Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Lap Steel Guitar

Pages: 1 11 replies

I've been a guitar-slinger since The Partridge Family had number 1 hits, but 2 weeks ago a bought a lap steel guitar. For those that don't know what a lap steel is, it's the type of slide guitar you typically hear in hawaiian or country music.

My question to any other lap steel players is this: a) what tunings do you mostly use, b) if you use a E major tuning, how do you go about playing in minor keys, c) are most chords 2 note chords (root and 5th), d) what are some good publications for instruction, and e) can I put a whammy bar on it (just kidding).

Thanks,

(I think I love you, so what am I so afraid of, blah, blah, blah, Keith Partridge)

A thing of tiki is a joy forever

[ Edited by: Tiki_Bong on 2002-09-21 22:11 ]

Hey Bongo,
You music, surfin, karate chef TIKI boy (man)
I don't know anything about your Ghi-tar,
BUTT, I also don't know how to get in touch with you. Please drop me a E-mail sewz I can talk to you off central.

twang! bong-o, when you get it semi down, come to the store and play for tips!!

S

On NPR Sunday they were talking about the origin of the Hawaiian steel guitar. They said it was introduced to the US when a certain fellow, who's name escapes me, stowed away on a ship to San Fran at age 17. Maybe there is something more on their web page. "Sound and Spirit" was the show.

S

Here is the listing from the sight:

An Orange Grove in California
Irving Berlin
Sol Hoopii et al
SOL HOOPII - MASTER OF THE
HAWIIAN GUITAR - VOLUME TWO

• Rounder 1025

No way I was going to get Sol Hoopii over the air! Anyone headr any of this guy?

Check out http://www.homespuntapes.com, they have instructional videos for playing every kind of instrument.

I have Volume 1 of Sol Hoopii from that series. Very good stuff. It was recorded so long ago, the sound is anachronistic and low-tech, though.

Floratina,

Please bring the tape to Baxdog's gig!

F

Okie dokie.

T

With all the crap I do have I still do not have a turntable or a tape player
SORRY

F

It's on cd.

T

Tina, Tina,

I didn't mean 'for' Baxdog's party, I meant for me to borrow and return at a later date.

Pages: 1 11 replies