Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

My first log

Pages: 1 15 replies

M

I tried to post a pic and it wasn't successful, so, here goes again. This boy is 45" tall cocoa palm wood. My first time with a chisel on palm. I have done other much smaller bamboo tikis and they are populating our garden. I have 24 more logs to hack up and then it's on to building a full blown tiki bar outside. This is fun, and there are some extremely talented folks here. Thank you for providing a place to learn and to share ideas.

Tis a brave man who wears the kilt in January.

This works now! Had to "share" it first!!!

http://www.shutterfly.com/share/picture_dt.jsp?state=67b0de21834e544ee43b&idx=0

[ Edited by: McTiki on 2004-10-15 06:38 ]

[ Edited by: McTiki on 2004-10-15 06:41 ]

[ Edited by: McTiki on 2004-10-15 12:15 ]

[ Edited by: McTiki on 2004-10-19 12:49 ]

[ Edited by: McTiki on 2004-10-19 12:50 ]

Hey McTiki.

Considering that this is an international forum, you may want to consider changing your signature. You know, not every country represented here speaks English as a first language.

Just a thought.

M

You are absolutely correct. I will adjust accordingly and I apologize.

McTiki,

It took me a while to figure out embedding too! I'm on a Mac so it works a little different.

In your Shutterfly account, go to the desired picture. Right click (on a Mac: single click with the Control key pressed) on your photo, there will be an options menu. I chose the option "show image in new window", copy the URL of this new page.

I hope this works for you!
-FB

P.S.
Culture is cool.
Tikis are culture.
Kilts are culture.
Both Tiki and Kilts are cool!

You should change your username to "TIKILTI"!!!

[ Edited by: FREAKBEAR on 2004-10-14 15:18 ]

M

I like the way you think Freakbear. I did what you said with the shutterfly thing. It the link) works from here. Does it work for you all?

http://www.tikicentral.com/faq.php#embed
go here for help

If I have to explain it, You still wouldnt get it.

[ Edited by: rodeotiki on 2004-10-14 16:44 ]

On 2004-10-14 12:37, McTiki wrote:

/quote]

Here you go, my friend. Just added brackets around the "img" part and removed a space at the end. You'll get the hang soon.

Aaron

"Ah, good taste! What a dreadful thing! Taste is the enemy of creativeness."
-Pablo Picasso

[ Edited by: Aaron's Akua on 2004-10-14 18:10 ]

Now that's embarassing. Tried to show you how it works and got the old dreaded red "X". Okay, guess you're on your own. Hurry up so we can see your carving. The suspense is killing me!

One more try!...Oh well! Are you sure you got the whole URL? Try clicking in the URL field and keying "Control""a" ("Command""a" on the Mac), this is the "Select All" command. We'll see it some day!

[ Edited by: FreakBear on 2004-10-14 19:24 ]

Looks like you forgot the brackets - damn computer code!

If that doesn't work try posting the web address. Don't forget to post you id & password.

Sounds like you have a gold mine for wood. Here is my first Tiki. Born from a fallen Ficus tree.

[ Edited by: AlohaStation on 2004-10-15 09:44 ]

M

http://www.shutterfly.com/share/picture_dt.jsp?state=67b0de21834e544ee43b&idx=0

Should work now!!! Already started #2

Jeez, it defaults to user name and password

user name = [email protected]
Password = happy1

[ Edited by: McTiki on 2004-10-20 06:46 ]

O.K., here we go, (Drum roll please....) TaaaaaDaaaaaaa!

I'm so glad that worked. Now that's pretty good, McTiki. Your first? Very impressive! Happy Tiki! Please continue!

Aaron

M

Thank so much Aaron. So, did you put brackets around the img text? I don't get it quite yet. I'd rather wield a mallet and blade. Yes, it's my first, and it was harsh. This particular palm wood was very stringy and fiberous making longitudinal cuts dificult at best. The most fun was when the sanding began. I'm working on a more woody palm wood for #2 Thanks again !

Looks great. Is that snow on the ground? Or are they styrofoam peanuts (for when you do full contact carving)?

Anyway, do know what type of palm it was - I will be starting on my next tiki soon with a log from a sabal palm. I'll post pictures when I'm done.

M

It was a 45" Cocoa Palm trunk (wouldn't suggest using it as it is very stringy which, impedes longitudinal cuts) Sabal will be stringy too but more dense and more uniform when cutting. Thanks for the props.

M

Did some more but, used 15 inch long Bamboo. What an addiction huh? Happy Thanks giving crew!!! Aloha & Hauoli Lâ Hoomaika`i!

http://www.shutterfly.com/view/picture_dt.jsp?state=67b0de21b7e00039e44b&idx=0

Pages: 1 15 replies