Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

Florida tiki calendar

Pages: 1 25 replies

Vodkanauts are playing Wai-Tiki on October 22.

Who wants to do a Florida ohana party at the Hawaiian Inn, Daytona Beach, and is the weekend of January 22, 2005 good for you? A few of us talked about it at the Hukilau and said we should do it again. If there is enough interest, Marian and I will set it up.
KG

[ Edited by: kailuageoff on 2004-10-16 20:50 ]

J
JTD posted on Sun, Oct 17, 2004 7:13 AM

Geoff,
Katie & I and the boys would be up for another Hawaiian Inn luau. We had a great time at the last one.

JTD

Thanks for da pimpin', Kailuageoff! :)

A return to the Hawaiian Inn sounds great! The wahine and I really enjoyed being able to meet, hang and chat with the FLA ohana.

Unfortunately, my keyboard player will be out of the country until Feb 1st - any interest in doing htis in February ..?

J

We'll be there! (whenever you set it up)...
Can't wait!
Good to see you all at the IBDWaikiki show at the WaiTiki a few weeks ago (sorry about the belated post)...

S

If you would like, I can set up a forum for Florida Tiki on the Hukilau message board with you as moderator. You could point everyone there and it might be easier to find. Just a thought.

http://forums.thehukilau.com

Mahalo for the interest in an early 2005 Florida ohana gathering at the Hawaiian Inn.

Last year we managed to squeeze in a party in Pablus' suite, a cocktail hour at Julian's as well as Teauila's luau and show. This year I am wondering if anybody wants to start the party earlier in the day and have vending space? The Hawaiian Inn has a meeting room where we could set up Saturday morning, and adjourn there after the show.

If we keep it pretty well limited to TCers, we could blend up some Polynesian punch, play exotica music, etc. and not have to wedge ourselves into Pablus' room -- He still needs to be in charge of the mixology, however.

We still need to hear from NeptuneTiki, Cybertiki, Pablus, Flounder, and Benzart, plus others that were with us last year or at the Hukilau.

(Swanky: thanks for offering your site, but I don't think a separate forum is necessary. My approach last January and the way I would do it again in 2005 is to basically reach an agreement on TC for a bunch of us to all show up at the Hawaiian Inn at the same time with a bottle of our favorite rum. Since you are so close, you, Christie and BK should come to.)

KG

[ Edited by: kailuageoff on 2004-10-17 19:09 ]

P

I'm in.

But only if someone - ANYONE - goes down to the beach with me for a midnight swim.

Last year, I walked out to shore alone with 2 drinks and sat there for an half an hour waiting on someone to show up.
Then I got thirsty again.

That just won't do.
Are we allowed to have a fire on the beach there?

Pablus,
You da man, but unfortunately there are no fires on the beach. In January the only people swimming in the ocean are Canadians, however, I hereby promise to do the polar bear swim with you in 2005. If we can find a petite wet suit, maybe Flounder will join us.

Last year it was kind of weird that some people were passing out before the show started. With that in mind here's new rule #1: No brownies until after the show.

I'm going to go ahead and start a new thread here: http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=11388&forum=4

for the 2005 Hawaiian Inn party, so this thread can remain a posting place for tiki things going on in Florida.
KG

[ Edited by: Kailuageoff on 2004-10-18 09:34 ]

Is anyone thinking of going to the Mai Kai on New Years Eve? I am about 99% sure that I'm going and wanted to see if some of you were up for it.

L

I was actually thinking about doing the Mai Kai for New Years, since I will probably be in South Florida visiting my parents at that time anyways.

S

Hmm. Maybe I can swing it. I need to come up with a destination between here and Daytona to make as the first stop on the way. Maybe Hale Tiki and BK. Then make a shorter trip on down to Daytona. I just found 3 Hawaiian Inn Leilani's in the last week and a half up here. Maybe they need to visit home!

I'm up for another Hawaiin Inn get-together. This time around, I'll strive to remain conscious through the entire event!

Cheers!

I will be living in Ocala by next month, my wife and I are getting out of Broward County. I hear Daytona is not to far, I have never been there. I made friends with Cybertiki, and Flounder already. I was unable to get to the after party at Hukilau because of the Hurricane preparations I had to make at the house, I was really looking forward to meeting Pablus, and other Floridians as well. Count me in if it happens, and keep us posted.

Aaron

On 2004-10-23 08:54, cybertiki wrote:
I'm up for another Hawaiin Inn get-together. This time around, I'll strive to remain conscious through the entire event!

Cheers!

As apposed to the first half an hour. :)

[ Edited by: FLOUNDERart on 2004-10-23 13:12 ]

On 2004-10-23 13:12, FLOUNDERart wrote:

As apposed to the first half an hour. :)

Time is an illusion ... I musta passed thru some sorta warp if that was only a half hour. I seem to remember drinking a helluva lot. I was drinking outside by the pool for at least a couple of hours before anyone else even showed up. Sadly, it wasn't the alcohol that finally did me in! I'll leave the more potent painkillers home next time around.

BTW - they have a free sushi setup in the Molokai every Wednesday at Mai-Kai. When are you coming down? We need to do sushi again! Your shirt is finished, and I'll be sending it out on Monday, so you should look for it on Tuesday AM.

Cheers!

We showed up later than you did so it only seemed like I saw you far a half an hour. I know if any man can hold his rum it's you and Pablus of course.

Can wait to get the shirt. Mai Kai is probably going to be a while I'm so busy.

