Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

James T "Tiki Road Trip" in SF Nov. 11/4-11/7/04

Pages: 1 2 57 replies

James will be in the SF Bay Area early November and here are somethings he will be doing;
Thurs Nov. 4- Pete
Moody's OLIVE OR TWIST? will be screening co-hosted by myself
(Will the Thrill), Monica Tiki Goddess and Otto Von Stroheim, with
PROJECT PIMENTO performing live, plus assorted cocktail-themed
shorts, Thursday, Nov 4, 9PM sharp at The Parkway Speakeasy in
Oakland
http://www.thrillville.net
http://www.projectpimento.com
Friday, Nov. 5 --SF Traders Vic's visit and maybe more
Sat. Nov. 6 - To be announced party at a TC members pad.

For more info on Thursday go to http://www.thrillville.net
For mor info on Friday or Saturday, keep checking out this thread.

This sounds like a lot of fun Mr, Smiley.
I think I will make it.

T

Dang, Bruce, THAT's some hospitality - not only do you announce my trip, but you plan an agenda for me too.

Do you wanna move to Chicago and help me pimp my music career?

See y'all there... good times ahead, and no hurricanes!

M

On 2004-10-11 16:28, tikibars wrote:
Dang, Bruce, THAT's some hospitality - not only do you announce my trip, but you plan an agenda for me too.

James, I pm'd you your bathroom schedule !! :)

M

On 2004-10-11 15:44, Unga Bunga wrote:
This sounds like a lot of fun Mr, Smiley.
I think I will make it.

I think there is a motel in the Chalet/Modesto Tropics chain here!!! :)

What city would you stay in, SF or the East Bay for the Saturday event.

On 2004-10-14 14:33, mrsmiley wrote:

I read a review in Swankster magazine about the S&Miley Tropical Chalet and it gave it a "Five Prophylactic" rating. I think I'll stay there. :)

M

On 2004-10-14 16:51, Unga Bunga wrote:

On 2004-10-14 14:33, mrsmiley wrote:

I read a review in Swankster magazine about the S&Miley Tropical Chalet and it gave it a "Five Prophylactic" rating. I think I'll stay there. :)

Sorry to correct your spelling, that article was in SPANKSTER Magazine!!!

Have a nice Tiki Day!

[ Edited by: mrsmiley on 2004-10-14 16:55 ]

James T in town?
Mr Smiley, bring him by the Conga Lounge. We'd all dig to meet him

M

Have a nice Tiki Day!

[ Edited by: mrsmiley on 2004-11-08 10:38 ]

T

Geographically, Bruce, what is the feasibility of a Conga Lounge / new Vics (will it be open) run on Friday?

Hey JT, maybe you could head over to the Conga on Thursday, after the Parkway. We'll be there till late. Geographically, a lot closer than SF Vic's.

T

Sounds like a plan, then.
Thursday at Conga Lounge late-night.

M

yay Vic's is open--see you all Friday 11/5 at 7pm!!

Have a nice Tiki Day!

[ Edited by: mrsmiley on 2004-11-03 18:20 ]

On 2004-11-01 11:36, mrsmiley wrote:
It would have been fine, but since Trader Vic's is possibly not going to be open Friday we should plan some alternative stuff.

We hooked up at the Emeryville Trader Vic's before embarking on the Pixar tour last Friday, and we were told that the SF location is opening this Wednesday.

M

Doctor Funk's Son is calling me!!

[ Edited by: mrsmiley on 2004-11-03 18:21 ]

M

Saturday , November 6 will possibly be the LAST time I will have a public showing of the world famous Ugh House bar, "The Enchanted Drinking Room". The party will start at 8pm.

Have a nice Tiki Day!

[ Edited by: mrsmiley on 2004-11-05 19:10 ]

[ Edited by: mrsmiley on 2004-11-08 10:41 ]

UB

Mrsmiley,
Great to party with you again at Hooptylau!
If Vics is open, I'm there.
Would like to have a drink there before the show. No hard liquor at the Speakeasy
I wish I could make it Saturday.

