Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Marketplace

eBay: Amazing What A Piece Of Paper Can Go For

Pages: 1 15 replies

WTF!!?? It started at $1.00 too! eBay fever has struck again! Anyone want to wager on the flurry of menus posted after this sale?

I once got sucked into the battle and paid waaaaaaay to much for a shirt I really wanted. Lesson learned.

The higher priced menus on Ebay are usually the ones with beautiful color images of the coctails in their tiki mugs. Instead, what makes this one so desireable is the fact that I don't think a Stockton Islander menu has appeared on Ebay for a couple of years. (I could be wrong). Stockton Islander collectors also have a deep affection and bond to this restaurant. The mugs were so varied and appear often, but the paper items are rare. The cover contains the same image of the restaurant that's on the postcard.

Sabu

On 2004-10-18 01:42, Sabu The Coconut Boy wrote:
Stockton Islander collectors also have a deep affection and bond to this restaurant.

You are so right Sabu. We know of a few of them here.

D

That's nothing!I saw a menu go for over $500.00-it might have been a tiki bob menu-I almost fell off the computer chair!

D

Damn, that is absolutely insane. I think I saw a full color Hawaii Kai menu, with drink and interior photos, etc. go for about $100 less than this menu. Imean this menu isn't even that cool looking. I have a full color postcard of the same photo that appears on this Islander menu, and I don't think I bought it for much. If there is that big a demand for this type of stuff, I would unload the postcard. Anybody know if that type of thing is also that heavily in demand?

B

Sabu,
That may be true, but from my perspective, a couple of folks need their heads examined. We have spent what I consider way too much for what is essentially useless, frivolous, junk but there is a rational limit to our indulgences. They spent more on that menu than we paid for our giant Tiki from the Kona Kai!

L

Anyone going to the Hooptylau may feel free to express their condolences to the next highest bidder.

Probably would have gone much higher if he put "tiki" in the title.

D

KohalaCharms,the winning bidder,is a TC member.I would LOVE to have him post picks of his treasures-I've been watching his bids (mostly winning)for quite a while.He's got a whale of a collection.

I've just bought from ebay a mid sixties London Hilton Trader Vic drinks menu and a food menu. MINT condition $3.50

That's a decent price, even for a common menu.

On 2004-10-18 09:43, boutiki wrote:
Sabu,
That may be true, but from my perspective, a couple of folks need their heads examined. We have spent what I consider way too much for what is essentially useless, frivolous, junk but there is a rational limit to our indulgences. They spent more on that menu than we paid for our giant Tiki from the Kona Kai.

I agree with Boutiki, some of the prices on menus seem to sky rocket for no reason then other times they can be had fairly cheap depending upon condition and tiki factor. I picked up an awesome Islander menu with a giant tiki on the cover for approximately $100 two weeks ago. This seems to be the going rate for higher end tiki menus. Hopefully a book filled with these menus will become a reality soon (I am working on one). That way everyone can enjoy these wonderfully colorful menus from our Polynesian past.

Jeff

aloha jeff~

do you mean the LA islander menu? if so, those menus are a lot more common. the la islander menu is a great collectible though and contains excellent artwork. however, the STOCKTON islander menu is rare. two of their drink menus (which were both different due to different owners) sold earlier this year for well over $400 each. before these two menus were offered, i had only seen one on ebay in the year 2000. that menu was in a lot of 5 menus, had no photo or description, was listed poorly, and yet still sold for over $250. i think the fascination lies with the fact that the STOCKTON islander had a very prolific variety of tiki mugs, hence there were more artwork of mugs in the menu. not to mention that on at least one of the drink menus, there is a large andres bumatay tiki on the cover.

i would agree that the menu that sparked this controversy is sub-par as compared to the other two i have seen. this does not change the fact that it is a rare menu. this was a dinner menu (only drink menus have been listed before), with a weird "new" owners name listed, that has never been listed or seen by islander collectors.

value is a subjective thing. what's worth a lot to one person, isnt necessarily going to be worth that to you. that's the bottom line of this post.

boutiki: when did you buy your tiki? are you suggesting that if you listed it on ebay that you would only get $300 for it? you know as well as i do that it would go for A LOT more than that. (but if you are willing to sell it for 350 bucks, i'll take it! :) )

jeff~ your book idea sounds awesome! we know some folks who may be willing to help you with it. if your interested, i can contact them.

:drink:

ps: WE are the islander whores.

Crazy, yes, but if you are willing to pay it, then I guess it isn't crazy to you. I've paid $2000 for an old skateboard, so paying big money for vintage items on ebay is a common thing for collectors, right?

D

Jeff Central-put me down for a book of menus-they're my big passion.

Collecting is the main factor and psycho obsession would cover the other end of it. I just paid 200 for a t3s ("s" mind you) frankoma god of war and though it is damn cool, I have to sell some stuff to help cover the cost and make room. So capitalism is good but definitely has it's downside. Ebay is the best and worst thing to spawn from the internet. As I say "Ebay is the devil." But... wait, I got to go and see how those things I am watching are doing, about time to bid. Oh yeah, I have successfully wasted about 30 seconds of your life on this rant, hee hee. Boat drinks!!

Pages: 1 15 replies