Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Beachin says: Wanna know where I've been?

Pages: 1 42 replies

B

Wouldn't you like to know. No, really...

I've been working on the railroad...all the livelong day OH SORRY

I've been back in my studio. I'm getting ready to fly across the country to meet all of you fine people (at least they tell me you are fine people). I kicked my resident son out of the studio, took it back over, and am building like a demon.

I also am working on some prototypes to sell to Charlie's Coffee, a local coffee house that is fixin' to go nationwide in all of them-there Wal-marts in the US. Yup! If I get this account, I'll be sittin' pretty. (not just pretty)

I don't have any new pics to show you today. Stuff is still in the green stage.
And for those of you who follow my other art, I'm working on an installation for a gallery show in August. REALLY BIG PIECE!

Put some mugs up on a WANTED Poster --- NO on ebay. Just rounded up the usual suspects. They were making too much noise and I had to evict them. Buy them, folks. I don't need their kind around here. Besides, you never know the stories they'll tell you about me.

I'll post more pics when I get a chance.

Can't wait till May when I get to meet y'all at the OASIS!

[ Edited by: beachin on 2005-03-27 17:50 ]

My original post (Now a really old post):

[ Edited by: beachin on 2005-02-16 15:16 ]

Hello to all of the other tiki artists here. I make hand-built ceramic tiki mugs and just found you guys. I hope I'm not out of line. Just wanted to say hi! This is my passion:

edit: I wanted to add that without realizing it, I have been inspired by work of some of you artisans here on this site. I do my research on google, and I have seen pics of some of your work that inspired mine. I just want to say a general thanks for the inspiration, and also offer my deepest respect for you carvers out there! Man! Awesome stuff!

[ Edited by: beachin on 2005-03-27 17:54 ]

[ Edited by: beachin on 2005-03-27 17:56 ]

On 2004-10-11 21:57, beachin wrote:
This is my passion:

Boobs?
Just kidding, Aloha to Tiki Central!

B

smiling you have no idea! HaHA! I do a lot of stuff with bare-breasted women, so maybe so!

Welcome, beachin'. Not out of line in the least. Very unique art, too. It's great to have another artist on board!

http://www.samgambino.com

B

I love your work! I went over to your site to have a look around. I liked the shrunken head! Great stuff! I'm you newest fan!

B

Welcome Beachin, you do have some COOL Stuff. Don't be afraid to post your mind here, of course we Know whats on your mind..HA Ha

Thank you, beachin'.

B

Thanks! I'm moving close to your neck of the woods in June. I'll probably land more near Ft. Lauderdale, though. I'm about to graduate with my Associates of Fine Arts, then have to finish up my bachelor's. Louisiana isn't exactly art-friendly. My husband also goes to school and will be studying bioinformatics and doing gene research.

I was up till 3:30 this morning reading posts on this forum. What a wonderful site! I don't think I'll ever be uninspired again. I have an itch to run out to the studio right now and create a whole new population of tiki's just for y'all.

Another note, I have a one-woman show opening in two weeks, but it's mostly stuff inspired by the Wats of Southeast Asia. I'm almost finished getting ready for that. After installation, I'll start getting ready for the Christmas shopping season. Y'all save some of your Christmas budget to throw my way.

A starving artist has to get her rum somehow!

Thanks for the comments on my thread. As I did, you will see everyone here is very kind. It is really great to have super talented artists give advice and critique some of your work. I was a little nervous posting my stuff(fear of ridicule) but that never happened. Welcome to TC.

B

On 2004-10-12 10:19, rodeotiki wrote:
I was a little nervous posting my stuff(fear of ridicule) but that never happened.

From what I've read (all night last night), everybody here is genuine. I feel comfortable already...kind of like I've been wondering in the desert for years and just found this oasis, and there's a party going on, and the rum is flowing freely, and everybody is smiling, and the water is great, so I'm just jumping in! (yes I know all about run-on sentences, but I couldn't stop myself)

I've been a parrot-head all of my life, and the lifestyle and attitude bleeds over here, too, apparently.

Rodeotiki, your tikis are awesome. I was quite impressed with your first attempt, and your progress was inspiring. As I mentioned in the thread, I carved in plaster (they are the dolphins on my site) and struggled with "carve everything that doesn't look like a dolphin" as I was directed by my sculpture teacher. Taking away is not my forte. It requires patience, planning, and vision.

Now building I can do. When I'm sitting in the studio, I get a giggle that scares my agent. She looks over at me and says something like "oh no!" but something fun always comes out of it.

I take my hat off to people with the talent, skill, patience, and vision to carve. Keep up the good work. Maybe someday, we can all say we knew you when!

Hey. I've only been on the board for a week now and am really surprised at how friendly everyone is. It's great to discover all the artist interested in tiki all in one place.

Great stuff! Where are you going to go to school down here in Florida?

B

On 2004-10-12 15:37, yumyumkid wrote:
Where are you going to go to school down here in Florida?

