Name:Faré Tahiti
Type:restaurant
Street:11 rue Godot De Mauroy
City:Paris
State:
Zip:75009
Phone:01 47 07 35 77

Description:
There's a new tahitian restaurant in Paris. I've been to the opening with friends and Mogambo a month ago.
The food is good, but nothing special when you know the real stuff. Not much cocktails but Hinano's beer (wich is cool to have here).
There's dancers thursday, friday and saturday nights with tahitian music (wich might be really nice if it weren't with this stupid keyboard...).
The staff is all french Polynesian and really nice.
Tiki is missing here...

[ Edited by: Hakalugi - updated status to defunct. - 2012-07-21 17:49 ]

Great! Looks like a fun place. From my limited experience & from what I hear, Paris badly needs Tiki, so this is a big step in the right direction.

Virani - there was a club in Paris called the Straw Hut a few years back. Does it still exist? Was there ever anything Tiki about it?

Trader Woody

V
virani posted on Thu, Oct 7, 2004 3:47 AM

I don't know about it, but I don't think it stills exist...do you know where it was supposed to be ???
But, as I searched a bit, I never found any place in Paris supposed to be a tiki bar. As I have been told, there used to be one in St Tropez but that's all...
I never understood why our Hilton never had a trader vic and any luxuous hotel a tiki bar...I don't even know a nice place to have good cocktails here, not like London or Berlin, Madrid...

On 2004-10-07 03:47, virani wrote:
I don't even know a nice place to have good cocktails here, not like London or Berlin, Madrid...

I found the 'Straw Hut' (Actually had a French name) a few years ago but can't recall the location.

Harry's Bar near the Opera house serves pretty decent cocktails, though I only had one there. More gin than rum based, from what I recall, and not Tiki at all. Have you tried it?

Trader Woody

V
virani posted on Thu, Oct 7, 2004 6:36 AM

On 2004-10-07 05:45, Trader Woody wrote:
Yes

I found the 'Straw Hut' (Actually had a French name) a few years ago but can't recall the location.

Harry's Bar near the Opera house serves pretty decent cocktails, though I only had one there. More gin than rum based, from what I recall, and not Tiki at all. Have you tried it?

Trader Woody

The straw hut might have been "La paillotte" (the french translation).
About Harry's bar, I dont think I know it, I'll have a look, thanks.

On 2004-10-07 06:36, virani wrote:

The straw hut might have been "La paillotte" (the french translation).

Yep! That's the one! We only saw it from the outside as it was closed, but it looked kind of Tiki. I uderstand they put on Jazz bands.

Harry's bar has been going for a long time and has always attracted a lot of Americans and Brits. They supposedly invented the Bloody Mary, which is the reason why we sought it out. (Also the Opera was right there and we wanted to take a look at that amazing building).

Some reviews of Harry's and it's location are found here:

http://www.worldsbestbars.com/city/Paris/HarrysBar.asp

"By 1924, Harry's had created the International Bar Flies, 'a secret fraternal organization devoted to the uplift and downfall of serious drinkers.' Its insignia showed a fly on a cube of sugar. There was also a secret handshake for members."

Trader Woody

It kind of looks like most private homes in Tahiti or what I see after a Hinano Hangover

Unfortunately, this restaurant is no longer open...

[ Edited by: Trader Magnus 2010-08-04 05:56 ]

Pages: 1 7 replies