[ Edited by: Unga Bunga on 2004-11-01 13:22 ]

UB

OK, I finally got word that S.F. Trader Vics opens tomorrow (Wed.).
I will be going to Vics Thurs. night before the show around 6:00. Show starts at 9:00.
I hope some of you will join me.
I will take some pics for those who can’t get there.
Aloha!

T

The manager of TVics here in Chicago confirmed for me that the SF location will be open before Friday.

Due to logistics in Bruce and Jen's schedules, it looks like the plan now is to do Conga Lounge before the Thursday night event, and to do TVics SF on Friday. Looking forward to seeing you all then.

T
thejab posted on Tue, Nov 2, 2004 4:37 PM

On 2004-11-02 16:13, tikibars wrote:
Due to logistics in Bruce and Jen's schedules, it looks like the plan now is to do Conga Lounge before the Thursday night event, and to do TVics SF on Friday. Looking forward to seeing you all then.

How about Vic's Emeryville Thursday before the movie and Conga after the movie (it should be open late)?

On 2004-11-02 16:37, thejab wrote:

How about Vic's Emeryville Thursday before the movie and Conga after the movie (it should be open late)?

How about Conga before the movie and all of the bay area vics friday night?

M

Have a nice Tiki Day!

[ Edited by: mrsmiley on 2004-11-08 10:43 ]

(Sorry Unga)

No sweat. I have a one shot window (one day) to see the new Vics. Not gonna miss it. I like the Conga, just don't have the time.
We'll all connect at the Speakeasy for some Tikibars and Pimento!

M

Due to logistics in schedules, it looks like the plan now is to do Conga Lounge before the Thursday night event at the Parkway Theater in Oakland, and to do TVics SF on Friday. Looking forward to seeing you all then.

Ok , How about 7pm Friday Nov. 5 at Trader Vics in SF- 555 Golden Gate Ave near Van Ness! And maybe more places after that.

Have a nice Tiki Day!

[ Edited by: mrsmiley on 2004-11-03 18:23 ]

A
aquarj posted on Wed, Nov 3, 2004 6:50 PM

Hey Madame Miley, thanks for sending the alert that TVics is open already! Fri eve sounds good for TVics; we've gotta split early though (Nancy Sinatra plus Thee Barbary Coasters!).

And welcome back to town, JT! Thrillville, a new TVics, UGH, what more could anybody ask for? We're hoping to pull the hat trick too.

-Randy

T

Glad you're coming out Randy.

So, to clarify for everyone, I guess the official schedule is:

Thursday: Conga Lounge, 7 PM, then Parkway Speakeasy

Friday: Trader Vic's, 7 PM, then...?

Saturday: Ugh House party, 8PM.

Rockin'!

T

On 2004-11-03 00:53, Unga Bunga wrote:
I have a one shot window (one day) to see the new Vics. Not gonna miss it.

Kevin, if you want to come by my place on the way to SF and pick up your fish trap lamp, check your email for my phone number!

"But why is the rum gone?!" -Capt. Jack Sparrow

The Tiki Gallery has over 1,300 photos!
http://www.tradervic.com
http://www.tikiroom.net
http://www.tikimug.net
http://www.tikimugs.net

[ Edited by: TikiHula on 2004-11-04 10:12 ]

On 2004-11-03 18:17, mrsmiley wrote:
Ok , How about 7pm Friday Nov. 5 at Trader Vics in SF- 555 Golden Gate Ave near Van Ness!

Yes, it's on Golden Gate between Van Ness and Polk. I drove by there last night and noticed that there's no signage on the outside -- just look for the big liquor license application in the window. 8)

Some of us will be at the new trader vic's tonight shortly after 6 pm, traffic permitting.

although honestly, I think I'm still drunk from last night! I banged my head on a chair last night getting ready for bed so I've got two different headaches now too!