Not sure yet. It depends on where my husband gets accepted. I'm getting a BFA so I can really study anywhere, and I've already started my business and my career, so his major is more major than my major and is my major concern : )

T

Beachin,

Where are you located in LA? I would say There are few of us around on the site (many located in NO) as well as a few "lurkers" I know of.

B

On 2004-10-12 16:14, tiki410 wrote:
Beachin,

Where are you located in LA?

I'm living in Denham Springs, outside of Baton Rouge. I go to college in Baton Rouge.

I get to New Orleans from time to time to do things with the New Orleans Parrot Head Club at Margaritaville.

Hi Beachin,

Like your mugs & like your style. I also like Jimmy Buffet. People get a little weird about JB here on TC, but don't 'em throw ya off. Bare breasts are also a theme in the parking lot pre-concert at JB gigs so he can't be all that bad, can he? In my book booze, sailing, and islands fit right in with tiki.

Just do a search on Jimmy Buffet on this site & you'll see what I mean. Anyway, welcome & let's see some more of your work.

Aloha,

Aaron

B

On 2004-10-13 22:09, Aaron's Akua wrote:
People get a little weird about JB here on TC

Geez, you're right! I didn't realize I made such a horrible goof. Shows what I know. I'm just an ignorant artist that likes what I see and I don't plan on trying to convert anyone.

Thanks for the compliments. I'll do my best to be humble and try not to offend.

T

Beachin,

Let us know next time you are traveling through NO and we will see about opening Tonga Isle (name of home bar) to you. I have been trying to convince some fellow home bar owners to do a crawl but never been able to pin down a day to do it.

H

beachin, welcome to TC. It is great to see female artists here there are just a few if any and thanks for posting. Love the stuff you have done. Refreshing.

B

On 2004-10-14 07:06, tiki410 wrote:
Let us know next time you are traveling through NO and we will see about opening Tonga Isle (name of home bar) to you.

Thanks, Tiki410! I told my husband about your offer, and we are definately due to head your way. I have an art show that I'm installing on Thursday, but after that, we can possible find some time to swing down there. My email is posted in here, so let's hammer out details.

I managed to live through mid-terms, so I have stuff to celebrate (until finals at least)! At any rate, I would love to meet real life people from this site. I often stay up all night long reading posts on here, trying to learn the ways of the tiki. It's an neverending quest for enlightenment.

B

On 2004-10-14 08:03, hiltiki wrote:
beachin, welcome to TC. It is great to see female artists here there are just a few if any and thanks for posting. Love the stuff you have done. Refreshing.

Thanks! It's great to BE a female artist. I waited 20 years to be able to go back to college and major in fine arts. I love every minute I spend in the studio and love sharing my work with others.

Everyone here is so welcoming! It makes me feel so warm and fuzzy inside! I only hope that I can meet you of you in real life someday.

B

I'm BAAAAAAAAACK!

Been out of the loop for the last four months working on my solo show, and then doing the commissions that were ordered as a result of that show. Whew. I'm almost caught up!

I'm glad to be back in the forum. It's gonna take me a while to catch up, but I will.

Hope you all had a great holiday season. I know I did. I only have one more semester to go before I complete my associates degree then I'm outa here towards sunny Florida (I think), or San Diego (second choice).

I'll post pics soon of my latest endeavors. Just gotta finish up some stuff on my computer tonite.

I've made a post in marketplace, too. Ugh!

Just a shout out to all you folks out there! HEY!

B

Ok Here's a pic of one of the pieces I just finished on commission for a patron. Yes, sadly, it is an ashtray, but I tried to hide that fact as much as possible. I was given complete artistic lisence.

A thumbnail of the whole thing:

This is a fun closeup of the detail on the natives:

Front view:

Side view:

Very nice work, Beachin!

I have a couple of creations posted here, but nothing so creative. I like the mugs with the red tikis on the front. The flowers they're holding are a cool idea. Let's see more!

B

Thanks. I've got a few pics here of stuff that's not yet on my website (except the pirate mugs--a favorite!)

Pirate Mugs say Will Pillage for Rum on the back

Little Chief

Google Eyes (for lack of a better name)

Kiss Me!

Arrrrrr!!!!

B

On 2005-01-10 20:49, RevBambooBen wrote:
Arrrrrr!!!!

AYE Matey! Shiver me timbers! I'm a pirate!

B

These are HORRIBLE pictures, but I thought some of you might like a lady with big boobs and a grass skirt! This is the closest I get to a sculpture!

I call her Muppet With Tits!

[ Edited by: beachin on 2005-01-13 18:02 ]

B

On 2004-10-14 07:06, tiki410 wrote:
Beachin,

Let us know next time you are traveling through NO and we will see about opening Tonga Isle (name of home bar) to you. I have been trying to convince some fellow home bar owners to do a crawl but never been able to pin down a day to do it.

I'm sorry I fell out of touch. I was doing a solo show and some work in the studio and lost track of about 4 motnhs somewhere in there! I'm alive now...working on new stuff.