How's the free sushi?

S

The free sushi is quite good! And plenty of it.

We are most definitely in for the Hawaiian Inn on January 22! In - In - In!!!
Yeah!!!!!

This time however, I need to know what to bring to contribute to the drinks. Pablus is the man for drinks! Pablus --- You are truly a tiki mixologist! You are the best!

Also, we are going to be in Orlando on Wednesday, November 10th for the night. Most people are off on Thursday in honor of Veteran's Day. Any TC's want to get together? Any ideas?

PI

In Orlando, I recommend Disney's Polynesian Resort or Royal Pacific Resort at Universal, which has a couple of cool bars and a nice tropical feel: http://themeparks.universalstudios.com/orlando/website/resort_hotels/rp_amenities.html

Maybe we can meet for drinks at either place. My boyfriend and I live right near the Royal Pacific and head down to the Polynesian a lot too.

Somebody down in Florida, hook a good bro up and get me some sort of work so I can get down there sooner than later!!! Florida rocks!

P

The Hawaiian Inn itself - the bar areas, both outside and in, could use a serious sprucing up.

I wonder if they could be approached about getting the Master Bamboo-ologist himself to tear into the place a few days before the gathering and then celebrate with the TC ohana.

They could probably get some press out of it as well. Maybe bring Coombs in to do a Tiki for their entrance or something along with the Rev. and his bamboo work.

Ben/Pablus,
Doing the bar in bamboo would be a great project. However, I wonder if after all the lost business from the Hurricanes, they have the dinero to do it. I'll ask Wayne if he's interested. They were doing some remodeling to the showroom before the storms hit, but I have no idea where they are with any it as of now. Maybe something could be worked out. It sure would be a great to have Ben join us in January.

Speaking of Wayne Coombs, he just finished a custom job for me. I'll post photos as soon as I get them.
KG

[ Edited by: Kailuageoff on 2004-10-25 09:59 ]

On 2004-10-24 16:14, NeptuneTiki wrote:
Also, we are going to be in Orlando on Wednesday, November 10th for the night. Most people are off on Thursday in honor of Veteran's Day. Any TC's want to get together? Any ideas?

Neptune,
You can count on us for Wednesday, Nov. 10. Tonight I'm going to look for that tropical-themed Chinese place on I-Drive you told me about. I'll let you know what I find.
If that works we also could play a round of tiki golf.

Tiki Island Adventure Golf
"With 36 miniature-golf holes, Tiki statues, waterfalls, caves, and more, Tiki Island Adventure Golf is sure to provide fun for the entire family."
Address: 7460 International Dr Orlando
Tel: 1 407 248-8180

[ Edited by: Kailuageoff on 2004-10-27 09:00 ]

On 2004-10-25 08:09, pablus wrote:

The Hawaiian Inn itself - the bar areas, both outside and in, could use a serious sprucing up.

I wonder if they could be approached about getting the Master Bamboo-ologist himself to tear into the place a few days before the gathering and then celebrate with the TC ohana.

They could probably get some press out of it as well. Maybe bring Coombs in to do a Tiki for their entrance or something along with the Rev. and his bamboo work.

That would be sweet!!! Your going to need an assistant, and I'm your man. I have an awesome set of tools.

Has anyone other than Neptunetiki heard of a Chinese restaurant on International Drive in Orlando called "MaiTiki"? (I especially wonder if Wayne Coombs knows about it.)

I had never heard of this place so when Neptune told me he had stumbled into and out of it awhile back, I had to check it out.

First off, it isn't a tiki bar -- but it does have some great vintage tiki decor including a couple of war clubs, some spears, a constellation of great old-style hanging lamps (puffer fish, fish traps, glass floats, seashell/tapa and several types of bamboo). There is a fair amount of bamboo and thatch roofs over the booth areas, a large aquarium, a huge Maori mask and a dragon mask, and a dugout canoe hanging from the ceiling. The only tikis, unfortunately, were fiberglass ones guarding the front doors.

The restaurant is actually part of a Kobe Japanese Steakhouse which is accessed through a side doorway. They have a sushi bar as well.

The waitress told me the restaurant has been there for twenty years and they remodeled the Chinese portion of it five years ago. She thought that is when they put up the tiki decor, but wasn't sure. I have an e-mail address for the owner, so I'm going to try and find out where they got the lamps, etc.

The drinks are served in white ceramic Japanese mugs which can be purchased. Our favorite tiki drinks were not on the menu, however. I had a Samurai Sansu which included gin, pineapple juice and coconut cream. It was pretty good. Then I asked if the bar tender could make a Mai-Tai. Big mistake on his part and mine. Yuck! Oh well. On the positive side, the food was decent and the portions huge.

This place is definitely tiki de-evolution, but well worth checking out if you are in the area.

Mr and Mrs. NeptuneTiki and us will be there Nov. 10, if anyone else wants to join us. I think we can be there around 7.
KG

PS -- I also found out there is another Hawaiian-themed mini-golf featuring a volcano on I-drive called "Hawaiian Rumble Golf". It's close to the MaiTiki restaurant, but the few tikis I saw looked like poorly done rip-offs of Wayne Coombs' style. Their volcano is awe-inspiring, however. It looked to be at least three stories high with a waterfall gushing from the top of it. Still, I think the Tiki Golf mentioned higher in this thread looks like a more enjoyable course, if anyone wants to do that after dinner.

[ Edited by: Kailuageoff on 2004-10-28 10:19 ]

Pages: 1 25 replies