It was cool to see you again, DangerGirl! I have an assortment of headaches too...

I am going to Nancy S. tonight, but will stop by Vic's around 6:30 and hang for a bit--my friends at Bimbo's will hold me a spot at a good table!

multitasking tikivixen

H

On 2004-11-05 10:49, cynfulcynner wrote:
I drove by there last night and noticed that there's no signage on the outside -- just look for the big liquor license application in the window.

The liquor license application in the window is just a formality, right? Right? They are actually able to serve alcohol already, yes? I'm bringing a date there on Saturday night, and I was hoping to get him drunk and have my way with him.

On 2004-11-05 12:03, Humuhumu wrote:
The liquor license application in the window is just a formality, right? Right? They are actually able to serve alcohol already, yes?

Yes -- they have to post it publicly for a set period of time (I think it's 30 days) to warn the neighbors. 8)

H

On 2004-11-05 12:06, cynfulcynner wrote:
Yes -- they have to post it publicly for a set period of time (I think it's 30 days) to warn the neighbors.

whew! Thanks!

On 2004-11-05 12:00, tikivixen wrote:
It was cool to see you again, DangerGirl! I have an assortment of headaches too...

I am going to Nancy S. tonight, but will stop by Vic's around 6:30 and hang for a bit--my friends at Bimbo's will hold me a spot at a good table!

multitasking tikivixen  

Excellent! I will see you then for some "hair of the dog" ! Until then, I'll be a Suffering Bastard more or less...

-alcoholic-in-training Emma Peel

Just wanted to jump in and say it was greating meeting Tikibars and Ungabunga at the gig, and to thank everyone for coming - it was a pretty Tiki Central-intensive crowd overall. Otto made it as much of a Mai Tai evening as a Martini one, but personally I like mixing my drinks. I also dug how the Tiki Goddess ignored my request not to get overtly political,too. Those fiery Latinas, man - even dying their hair platinum doesn't douse the flames. Hope to see you at the Psychotronic Sea Show with Pollo Del Mar next Thurs 11/11 http://www.thrillville.net
Aloha.

M

Thanks again Will- it was a great show. The Olive or Twist documentary is a quirky but informative one. Otto's bit is classic. More laughter at Hopeless Henry Tenenbaum, and of course the ever fantastic Project Pimento. Don't miss them at The Purple Orchid next weekend, southlanders!

But Will, I have to say that you broke my heart when you told everyone that the enchanting Miss Lola Bombay was a married woman now. My dreams were shattered. Then my jaw was shattered by my wife as she reminded me that I was married, too.

On 2004-11-05 15:57, martiki wrote:
But Will, I have to say that you broke my heart when you told everyone that the enchanting Miss Lola Bombay was a married woman now. My dreams were shattered.

AGREED!

Will,
Thanks for a great show and great meeting you too finally.
Great meeting Tikibars finally as well. This guy is cool.
And ditto for all my other TC friends I got to see again that night!

Did anyone make it to Trader Vic's tonight? I got there at 10:30 and didn't see any familiar faces.....

T

On 2004-11-06 01:33, cynfulcynner wrote:

Did anyone make it to Trader Vic's tonight? I got there at 10:30 and didn't see any familiar faces.....

I arrived at around 7 and we stayed until about 9:30 or 10. After drinking a Trader Vic's Grog (excellent), a Pogo Stick (refreshing), and a Tortuga (quite tart), I figured I better have some dinner so we went to Original Joe's which is a bit more wallet-friendly than Trader Vic's. A big Joe's hamburger sobered me up enough to drive so we headed back to the East Bay and made a couple of stops for refreshments: Heinhold's First and Last Chance and then the Alley for a bit of Rod Dibble on the piano.

Aquarj and Naomi stopped in for a drink on the way to Nancy Sinatra.

The bartending staff are so friendly and attentive at this new location that it makes me want to visit often. Jim is the assistant bar manager who transferred from Emeryville. Sonja is back at Trader Vic's after working elsewhere for a while. They both have the drinks down pat while some of the newer staff still need some practice.

