going to have a mold made after it is fired then start producing ASAP. Hopefully I will have some up on eBay very soon. Well here it is...

Cool design! Kind of reminds me of that scene in Indianna Jones when all the German soldiers' faces melt. I've never worked on anything mug related, but I'd love to see how you make a mold. Is the model from clay? You must do a step-by-step posting on this! Keep us posted.

A-A

Oh, and WELCOME TO TC!

Y

Thanks. It is a white clay, very smooth and clean to work with. Unfortunately I probally won't be making the mold myself. I have been interested in making tiki mugs ever since I began working with clay in high school which was 4 years ago. The only thing that was holding me back was I didn't know the mold making process. I recently purchased "The Clay Lover's Guide to Making Molds" by Peirce Clayton. It is a great moldmaking book but after I finished reading it I decided to have a mold outsourced on this design. One, I can only get the mold plaster in 50# quantities from my clay supplier(way to much) and two (the deciding factor,) if I get any of the plaster mixed into my clay it will ruin it and I'll have to clean my workspace top to bottom if it gets contaminated. Not enough room to work with plaster in the 2/2 apartment I rent. Most landlords would flip if they saw the pottery stuff I do in the extra bedroom! It's going to cost around $150 to have the mold made but I think it will be worth my while and investment. If so, I have two more designs ready to be sculpted.

Pages: 1 3 replies