Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

tiki and hoarding

Pages: 1 6 replies

I came across an article about hoarding - that tendency to collect and keep stuff and not throw it away. The author of the article is into tiki, so I thought I would share the link here. http://www.suntimes.com/output/entertainment/cst-ftr-hoarding13.html

Here is an excerpt that most of us can probably agree on, and a great reason to justify a tiki decor .... "When I visit someone's home or office and I see unadorned walls, I conclude they are boring. Conversely, if the place is cluttered, I find that stimulating"

I did the proper thing by printing out a hardcopy version of the article, and saved it to my personal archives.

Vern

I watch Hoarders almost every week and wonder who in our group has found it was time to purge and stop acquiring. At what point did you realize it was too much?

:up: I was going to post the same thing. Especially the part that James Teitelbaum wrote which I think is great. I've bookmarked it and re-read it every once in a while. I try to use it as a guideline. I still want more things and I won't stop buying what I really like but I don't need to have everything.

Also whenever I watch Hoarders my paper shredder is quickly turned on and shredding away within seconds.

MT

It's amazing how much paperwork and mail can accumulate. We've been purging and shredding papers like crazy around here - a few times our heavy duty shredder actually overheated, and had to cool down for a couple of hours before it became operational. If the volume increased any more, then we'd have to step up to a wood chipper!

We're turning a big corner here at Casa de Mai Tai - the tiki bar is shaping up nicely, the master bedroom is days away from being completed and lived in, we're starting to plan out the back yard including a deck and cool water features and such. We just have to finish organizing the home office, and clean out the mess that is the garage.

I have to make one more run to the dumps, to dispose of the last of the dirty filthy dust mite infested carpet stinking up the joint. We've been thinking about having one last garage sale, our swan song of garage sales, so to speak. But we've also had serious discussion about simply hauling all of the stuff to the dumps as well, and permanently disposing of it all there, whether it it has real or perceived value, or no value at all. Whether we sell all of the contents of the garage, give it all away, or dump it, it all has to go right away, and I wonder if the small proceeds earned from a garage sale would be worth the effort put forth in sorting, labeling, dragging everything onto the front lawn, and then endless negotiating and haggling to earn that cash? Or should I simply drag it all to the dumps instead? Or drag it only as far as the front yard and give it all away while posting it all on Craigslist and Freecycle? Perhaps Coco Loco and I should have the world's coolest "Garage Sale" themed party? Thoughts?

On 2012-01-26 22:02, Mai Tai wrote:
Thoughts?

Invite Storage Wars and American Pickers.

MT

Only if they'll take EVERYTHING, lock, stock, and barrel.

Pages: 1 6 replies