Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

SHAG prints: on sale now to all Grand Members

Pages: 1 11 replies

Get them while you still can!

If you purchase a Grand Membership I will make my best effort to update your account in a timely manor, but I can't guarantee you'll be upgraded in time to get a set.

~Hanford

[ Edited by: hanford_lemoore on 2004-10-18 20:04 ]

just ordered mine. Very excited.

thank you for such a great offer.

now the tiki gods will be smiling on me always!!

JT

Just ordered mine and can't wait to experiment with frames!

I noticed Shag is selling the same prints (artist proof) at an upcoming show in London.

I thought this was a Tiki Central Exclusive?

On 2004-10-19 10:00, Jax Tiki wrote:
I noticed Shag is selling the same prints (artist proof) at an upcoming show in London.

I believe he is just showing the proof.

http://shag.com/CallofKapu.html

On 2004-10-19 10:00, Jax Tiki wrote:

Any time you hear the words 'artist's proof', you're dealing with a whole different set of rules. The run may be extremely limited or there could be a fair number of them knocking about. Sometimes their value exceeds the original limited run, while other times they struggle to be sold.

Sometimes the artist will just give them to their mates, sometimes they sell them on. Sometimes they like having them so they can write on a more personal message.

Bottom line is that they are the artists and they can do with them whatever they see fit.

BTW, I'm stunned by the fine array of artist's proofs on offer in London. Great stuff there.

Trader Woody

Wait till you see the price of the ap price of the gallery. I would think anywhere from 250-500.

So I think 80.00 more than suffices for an incredible deal. Also Shag only does 5-15 ap's per print. He gives only one of those per show.

His shows artist's proof sell out typically within an hour of the show.

So to recap, I wish I could buy two. Because then once that goes to the aftermarket ie ebay it could go to "sky's the limt"

Singed new but learning the shag game.

On 2004-10-19 13:11, tikiEAMES wrote:

So to recap, I wish I could buy two. Because then once that goes to the aftermarket ie ebay it could go to "sky's the limt"

Booooooo!!!! That blows.

Buy Tiki because you like Tiki, not because you like the potential $$$.

Trader Woody

Buy Two was only a wish? Because I am truly inspired by his work. When does a medium collapse into all of your likes, and ties to your humor?

I would never sell, unless I became destitute, and then probably not.

So to recap, I wish I could buy two. I can barely afford one. And I would not sell, but think that the positiives of owning and collecting Shag more than outweigh it all.

so to recap boo to you as well and happy halloween!

JT

I'm guessing the AP will be priced around $350. I haven't seen an AP from recent Shag shows for under $400

On 2004-10-19 17:31, tikiEAMES wrote:

So to recap, I wish I could buy two. I can barely afford one. And I would not sell, but think that the positiives of owning and collecting Shag more than outweigh it all.

Well, you mentioned the auction........
I'd also suggest that as a fan of Shag, you'd be best served buying two different prints rather than two of the same one.

Anyway, I'm sure your intentions are good and that you just appreciate a fine artist. I was just pointing out that those that buy up collectable Tiki items just to sell on eBay are regarded by many on Tiki Central as the bottom feeders of Tiki culture. You'll probably see the reaction when a new grand member with no posts inevitably sells their Tiki Central Shag prints on eBay!

Trader Woody

Yes I am a recent shag fan, went to pick of the Litter show in Denver and purchased the "melancholy wolfman", just bought the Modcom "Los Angeles Modern" Print. And two days ago purcased the four tiki's.

I am really enjoying the site, I just don't post enough. Intentions are good. As a collector, I have learned to always take as much as you can afford at that moment. As you will kick yourself after the fact.

There are good things to ebay. I've collected modern for only 5 years, and have an incredible modern furniture collection including, eames, corbusier, knoll, arne jacobsen and george nelson. Which has been completely fueled by my collecting and ebay selling of either pieces I don't want or have multiples of--or trading up.

[ Edited by: tikiEAMES on 2004-10-20 14:03 ]

Just a note from the Shag show in London, 'The Call of Kapu'. The Tiki Central prints were on sale for the British equivalent of $485 (nicely framed). Other artists proofs were a variety of prices, but mostly cheaper, so we certainly got a bargain here on Tiki Central.

I understand that Shag priced both prints and original artwork on a strict current currency conversion policy, which is very cool. A lot of artists will just crank up their prices a few notches when showing abroad.

The show print(s) "Hu-Hula 1 & 2" was a sell-out. I got the last one(s) just before the second preview night closed! It must have been mayhem on the first night. Sounds like Shagmart might be opening a British wing, which is great news for anyone in the European Union. (No more ludicrous tax bills)

I'm kicking myself for not taking a photo of the Tiki Central prints as framed by Shag, but they were individually framed on a white/cream background with black frames, arranged 2 on top of the other 2, (like a square) if that makes sense.

Trader Woody

Pages: 1 11 replies