Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

shag's paintings in europe, "the call of kapu" in london

Pages: 1 23 replies

V

Check out his website : http://www.shag.com/
He has an exhibition here in Paris, in the Paul Smith store. Not tiki, but cool : "holidays on ice" (I'll be at the cocktail reception tomorrow thursday with the artist), and he'll have an exhibition in London : "the call of Kapu" wich might be more tiki, October 28 to November 7.

Sounds great for the euro shag's fan.

[ Edited by: virani on 2004-10-07 15:28 ]

V
virani posted on Thu, Oct 7, 2004 3:27 PM

Back from the parisian shag's night. It was pretty cool, the paintings are really nice, even if there were no tikis. We had a little conversation with cyril (uke club de paris, album cover by shag), Sunny Buick and Shag...it was nice.
We had a gift box when we left with girly letter paper, we took some pics, shag signed my "tiki art now" book Cyril took me back from SF (so did sunny)...

About the London exhibition : this is going to be a tiki one (new paintings and limited prints).
The opening is October 27th and 28th, 7 - 9pm and afterwards at Trailer Happiness Lounge Bar, 117 Portobello Road (9pm-12pm).

RSVP : [email protected]

If you come to the exhibition, you'll have a free Anejo Highball Cocktail at the Trailer happiness.

Wow! Sounds great - thanks for the heads-up. I'm on a course on the 27th, but might be able to make it down to London in time for the next evening. Do you know which gallery it's going to be at, or will it be at another Paul Smith store?

Trader Woody

V
virani posted on Fri, Oct 8, 2004 6:24 AM

On 2004-10-08 06:01, Trader Woody wrote:
Do you know which gallery it's going to be at, or will it be at another Paul Smith store?

Trader Woody

Apart Gallery. 138 portobello road.

V
virani posted on Sat, Oct 9, 2004 4:29 AM

Here's pictures of the parisian show :

Cyril showing shag the "Tiki art now book" he haven't seen yet...

Cyril & my fave tattoo artist Sunny Buick

Cyril (ukuleleclubdeparis), Shag and me

On 2004-10-07 15:27, virani wrote:

RSVP : [email protected]

Cassie never answered my e-mail, so I won't be going. C'est la vie.

Thanks anyway, Virani.

Trader Woody

V

Some new infos on the London's show here :

http://shag.com/CallofKapu.html

Great tiki paintings

[ Edited by: virani on 2004-10-19 04:31 ]

[ Edited by: virani on 2004-10-19 04:32 ]

Great paintings. I'm definitely gonna go and see those in person. Then into Trailer Happiness.....yeee hah

Well, it's just way too far for me to travel just to get turned away at the door because I'm 'not on the list'.

If I'd heard back from Cassie last week, I could have arranged time off, train tickets and a hotel but these aren't really things I can do at the last minute.

Looks like it'll be a cool-looking show, though. Shag seems to be back to what he does best. (Tiki!) Don't forget to take your camera K-H!

Trader Woody

Hey! I just got my invite from Cassie through. I can hear those Kapu calling.....

Ha, me too! Typical - too late to be any use, though.

Ah well, I can always look at them on the Shag site.

Trader Woody

On 2004-10-19 07:29, Trader Woody wrote:

Ah well, I can always look at them on the Shag site.

Trader Woody

Or I can always see 'em the way Shag painted em!!!

I managed to get time off, transport, and a cheap and cheerful place to stay. I'll be down on thursday, so am looking forward to a damn fine evening of Tiki. How could I even think of missing such a classic show?

Trader Woody

Hey, did anyone else notice that the show is sponsored by Havana Club rum? Finally a slice of Tiki Heaven has landed in the Brits' back garden!

Looking forward to a damn fine evening.

Trader Woody

Fantastic evening at the Call of the Kapu. Shag the man, the legend was there and even more important his pictures were there. Man, I've always admired his work and his prints are gorgeous BUT seeing the original artwork was absolutely out of sight. The colours on those things just jump out at you.
Apart, the gallery, had a beautiful tiki bar built by our Cheekytiki and the drinks were flowing freely all night. Then onto the fantastic Trailer Happiness for more fabulous free cocktails and conversation. It was one fantastic experience.
I was too busy talking to take any pictures but I think Trader Woody took a few so hopefully he'll post thoose.

Thanks SHAG, great work!

[ Edited by: Kon-Hemsby on 2004-10-29 01:52 ]

Yeah, it was a great opening(s) the work was fantastic and everyone involved did a great job.
Met a few TC lurkers as well.
Trader Woody had a camera so I'm sure he'll put the pictures up soon.
Its still on till the 7th if anyone wants to go check it out

Went to the grand opening of the 'Call of Kapu' last Wednesday night in Lonlon, took us 3 hours to get there in heavy rain, but was it worth it!!! WOW!! How kool was it! And as for Shag, he was great, what a very kool guy and really down to earth, he really appreciated everything that was going on and was pleased so many fans turned up. The venue was great, the bar was great and it was a great evening, its about time we got tiki things over here, we loved it!
Thanks to everyone concerned, do it again SOON!

Aye, I've a few photos to put up but Shutterfly is down as I write. Maybe later!

Had an excellent night seeing my fellow Brit Tiki Centralites - always a pleasure - as well as getting a chance to have a good old chat with Shag who was a lovely chap. Great to see Cheekytiki's bar and carvings complimenting Shag's paintings and prints too.

Anyway, no doubt the photos will tell the story a little better, though I was enjoying myself far too much to take good pics!

Trader Woody
PS - Shame not to see you there Tikiwagon, but I'm glad to see you managed to get onto Tiki Central.

Don't have any pics of the night yet, but heres one of the man of the night, his brother and myself and the other half. Oh and a tiki

Hey CheekyTiki, I have finaly joined...

What a night! Meeting Shag, taking in his gorgeous art, the colours are so vivid and he is a great bloke too, happy to chat, happy to sign. The venue was really cool (great bar CheekyTiki) with an excllent dj (who was she?) Then at the aftershow party I got to meet CheekyTiki and his better half, Louise and me had a great time, cheers! Looking forward to the next batch of pics.

Hey Tikispecs good to have another Britiki on board. I'm not too far from you in Andover.

OK - finally got onto Shutterfly. Here's a few pics:

Shag helps celebrate a bloke from the gallery's birthday.

Some of the British Tiki Central gang. You'll know
Kon-Hemsby and Cheekytiki.

Checking out the tapa cloth

Yours truly and Shag in front of one of his originals

One of Cheekytiki's carvings - seen previously on Tiki Central

The Shag/Tiki/Cake thing

All washed down with non-stop free Mai Tai's that continued into the night at Trailer Happiness. (Photos and review to follow) What a great evening!

Trader Woody

T

Hi Kon-Hemsby, and I work in Romsey so closer still. Its great to be aboard. Pics look great Trader Woody. A top event.

JT

Scoreboard!

K
Kono posted on Sat, Jan 22, 2005 9:01 PM

On 2005-01-19 13:52, Jax Tiki wrote:

This is a great pic. Woody, you look just like a kid on Christmas morning who just got the best gift you could've ever hoped for. Classic.

But I'm wondering...where the hell is your left hand and why does Shag have that strange inscrutable smile?? :wink:

Pages: 1 23 replies