T

Sorry I had to miss the fun at Vic's and Bimbo's yesterday evening, but a nasty car mishap sidelined me for the evening--and alas, my sacred Volvo is probably sidelined permanently. Crap.

A drink at the Ugh House might help with the whiplash, but even though I technically have a longterm loaner already, the thought of heading out on the freeway again so soon makes me feel kind of sick. So I will probably be a no-show, but..my thoughts will be with you all. Snif.

Humu dear, luckily your artwork was NOT riding with me last night, and it is in fact currently huddled nervously in the corner of my office. I have informed it that, most likely, the longed-for reuinion will occur down at Sam's on the 19th, unless you can swing a Vallejo side trip before you head home. Or something like that...meow. Back to the Advil...

XOX

tikivixen

Tikivixen!

So glad you didn't check out on us this weekend! Sounds like your year is still a cr*p one like mine had been. Good luck with the car-borrowing and car-hunting. My nightmare in that one regard just ended Wednesday (after 3 months), but it ended with the car of my dreams. Ok, not a '57 Chevy in candy apple red. But I got a 4-yr-old, low miles, champagne Camry with a sunroof (affordable because of the dings from hail damage. I kissed the dings when I saw them (with a microscope, practically)). You should hear the Esquivel blasting out now!

Here's to 2005 - It canNOT get here fast enough, man! Here's to Tikivixen having lots of NICE things coming her way!

M

On 2004-11-06 01:33, cynfulcynner wrote:

I pooped out and couldn't make it Friday night. I had done too much drinking that weeke already!! I was rested enough to get the Ugh house in somewhat "Tipple"-top shape :)

Have a nice Tiki Day!

[ Edited by: mrsmiley on 2004-11-08 11:46 ]

M

Thanks Unga for the "Doctor Funks's Son" at Trader Vics on Thursday and also for the ride to the Conga Lounge. Thanks also to the Conga Lounge folks for all the appetizers that they kept bringing to our table. Yum!!

On 2004-11-08 11:53, mrsmiley wrote:
Thanks Unga for the "Doctor Funks's Son" at Trader Vics on Thursday and also for the ride to the Conga Lounge. Thanks also to the Conga Lounge folks for all the appetizers that they kept bringing to our table. Yum!!

and a special thanks to the conga lounge folks for making my 2 drinks so STRONG! I haven't seen double in YEARS! I hit my head later that evening, had a splitting headache, a neck ache, a tummy ache, and a fender bender the next day!!

that zombie and/or blue hawaiian should come with a disclaimer.... :wink:

M

On 2004-11-08 11:57, dangergirl299 wrote:

On 2004-11-08 11:53, mrsmiley wrote:

and a special thanks to the conga lounge folks for making my 2 drinks so STRONG! I haven't seen double in YEARS! I hit my head later that evening, had a splitting headache, a neck ache, a tummy ache, and a fender bender the next day!!

that zombie and/or blue hawaiian should come with a disclaimer.... :wink:

Sounds like you better talk to a laywer!! (tee-hee)

T

It was great weekend! Thanks to mrsmiley and dangergirl for working so hard to make the party happen.

JT and I wrapped up the weekend yesterday with a visit to the Temple Bar, Club Mallard, and the Albatross for the pub quiz. JT won a vintage beer tray - what a lucky break that one of the questions Jeff asked was "Who wrote the book Aku Aku?"!

M

On 2004-11-08 12:38, thejab wrote:

JT and I wrapped up the weekend yesterday with a visit to the Temple Bar, Club Mallard, and the Albatross for the pub quiz. JT won a vintage beer tray - what a lucky break that one of the questions Jeff asked was "Who wrote the book Aku Aku?"!

I smell a game show scandal "brewing"!! There is going to be a "brewhahah" over this Pub Quiz fixing incident!

T

Uruguay.

Pages: 1 2 57 replies