I haven't been to NO in sooooooo long and am due for some R&R! My college semester starts next Tuesday. EEK! I'm not ready for that.

Let's try to get together sometime, shall we? My husband, Joe, was excited when I told him about you, but that was a loooong time ago.

I didn't want you to think I was rude! I'm back now.

Kimberly

B

I finally got a picture of this guy to share with y'all. This guy guards my room. He ain't doing a too good of a job of guarding me, but I think he's OK with letting the booze slip in from time to time.

He's a multimedia sculpture I made when I my teacher told me to "go over the top." I had to disassemble his crown cuz it got so beat up, but he'll be alright just like he is. He even has toenails, a detail most people overlook!

He's been in the family since last spring, so I guess this is his introduction to (ahem) polite society. Well I drunk posted him on bilge cuz it went with whatever line of thought was going there, but that doesn't count!

Kahuna (I refer to him as mini-me)

B

New Stuff

I call this the Pineapple Guy Set

B

http://www.samgambino.com

I went back to your website today. I had liked what I saw a few months ago and wanted to see if you had anything new.

Did you do Bacon recently? I don't remember seeing that one before. I LOVE it! Verrrrry Creepy! Great stuff!

Kimberly

B

This is my latest project. It's only been bisque-fired so far, but the glazing will start this week. It's a naga (guards temples) and I haven't named it yet.

Congratulations on your sale! Way to go!

I love your new creation too, he's really cute! I can't wait to see what colours he turns out to be!

T

Beachin,

Tried to email using the links on the sight and got an invalid address. Must have missed the topic. Love some of the new stuff. Let me know if ya'll are still planning on coming to NO.

Congrats, Beachin!

I can't imagine trying to make it as a full time artist. Keep it up! Here's to many more sales, each one better & better!

Aaron

B

On 2005-02-16 16:31, tiki410 wrote:
Beachin,

Tried to email using the links on the sight and got an invalid address. Must have missed the topic. Love some of the new stuff. Let me know if ya'll are still planning on coming to NO.

OH NO! I'll have to check that email address! Maybe I put something in wrong! I'm at kimberlycoburn@yahoo

As far as NO is concerned, I haven't been there since last summer. I'm off soon for Spring Break, so maybe we can bring over some Rum then and visit in person!

My spring break is March 19-27. As far as I know we're not going anywhere. I'm saving up to go to the OASIS in May for a couple of days.

Let me know if that'll be ok with you!

B

On 2005-02-16 15:52, Tikiwahine wrote:
Congratulations on your sale! Way to go!

I love your new creation too, he's really cute! I can't wait to see what colours he turns out to be!

Thanks a million! He'll probably have a lot of greens and yellows with a little blue accent. I'll post pics when he's done. Gee, he really needs a name. All of my other creations have names!

B

On 2005-02-16 17:00, Aaron's Akua wrote:
Congrats, Beachin!

I can't imagine trying to make it as a full time artist. Keep it up! Here's to many more sales, each one better & better!

Aaron

Thanks! It's not easy...believe me! I'm in school full-time, too, so there's that added distraction.

On another topic, I discussed how hard it is for me to make decisions about business matters, who to trust, and how much I generally hate being the business manager as well as the artist.

If I had my druthers, I would just make art all day long, but my ambition is to be a KNOWN artist, not just an artist. On that, I will not waver. I want my name out there and my art in other people's homes, not my own.

It's not a greed thing, cuz my prices are low, low, low, and I really don't make much money at all. It's more the fact that I want people to enjoy my art as much as I do.

I'm getting there one sale at a time, though. I've had some good publicity locally and nationally and that helps.

Thanks for the support! I don't know what I would do without this forum. It's become my major support basis, as it's the only place I know of where so many like-minded artists hang out. I like it here.

T

Marked the dates in the calender. Looking forward to it.

B

Way to go Beachin, glad to see you doing well. I Really like this latest piece. It may be your Best yet. Keep it up

B

[ Edited by: beachin on 2005-03-27 17:47 ]

For those of you who follow my art and my (attempt to build a) business, I sold a piece of art this week for $350! I'm excited because this was my biggest sale as an artist! Go me!

Also, just want to shout out a general thanks to all of you in this forum for being so supportive. You guys are so wonderfully great!

So, without further adieu, I give you a photo of my most recently sold piece (it's not the best pic, but I'm still learning how to use my new-fangled digicam):

Hey Beachin-

Congratulations. That's a nice piece. I enjoy taking something old and making a new art piece out of it. You did a fine job. Keep up the great work!

B

You did a fine job. Keep up the great work!

Why thank you Sir Sam. I'm workin' on blowing the socks off of every tiki from here to Tonga. I'm gonna do it too!

It might cost me dearly, but I've found there's no such thing as overnight success.

Haven't been to your site in a few weeks...I'll have to check out what you've been doing.

see ya

Pages: 1 42 replies